Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All JCW owners.

My name is Dru. I'm new to this forum and new to JCW model so bare with me. I currently own a Countryman, but will be upgrading to a F56 JCW next week. Before I go forward and order it, could someone help me out regarding Dynamic Dampers and Lowering Spring. I know this question probably have been ask but I couldn't find it anywhere on the forum or NWM forum. Please don't be rude.

If you know of links to direct me to right answer, that will be helpful too.

1. Can I lower my car with dynamic dampers? Is it worth the $500 or should I go with the stock and put the $500 towards the lower spring.

2. What are the best brand for Lower Springs (mind you, I don't want to slam it and coil over are over my budget at this moment) I just want to close the wheel gap a little. It's more for the aggressive look.

Additional information: I will be running 18 inch stock rims.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

-Dru

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any car dynamic dampers are not is compromised with lower springs as you effectivly shorten the damper length which is not ideal, having dynamic dampers or not makes no difference to you using lowering springs, the only difference is the stiffness of the dampers can be adjusted +10% with the dynamic damper option, whereby non-dynamic dampers are fixed rates.

If you want to lower and retain travel etc you should opt for the JCW coilovers or an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I would LOVE to get coil overs, but currently not an option. So, no lower springs at all? Any good brand?

I'm thinking of just going with the standard JCW springs.

Here's my build.

Moonwalk Grey / White top, 18" two - tone JCW Cup Spoke Wheels, Full loaded package, roof rail, rear foglights, 6speed Auto w/ Paddle Shifters, stand Sport Suspension.

I think it will look deadly when it's lowered.

What do you guys think?

Again, thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You still can use lowering springs. I am just not a fan of DDC,s. My F56(not a JCW) has stock springs only and I will install NM lowering Springs soon.:)

check these out on Ebay

Mini Cooper S JCW F56 Coil Over Suspension Strut Springs Kit 2014-2017 B46 OEM
or you can order them from fermanbmw direct.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There are a few options which include NM, H&R and Eibach lowering springs.

If you are in the US then NM seem a very popular choice when retaining VDC dampers. NM do recommend that you cut down the bump stops as to retain some suspension travel without hitting bump stops too frequently.

I know some have mentioned coilovers but only KW produce EDC cancellation kit for cars with electronic damping. Not relevent if you are just lowering with springs.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Remember your JCW will come with sport suspension which is stiffer than having the DDC setup! Save the $500 and put that money toward the pro-coilover suspension or other that suits your taste. If you modify a car with the DDC it will be rendered useless anyway....you will be wasting $500!

Also, just a thought....my JCW has "settled" some after some driving time so the gap will close up a bit on its own! You might want to wait a little and get used to your stock JCW sport suspension before ripping it off for $$! I'm loving mine just the way it is right now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
02 fanatic,

Thanks for the heads up on the springs. Would you mind telling me how much it settled or perhaps share an image of the gap? I want a visual of it what it possible look like. This will help me determine whether or not to lower it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
KW does make a variant of the coil-overs with DDC. I have no experience with them so you may want to ask around about this option.

http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NMS...-Kw-Street-Comfort-W--Dynamic-Damper-Gen3-F56
As I mentioned in an earler post.. KW have a kit to cancel the Electronic Damping (just a plug really) which are the kits like above so not to be confused with thinking that Electronic Dampers still work on the car after coilover inattaltion.

Some kits e.g. v2, v3, Clubsport do offer damping adjustment (rebound or/and bump), however this is a manual adjustment where you need to have access to the adjustment points on the damper itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As I mentioned in an earler post.. KW have a kit to cancel the Electronic Damping (just a plug really) which are the kits like above so not to be confused with thinking that Electronic Dampers still work on the car after coilover inattaltion.
thanks for clarifying. i was under the impression that the additional 210$ would be for more than just a plug. It would probably be cheaper to have any potential error coded out...

·
Registered
615 Posts
thanks for clarifying. i was under the impression that the additional 210$ would be for more than just a plug. It would probably be cheaper to have any potential error coded out...
When I contacted KW UK regarding the possibility of buying the "plugs" seperately they informed me that the top mount for the KW kits with EDC are different to the ones without so are not sold seperately as I had an option to buy a used set of KW's but was put off by KW response to me that they will not fit cars with EDC.

Here in EU the price of the KW kits for EDC and non EDC are the same so surprised if they are charging more in other regions?

I also looked into getting the Mini JCW coilovers (rebranded KW v1 with some tweaks) as to retain full Mini warranty but was told by a couple of dealers and Mini directly that all warranty on the JCW coilovers will be void as the kit is not intended to be fitted to cars with Electronic damping... so be warned if anyone wants to go this route thinking warranty will be covered with cars with EDC!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
02 fanatic,

Thanks for the heads up on the springs. Would you mind telling me how much it settled or perhaps share an image of the gap? I want a visual of it what it possible look like. This will help me determine whether or not to lower it.

Thanks!
I measured the front & rear tire gaps, and the fronts are right around 5.8mm & the rears are 5.5mm, or between approx. 2-1/4" (front) to 2-5/32" (rear). Obviously, lowering will get you a drop of 1" to 1-1/2" typically....that would look good for sure. Only thing I hesitate on is the side view of a dropped car, where the opening is no longer concentric...there's nothing you can do with the gap on the sides and it actually looks wider the lower you go! Btw, the deflectors in front of the front tires are only about 9.3mm to 9.5mm on my JCW in stock form, presently, so lowering will make the deflectors 1" to 1-1/2" closer the ground as well. Most say it's not a problem with rubbing however. If you slam the car down though, the deflectors will be toast in no time!

Here are a couple of pics taken in the garage...hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I would LOVE to get coil overs, but currently not an option. So, no lower springs at all? Any good brand?

I'm thinking of just going with the standard JCW springs.

Here's my build.

Moonwalk Grey / White top, 18" two - tone JCW Cup Spoke Wheels, Full loaded package, roof rail, rear foglights, 6speed Auto w/ Paddle Shifters, stand Sport Suspension.

I think it will look deadly when it's lowered.

What do you guys think?

Again, thanks for all the advice.
ditch the run flats. I went from cup to 17" running sport p1 tyres. world of difference then play with suspension if not happy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.