Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Much is Too Much? MINI has often told us that they won’t be players in hot-hatch power wars and will instead focus on MINI’s forte – dynamics. Yet the 350 hp Focus RS and the 306 hp VW GTS Clubsport beg the question – should the JCW be putting out more power?

Lets look at the F300 from Manhart for a moment. Manhart is a well respected Motorsports company that takes tuning very seriously. And apparently takes modifying JCWs seriously as well. The F300 is a 300 hp variation of the 2.0L B48A20 JCW power plant. The upgrade kit (3.270,12 € / $3662.89) consists of software remapping and vmcx-removal, catless downpipes and intercooler. Perhaps unsurprisingly that’s it.

Most modern 2.0L four cylinders have the potential for substantial range in power output. For years we’ve heard rumors that the B46/B48 BMW four cylinder would range in output from 190 hp to 300 hp. However the notoriously conservative BMW has thus far only given us three tunes of the power plant – 189 (Cooper S), 231 (JCW and various BMWs) and 240 hp (various BMWs). Rumors of 260 hp and 300 hp variants persist with the latter being part of a M Performance offering (coupled with all wheel drive) destined for the X1 and forthcoming X2.

Where does that leave JCW? For now 231 is the answer. And according to sources that number will stay the same on the larger Clubman JCW All4 when it debuts later this year. The upgrade path to 240 is rather easy considering BMW already has a tune of the B48 at that level. And if there’s a M Performance variants that ups the power even further one would expect it could make an excellent choice for a high performance Clubman or Countryman in All4 guise.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/05/19/manharts-f300-a-300-hp-jcw-mini/

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Speaking of power, I've just requested a quote to have my SD remapped to 235hp with CelticTuning and I've also asked my insurance for a quote for this modification. If my insurance doesn't go up too much I'll be booking it in! :) My SD may end up being a JCW beater... who knows.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is foreign to me as well - how would they know how much power your mods have?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have a serious accident (speaking from the uk) especially if any fatalities, your car can be fully inspected and diagnosed and they will find the mods including the remap.

Once they marry their inspection log against your insurance doc.. Well you can figure out the rest however it doesn't end well.

I regards to how much power gains you declare, I'm not sure how they would know however through a proper inspection in this day and age I would expect them to figure this out as it stores boost pressures etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Yes here in the uk insurers seem to regard any user ie non factory mod as a money maker. My ins company told me I'd have to pay extra when I told them I had switched from summer to winter tyres in the winter for safety. To be fair they did refund most of it when I complained that I was actually making the car safer at my expense, but if it's not stock they want to know and charge extra. For everything . If you don't tell them and have to make a claim they use this as a get out. Eg non std eg k and n air filter, extra charge, stainless sports exhaust,extra charge, bigger alloys ditto.To be fair we've found the insurance on our unmodified cars very cheap. Ie mini Cooper s roadster s and mini f56 cooper both £160 fully comp with protected no claims. On motorbikes many insurers allow you two mods without extra but ramp it up after that.!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To be fair we've found the insurance on our unmodified cars very cheap. Ie mini Cooper s roadster s and mini f56 cooper both £160 fully comp with protected no claims. On motorbikes many insurers allow you two mods without extra but ramp it up after that.!
I was going to say..with all those restrictions I would hope the normal rate is cheaper!

I don't think I've heard of any US companies caring what modifications are done per se, instead basing the rates off the factory HP and/or engine size. I'm sure if you had pretty extensive mods though and got into an accident, getting your claim paid out gets that much harder though...

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's very much a case of don't give the slimeball insurance companies any excuse not to pay out in the UK.

I'm with Admiral and they were quite sensible to mods on my other car. I had a remap, stainless exhaust and uprated brakes, it cost me about £30 to declare them.

Admiral were also very good about winter tyres and wasn't interested, I don't even need to tell them when I have swapped them over. Any insurance company that wants to charge more for winter tyres needs a toe up their backside

·
Registered
64 Posts
How Much is Too Much? MINI has often told us that they won’t be players in hot-hatch power wars and will instead focus on MINI’s forte – dynamics. Yet the 350 hp Focus RS and the 306 hp VW GTS Clubsport beg the question – should the JCW be putting out more power?

Lets look at the F300 from Manhart for a moment. Manhart is a well respected Motorsports company that takes tuning very seriously. And apparently takes modifying JCWs seriously as well. The F300 is a 300 hp variation of the 2.0L B48A20 JCW power plant. The upgrade kit (3.270,12 € / $3662.89) consists of software remapping and vmcx-removal, catless downpipes and intercooler. Perhaps unsurprisingly that’s it.

Most modern 2.0L four cylinders have the potential for substantial range in power output. For years we’ve heard rumors that the B46/B48 BMW four cylinder would range in output from 190 hp to 300 hp. However the notoriously conservative BMW has thus far only given us three tunes of the power plant – 189 (Cooper S), 231 (JCW and various BMWs) and 240 hp (various BMWs). Rumors of 260 hp and 300 hp variants persist with the latter being part of a M Performance offering (coupled with all wheel drive) destined for the X1 and forthcoming X2.

Where does that leave JCW? For now 231 is the answer. And according to sources that number will stay the same on the larger Clubman JCW All4 when it debuts later this year. The upgrade path to 240 is rather easy considering BMW already has a tune of the B48 at that level. And if there’s a M Performance variants that ups the power even further one would expect it could make an excellent choice for a high performance Clubman or Countryman in All4 guise.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/05/19/manharts-f300-a-300-hp-jcw-mini/
It seems that almost every car engine available today comes in a variety of tuned options designed to reflect the character and characteristics that the manufacturer is seeking to sell, reliability has to be one of their primary concerns during the warranty period - after all they don't want to be forking out for loads of warranty claims.
Of all the cars that I have had in more recent years, and these include an AMG C32, TT, a Jag XF and XFS, I've only had one remapped so far (the TT). There were differences in terms of performance and economy, the insurance company weren't really bothered, but the car was out of warranty.
Bearing in mind the warranty and service pack on the new JCW has quite a time to run, I'm not sure that I'll be looking for any remaps too soon unless they are sanctioned by Mini themselves - don't want to give them an excuse to not honour any claims, even though the engine is clearly more than capable of some mild work.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Biggest issue with the Manhart car is that it has no cat, which is illegal here in the UK. I know lots of people do it, but your car is taxed based on its emissions output, and taking the cat out means you need to pay more tax.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Biggest issue with the Manhart car is that it has no cat, which is illegal here in the UK. I know lots of people do it, but your car is taxed based on its emissions output, and taking the cat out means you need to pay more tax.....
Thing is if you make the car more efficient with a cleaner burn, via e85, water injection etc you have absolutely no chance of a hm gov rebate :nerd:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.