Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out and about with the wife and family over the last few days, so have been using her Ford Focus (bit of a squeeze in the Mini).

Back in the MCS today, with the power and handling that I prefer :). But the gear-change... I hadn't realised just how "notchy" it is (even compared with the Focus). Don't think it's just my current mini either - pretty sure it was the same on the R56 (and the test drive cars).

Does the JCW have a slicker gear-change?

Are there any mods available that can improve this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the same recently... Little mini went in for some accident repair work... I got a courtesy car and really noticed the smoothness of the gears - certainly made my little mini feel not by afterwards. I had the mini in to be checked and they said the gear was normal and they tend to be a little notchy

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think it's great! Positive action, a nice snick between gears. My only complaint is that there isn't enough of a detent protecting accidental selection of reverse instead of 1st

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I think I may have scared a few people at traffic lights when I've accidentally popped it in to reverse! Getting used to it now but you're right, it's easily done.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When i first for the F56, I was engaging reverse all the time.... haven't done it for ages #touchwood .... a glance at the dash to check the gear selected is now a habit! But i agree that reverse and first is very close, i think a collar selector or a 'down and across' selection would make things better. I bet there have been a few near misss for some!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It depends of ride mode. In eco and normal, the gas response is slower, so at low speeds changing from 1 to 2 gear is smoother.
I had my adaptions reset from my gearbox by the dealer. That helped a bit

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
The combination of a short throw shifter and a Cravenspeed shifter retaining clip took a lot of the free play out of the stock Mini feel, or lack there of.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
The combination of a short throw shifter and a Cravenspeed shifter retaining clip took a lot of the free play out of the stock Mini feel, or lack there of.
Yep. Cravenspeed short shifter, retaining clip, and shift knob has mine exactly the way I want it. It takes a conscious effort to select reverse. This combo gives everything a very positive feel, kinda like a big toggle switch.
http://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustable-short-shifter/
http://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shift-knob/
http://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shifter-retaining-clip-pro/

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My only real complaint so far with my MT JCW is the "feel" of the clutch and shifter. It appears to be getting better as I drive the car more (since I'm still under 600 miles), but the clutch is definitely lighter than my vintage Bimmers & the shifter is "not notchy enough" for me! I like a crisp "feel" and a little effort to get the gear I want (reduces errors), but it needs to be easily selectable (no guessing & efficient...i.e. FAST).

I pefer the stock shifter "look", but maybe some day someone will come up with a shift kit to shorten the "throw" similar to the UUC Shift Kit I have on my 1988 BMW E28 M5. I also believe the "supposedly 0.2 second slower" 0-60 time with the 6MT compared to the 6AUTO JCW is attributed to the time lost when shifting manually. With a solid shifter arrangement that time can be made up! :D

John

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
My only real complaint so far with my MT JCW is the "feel" of the clutch and shifter. It appears to be getting better as I drive the car more (since I'm still under 600 miles), but the clutch is definitely lighter than my vintage Bimmers & the shifter is "not notchy enough" for me! I like a crisp "feel" and a little effort to get the gear I want (reduces errors), but it needs to be easily selectable (no guessing & efficient...i.e. FAST).

I pefer the stock shifter "look", but maybe some day someone will come up with a shift kit to shorten the "throw" similar to the UUC Shift Kit I have on my 1988 BMW E28 M5. I also believe the "supposedly 0.2 second slower" 0-60 time with the 6MT compared to the 6AUTO JCW is attributed to the time lost when shifting manually. With a solid shifter arrangement that time can be made up! :D

John
My shifter is the stock mini with the NM adapter and cravenspeed retaining clip. The sifter is positive with a more define gate. Almost ratchet like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts