Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called into my dealer on Wednesday as the car had started squealing in low gears after it had been pushed a bit... (Normal driving didn't seem to affect it).
Went for a spin with one of the engineers to demonstrate and we decided it sounded like rubber on metal, and was definitely heat related due to it only showing up after some (enthusiastic) driving. After a couple of attempts they managed to replicate it on the rollers in the garage and eventually it just started doing it at idle constantly, presumably as the car gets hotter than normal on the rollers due to lack of air flow maybe I dunno.. I went into the workshop to witness the idle squealing which by then was pretty bad.

They took the gear box out that afternoon and had a replacement on standby, I'm due to pick the car up tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what it was and whether they needed to replace it. Apparently as the car is so new (1500 miles) they had to fill out some special report and get it approved by BMW before they could install any new bits so it delayed it by a day. Still not bad for dropping in un announced and getting it back a couple of days later with a (potentially) new/refurbed gearbox.

Anyone else had this squealy thing before? Hopefully it wasn't my driving that killed it :/

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
That's really good service. I am sure there's at least one post on here as well as yours with a squeal with video to prove.you're not on your own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got the car back - new gearbox, but as the issue was inside the unit they just replaced it without looking inside so they think it may have been a bearing somewhere. But no definite answer. The issue is gone though which is the main thing.

Yes it was fantastic service really pleased I'm going to drop them an email to say thanks. As I don't think they could have fixed it quicker if they tried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear. Sad to say I have the same issue after spirited driving. More pronounced in second gear but also in 3rd. Had one come
In our shop and apparently that particular car had too much play in the crank. Now if this happens dramatically and long enough, it can also damage the internals of the tranny via input shaft play. If you're having this issue take a video and show it to your local service advisor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I got the car back - new gearbox, but as the issue was inside the unit they just replaced it without looking inside so they think it may have been a bearing somewhere. But no definite answer. The issue is gone though which is the main thing.

Yes it was fantastic service really pleased I'm going to drop them an email to say thanks. As I don't think they could have fixed it quicker if they tried.
Has the squealing came back since they replaced your gearbox?

·
Registered
38 Posts
What made them decide it was the hear box? I had he engine replaced once and my clutch replaced twice and it's still squealing. It seems as if my dealership is refusing to look at the gearbox because it squeals when it's idling. Have you had any squeals since your post in September?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.