Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper F55 manual.

The engine control computer definitely revs the engine to prevent engine braking. Is there any trick to disable this behavior. It drives me crazy. We're planning a trip to the mountains and engine braking would be very helpful.

I have noticed that if cruise control is on it does major engine braking, possibly even applying friction brakes. Its able to slow down the car dramatically even at low RPM. But when downshifting, the engine control computer clearly revs it to prevent it. It also makes it impossible to do a smooth upshift. It slowly lowers engine RPM, much slower than natural so that when you try to get into the higher gear, even without giving it any gas, the RPMs are still too high for the next gear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When you downshift the engine rev matchs for a smooth transition. One second later, if you dont press the accelerator, the engine brakes just as any other car.

Your cruise control in fact uses the brakes if the engine braking isnt enough to keep the car speed downhill.

This is how it works on my cooper f56.

Only way I know to disable is to press for 2 seconds the traction control. But then, you disable traction control and stability, which is kinda bad for everyday use...

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Migomes is right but as soon as you change down and the car has given you a matching rev thats it and engine braking comes into effect. So just select the gear you need . however the engine is designed to give low resistance when coasting to save fuel .your change up issue i just dont understand.as you change up you govern the revs . the car does nothing. Unless its faulty ?

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Here in the uk driving instructors teach students to use brakes not engine braking.Engine Braking comes from the past when brakes werent as reliable or fade free as they arenow. Modern brakes are so good they usually only fade on a racetrack. The modern way of thinking is thats it cheaper to replace pads than a gearbox! Check out Aarnmunros thread on this s subject.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have never engine braked regularly as its not good for the engine! Downshifting is another thing entirely, and even then you can be hard on the drivetrain or easy....all in the way you drive! The best racers back in the day were the ones who "became one with their cars", the hard chargers who didn't respect their cars usually wrecked or never finished due the mechanical failure!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I totally agree teeninvader .Watch an f1 driver s feet (they showed David Coulthard driving yesterday).yes they may well have engine braking but its accelerator or brake ! And hard! With bike racing they have the ability to adjust engine braking but there is no place for it in a modern road car as it is all about economy these days. We all simply need to adjust our driving styles as has been said. Younger drivers wont notice of course!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
People and engine braking

Unless you are racing i really don't see the issue here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In regards to fuel economy, engine braking is more efficient that using the brake pedal... As you are building momentum by burning fuel, why waste all the energy you've just generated by pressing the brakes.

You'll see a few mpg difference if you drive with a more forward thinking approach and only use your brakes to bring it to a standstill, it's easier to do in my Auto than it was in my Manual Cooper D as the Auto from what I can tell doesn't rev match in the same way as the Manual.

My mum doesn't use the rev matching feature in her JCW and when a passenger you can feel the jerk as the gear is engaged and I just cringe at the thought of what that's doing to the clutch, she says "BRANDON I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 20+ YEARS, I will not change". She's the type of driver to drive round a corner with a gear disengaged. :|

Hey ho - each to their own.

Long story short - you will get engine braking from your manual gearbox, but you need to either do it by leaving a two second gap as you change gear so you don't use the rev match... OR, instead of being up someones arse you look ahead knowing you'll need a lower gear. You will get engine braking if you time the rev matched downshift right.

·
Registered
152 Posts
In regards to fuel economy, engine braking is more efficient that using the brake pedal... As you are building momentum by burning fuel, why waste all the energy you've just generated by pressing the brakes.

You'll see a few mpg difference if you drive with a more forward thinking approach and only use your brakes to bring it to a standstill, it's easier to do in my Auto than it was in my Manual Cooper D as the Auto from what I can tell doesn't rev match in the same way as the Manual.

My mum doesn't use the rev matching feature in her JCW and when a passenger you can feel the jerk as the gear is engaged and I just cringe at the thought of what that's doing to the clutch, she says "BRANDON I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 20+ YEARS, I will not change". She's the type of driver to drive round a corner with a gear disengaged. :|

Hey ho - each to their own.

Long story short - you will get engine braking from your manual gearbox, but you need to either do it by leaving a two second gap as you change gear so you don't use the rev match... OR, instead of being up someones arse you look ahead knowing you'll need a lower gear. You will get engine braking if you time the rev matched downshift right.

Not true ...

Car goes into coasting mode and completely closes gas ... Coasting mode will definitely use less gas than a car that have too much engine braking ...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Basically reduced rolling resistance from all components of the drive train equals to improved fuel efficiency.

Reduced rolling resistance (including engine breaking) = longer coasting distance

Longer coasting distance = improved fuel economy IF THE DRIVER IS THINKING AHEAD AND AVOIDING UNNECESSARY ACCELERATION AND LETTING THE CAR ROLL INTO STOPS ...

This information is all in the car manual under the fuel economy/efficiency section...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Basically reduced rolling resistance from all components of the drive train equals to improved fuel efficiency.

Reduced rolling resistance (including engine breaking) = longer coasting distance

Longer coasting distance = improved fuel economy IF THE DRIVER IS THINKING AHEAD AND AVOIDING UNNECESSARY ACCELERATION AND LETTING THE CAR ROLL INTO STOPS ...

This information is all in the car manual under the fuel economy/efficiency section...

Haha okay - yeah I understand that... Coasting may well be more efficient, hence why my Auto SD decouples the gears above 30mph if you let off the gas in Green Mode.

Braking and coasting are two entirely different things? The whole point of coasting is to travel a further distance.

I'm simply stating that engine braking is more fuel efficient than using the brake pedal, which I still am a firm believer of as I've seen it when I've used a full tank driving with BMW's one foot driving philosophy and gained more MPG than driving using the brake pedal like a 17 year old.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im sinply stating that a car with more engine breaking will not have a longer coasting distance

And also engine breaking vs pedal dont change fuel efficiency... Thinking ahead will change your efficiency... Thinking ahead and letting the car roll to stops is not much about engine breaking, you can do this with the car rolling in nuetral ...

So what im saying touching the pedal does not use more gas ...

And coasting is very much related to engine braking ... The relationship is simple ...the stronger the engine braking the shorter the coasting ...

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Basically what we all mean is braking wastes the kinetic energy the car has been given by the accelerator. Taking your foot off (but remainjng in gear)shuts off fuel and the further you go like this the better your economy. Best is just use brakes at the last minute but you will have a whole stream of cars up your rear if yoypu do this to the extreme! The whole car is designedcto reduce rolling friction and engine braking in these circumstances.if you change down lower and lower gears to get engine brakjng eg on a hill that is a bit different but less good for the mechanicals than using the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Basically what we all mean is braking wastes the kinetic energy the car has been given by the accelerator. Taking your foot off (but remainjng in gear)shuts off fuel and the further you go like this the better your economy. Best is just use brakes at the last minute but you will have a whole stream of cars up your rear if yoypu do this to the extreme! The whole car is designedcto reduce rolling friction and engine braking in these circumstances.if you change down lower and lower gears to get engine brakjng eg on a hill that is a bit different but less good for the mechanicals than using the brake pedal.
Efficiency clearly isn't being presented correctly by the points I am making, I think me and @teeninvader could go all day...

I believe it is more 'efficient' to allow the engine to brake for you, this is reducing the wastage as Jeremy has stated above. I understand the increase coasting performance having no engine braking or leaving it out of gear would allow you - but that wasn't the point I was making.

The point I was making is as I'll repeat again, engine braking in my opinion and by my evidence (albeit it I was looking much further ahead on the road) is more 'efficient' than using the brake pedal which is wasting the kinetic energy you've produced by accelerating.

I do also agree with @teeninvader, that taking it out of gear and allowing it to coast would also be of a positive effect as you would be able to roll a further distance... Although when I'm approaching a set of traffic lights and there's a car in front of me, I'd sooner have my car in gear to slowly approach the lights than continue at 30mph for a longer distance - IMO.

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I was 20 years old...I had an Uno 45...great engine small brakes!
Once...driving fast downhill the brakes stop working and I could stop me just as the Flintstones...and for 15 minutes I remained close to the car just to wait for the front discs stop smoking...
From that moment my improvement to the car have been on brakes...Brembo or EBC as soon as possible.
But the fear of that sensation continue to suggest me to try saving brakes using the engine and the low gears more I can.
And using rev matching is not such a damage to the clutch.0:)

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Just to chuck another complication in there if you put it in neutral and coast you still use some petrol whereas as brandon says if in gear the fuel injection is shut of. However there is then SOME engine braking and you have to weigh up the advantages of one over the other. Something i have not yet mastered! What we need is one of those people who enter fuel conserving competitions to give their view! Anticipation is key though.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I agree teefur , however i am sad in that i find it interesting. My reasoning is that when i am in town or on a journey when i cant enjoy my car i like to drive economically so i have more petrol when i can enjoy it ie clear bendy ' a' roads wahay! I do draw the line at green mode though. Never !>:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.