Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: Well... I opened the bonnet for the first time to take a look.

The engine and components are mostly obscured with covers. Fine by me. Looks great being all neat & tidy.

Then I looked at the bonnet scoop. The extra air intake. And guess what... it's just for show. No air can get through. It's completely blocked up!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has since the gen 2 mate, the scoop on the gen 1 was functional due to the supercharged engine. Since the gen 2 and 3 are turbos they don't need the scoop but it looks good so I guess they decided to keep it and make it non functional

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helps visually distinguish the Cooper from the Cooper S. I'm convinced that that's why they left it.

Some people might also see it as a "downgrade" if the early S's had scoops and later ones didn't, even if the HP and torque went up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would it have been harmful to keep it as functional though. It just seems weird to make it just for show if they could have just as easily made it functional. I'm sure that it would be helpful to cool down the engine for some person at some point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2012 JCW Coupe hood/bonnet scoop is partially blocked. It has 13 rows of vertical honeycomb slots, Seven of them are blocked and 6 of them are open. The 3 center slots are closed, then alternate open/close etc toward each side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would it have been harmful to keep it as functional though. It just seems weird to make it just for show if they could have just as easily made it functional. I'm sure that it would be helpful to cool down the engine for some person at some point.
I believe the Gen 2 had some Induction kits made by AEM that made the scoop functional by channelling the airflow into the induction kit along with the standard intake. On the Gen 1 this was how it worked with the supercharger i.e. the scoop directly fed air into the supercharger, whereas the turbo doesn't need this to function. If the scoop was left open it wouldn't really add or detract from the performance of the car as the air isn't going to be fed into the engine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If they blocked it, presumably it was to help with the drag coefficient of the car.

My understanding is that if you have additional air flowing into the engine bay it can increase drag as the air going in has to seek paths to then escape again. In the end this might just reduce your fuel economy...probably not by a lot, but a bit. Kind of like driving with your windows open.

So many manufacturers add these big intakes to pretend their cars have more performance but 9/10 times they'll all be fake and closed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As it's only show, it was closed due to dirt coming into the under bonnet area. Maybe there had been some problems with R56 Cooper S.

However, there had been some pre-series F56 MCS with open bonnet scoop grid.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Def for show as the 40k special edition in conjunction with rolls Royce had the Cooper bonnet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts