Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my brand new (bought last Dec.) F56 Cooper S hardtop (2 door). Perhaps about 20% of the time when i take off in 1st gear the transmission pops out of first gear.... I slap it back in first gear and take off with no further issues running through the other gears. I took it to the dealership and it didn't happen when we were there (just my luck). THe guy did say however that he is having the same issue on the same exact model as mine.

The thing is... they have not even opened up that transmission yet to see if that's the problem... They just ordered a new one...

Is anyone else having this issue? I've driven a manual all of my life and have racing experience and this has never happened to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Since I got my non S Cooper in June , I have noticed on this forum that there have been a number of manual box S owners who have had jumping out of 1st gear issues , some almost immediately after getting their car.
So it is a known problem, but not worthy of a recall apparently. They must think individual boxes have not been assembled correctly rather an inbuilt design problem, so they are just changing the boxes as the problem arises.

Non S Coopers do not seem to have the same fault, so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Somewhere on here there is a thread about this specific problem. My recollection is that there were several people here with Non-S Coopers with the problem too. (Part of the reason I have indefinitely delayed trading in my R56. :/ )

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have read of non S Automatic Coopers having gearbox software problems, and a Cooper D jumping out of gear, but perhaps due to its increased torque it may have the same box as the petrol S, hence the same issue.

I have not read of non S petrol Coopers jumping out of gear, but I am open to correction!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Ive only heard of S 2 door models having this issue. I was just wondering how widespread the issue was, and if it was a mechanical issue or a problem with the ECU.

I am taking it back on Thursday and will have them take another look at it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got my 5 door diesel two days ago (a demo car), it started popping out of first gear yesterday.

This (besides 60% over spec fuel consumption) has really taken all the fun out of the "new" car purchase.

Money back or replacement with another simular car would be acceptable. I dont have the time or patiens to run back and forth to the dealer, borrowing different loaners to have this fixed and then end up with something that does not feel new and exciting anymore.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The jumping out of gear has been an issue for at least four or five months as far as I can recall, yet they are still producing cars with the same problem.

What is going on? If I had an S,or diesel, I would be not pleased, anticipating it happening to me at any time. Are the boxes being put in as replacement, exactly the same design or have they found the fault and rectified it in the newer boxes?

Doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I test drove a 64 plate SD last weekend and experienced the first gear problem pulling away from traffic lights.
I was already aware of the problem from this forum. When I mentioned it to the salesman he wouldn't comment.
Didn't really enjoy the rest of the test drive, possibly due to the first gear problem. When driving the S, a few months ago, I exited the car wanting it there and then.

One problem I am experiencing, reading this forum and having to wait until June / July to order mine, is the amount of problems people are experiencing with the new Mini.
I know that most forums, for cars, are used by people who have experienced a problem and trying to find an answer. This forum also offers the good points
as well. But, I still can't help feeling the Mini is not quite ready. Especially when they haven't fixed the First gear popping out, which was evident on release.

Scoop.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
As you say majority of people will be perfectly fine and satisfied with the car as so far am I you just don't hear from them. Don't think the new mini is any worse or better than many new cars.even my mum's Toyota had a few (big)issues from New. We moved from Hyundai i20 to mini as it was so awful in spite of the 5year warranty. We're much more satisfied with mini.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi CoopF56.

Thanks for posting this... it helps...

I too have been having issues with my 2105 Mini Cooper S 2 door hardtop popping out of first gear... it happens infrequently which is the problem... dealer says the tranny is fine thus implies that I don't know how to drive a stick shift.... but I know better.... I have driven a ton of manual tranny cars in the last 40+ years.... even if this tranny did not pop out of gear (usually at the most inopportune time) it is no where the action of the one in my test drive (which was a 2104 S).... Dealer says the tranny are the same make and model... Which tells me even more that there is something amiss with this tranny..... this one is balky going into any gear, takes more pressure to shift than it should... it is NO where near to the tranny in either of my two Miata's.... I really like the Mini but am beginning to think I should have waited for the 2016 Miata... but I digress...

Hopefully there will be a recall or a tech bulletin coming out shortly.... Since this is a safety issue (I was almost run over by a one ton dually the other day when the malfunction occurred while I was pulling across traffic) for now, I have two workarounds:

1) Just skipping first gear and starting off in second... lousy option for the clutch but it works in that the car does not unexpectedly loose momentum until you can cram it back into low gear...

2) Shifting into 1st just as the car is about to stop rolling and just keeping the clutch down

With option 2, I have not had the malfunction (yet) but its tiresome to hold the clutch down at a long red light...

Cheers!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Coming up to a thousand miles and it's been problem free for us too. Other than, maybe, a false 'boot's open' warning on one occasion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought my MCS in January and drove it very little until about a month ago (April). My car has a manual tranny and pops out of first gear intermittently. It may not happen for several days, but then it may happen 2x in a day or 2 days in a row. Am poised to contact the dealer. It has popped out a grand total of about 6 to 7 times. Hard to understand why it can go a week without it popping out of gear and then suddenly happen 2x in a day.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Bought my MCS in January and drove it very little until about a month ago (April). My car has a manual tranny and pops out of first gear intermittently. It may not happen for several days, but then it may happen 2x in a day or 2 days in a row. Am poised to contact the dealer. It has popped out a grand total of about 6 to 7 times. Hard to understand why it can go a week without it popping out of gear and then suddenly happen 2x in a day.
I'm surprised that nobody has any further information on this issue since so much time has passed on this thread. Very disturbing. If anything, I'd suspect a problem with the automatic trans not the manual. There has to be a reason this happened to anyone. Please keep us posted what you find. Of course, it probably won't do it when you take it in to the dealer!

·
Registered
890 Posts
My dealer said it was due to faulty gear change towers where the cables connect to change the gears.

They did change some gearboxes initially but now an improved design of tower is supposed to cure the jumping out of gear issue.

I am only reporting what he said, I presume it is correct but I don't have the problem as I have a Cooper and not an S.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My dealer said it was due to faulty gear change towers where the cables connect to change the gears.

They did change some gearboxes initially but now an improved design of tower is supposed to cure the jumping out of gear issue.

I am only reporting what he said, I presume it is correct but I don't have the problem as I have a Cooper and not an S.
That sounds like a possible reason...would be nice to determine if a Service Bulletin was ever issued. The MCS I drove in early April for my test drive was spotless right on...I even commented to my wife how smooth the transmission worked....I had no problems whatsoever, so hopefully that issue was indeed corrected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UK 10000 Miles 2014 (64) Cooper D

Had this start happening other the last few weeks, definitely doesn't feel right, left my hand on the gear stick once and it shoots backwards whilst making a crunching or vibration through the gear box, will be ringing the dealership tomorrow to try and get information on this.

Only thing that springs to mind is they had a recall on the flywheel assembly a few months back which they checked mine for and it apparently passed, however this issue has only occurred since then, it could either due to it being put together incorrectly following the recall or the issue has only just started happening and its just coincidence.

Hope this info helps a little with regards to the product recall, as they didnt notify me of this prior to me turning up at the dealership for another matter.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
UK 10000 Miles 2014 (64) Cooper D

Had this start happening other the last few weeks, definitely doesn't feel right, left my hand on the gear stick once and it shoots backwards whilst making a crunching or vibration through the gear box, will be ringing the dealership tomorrow to try and get information on this.

Only thing that springs to mind is they had a recall on the flywheel assembly a few months back which they checked mine for and it apparently passed, however this issue has only occurred since then, it could either due to it being put together incorrectly following the recall or the issue has only just started happening and its just coincidence.

Hope this info helps a little with regards to the product recall, as they didnt notify me of this prior to me turning up at the dealership for another matter.

Tom
All booked in for next Thursday at my local dealer hopefully they'll come back with something and i'll be able to update you all afterwards, happened twice more this morning on the drive in.

Slightly worried to drive it now, so going to park it up this weekend and leave it be for a few days before I take it into the dealers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had the call back from the dealership, as per you all above its a new gear box, that's turning up tomorrow, and I should have it back for Saturday (today being Thursday). I'll try and get a more detailed report when I pick it up as to what causes it and steps we as owners can take to prevent this from happening.

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts