Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Manual

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s got to be auto any day of the week. Day to day driving in traffic is a joy and you arrive fresh, as most days you are in a traffic jam, you can still put it in ‘manual’ and have some fun. ( not as good as an actual manual, for the purists but not far off)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been driving Double Clutch 'Autos' since 2013 and currently both our cars, including an F54 S, have them. I'd say for day to day use, they are difficult to beat?

That said, I've been using my Daughters A1 Tdi manual of late and have been shocked at just how enjoyable, rowing a "stick shift' again has proven to be?

With a car like the JCW, if I was buying it purely as a toy, I would opt for a manual. If it was a day-to-day runabout, I'd go automatic.

On a reread, this post is of no use whatsoever, so good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Manual. After 30 years of driving manual sports cars, I AM an automatic transmission 😂

Auto is fun in a video game sort of way but much like video games, I get bored with the lack of physical engagement.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Both transmissions are an excellent choice. I have the auto JCW six-speed, and it is one of the best I have driven. Coupled with the JCW powerplant it works a treat. Now, as involvement goes, you can't argue with the manual transmission because you have no choice, but to get involved - foot on clutch and hand changing gears!

If we were having this discussion say 10 years ago, I would say manual, but today's automatics are near perfect and the response times via the paddles are very fast.

It's funny because, when I drive the Mrs manual car, I kinda miss the auto, and when I drive my auto, I think occasionally, wish I had the manual.

Whichever transmission you go for, they are both excellent. The question we should be asking, why are so many people now opting for the automatic transmission on the majority of newer hot hatches and sports cars, is it the ease of driving, speed, etc or is it because they are far more suited to a modern high powered car in today's environment?

The auto always costs more than £1k more than the standard manual, so it cant be down to price.

I prefer a manual transmission in a small car with say 150 bhp or less. This way you can really rev it high between gears and enjoy the experience without breaking the speed limit. Anything 200BHP the auto works better. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The 8 speed auto is such a great gearbox. The paddles are awesome on a b road blast, I just wish they were a bit bigger, made a mechanical clicking sound when pulled, and aluminium.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had 2020 jcw auto. It’s sport gearbox with dual clutch, and in my poin of view it’s better that manual, as it’s have no gap between a shifting

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had 2020 jcw auto. It’s sport gearbox with dual clutch, and in my poin of view it’s better that manual, as it’s have no gap between a shifting
The JCW doesn't have the dual clutch DCT auto box. It uses the 8 speed Aisin gearbox with single clutch. The DCT fitted to the Cooper S can't handle the extra power of the JCW.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My 2015 JCW is one of the first to leave the Oxford plant in 2015 with the 6-speed Getrag transmission. I waited a long time for it (the manual trans), and it was worth it for sure! When I first drove an auto JCW at my dealer while waiting on mine to be built, I couldn't even drive the thing! Being old school isn't cool sometimes! :)

Once my MINI Advisor took over the wheel, he made a believer out of me right away since I could see what the automatic could really do! He must have thought I was a real old fart! But, we are still friends and he knows that some of us actually "prefer" driving the car ourselves with a clutch and not relying on electronics! I always say the automatic is wonderful until it breaks, then the manual car will pass it by on the highway still motoring with the driver smiling!

It's really a personal choice, both are wonderful. But, we also have a 2015 Countryman S All4 with automatic trans & sport mode...it's a N18 turbo engine not an F56 twin scroll turbo (BMW) engine, but it's still quick, and at times I do enjoy using the paddles although they are a bit quirky. I usually still enjoy the manual in my JCW more. I feel lucky to have both so I can enjoy both. The manual is definitely more of a "fun" car though while the CMS is more of the grocery getter/errand car.

Now, if only I had ordered the cd player as an available option on the JCW in 2015, all would be right in the world! :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I test drove both transmissions multiple times and chose the auto over the manual. I felt the restrictor in the clutch line messed up the clutch and the shifter was too rubbery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts