Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this has already been discussed but couldn't see that there was a definitive resolution. My fully loaded MCS with variable dampers makes a noise that sounds like a loose parcel shelf. It seems to fade as the car warms up but, with my journey to work only being 10 mins, it's starting to really annoy me. I took it to the dealer who, after 15 seconds in the passenger seat said "Yes, they all do that. It's a "characteristic" of the car." He went on to explain that others had complained and they couldn't get a fix.

Has anyone had the problem resolved and, if so, what causes it so I can go back to the dealer?

As a side point, I took the carpet mats out to vacuum and was amazed to see a trace of damp underneath. Turns out it was from my shoe (wet day) but, on closer inspection, the carpet mat is worn out after only 5,000 miles! I've never worn a mat out before so, again, a little disappointed in the quality. I love the car but, having been an early adopter of a faultless R50, then a later model R56 which didn't give me any issues, I'm a little sceptical about the quality of the F56.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Suspension possibly but mats I would say are not really a reflection of the car s quality. I have always used rubber overmats in this weather as I've ALWAYS worn out material mats in the winter.constant wet ruins them imo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much the mats, Jeremy. It's lots of little things - the squeak from the dash storage lid on bumpy roads, the rattle from the pan roof visor when it's in a certain position, the thigh support on the sports seats has a bit of play on it, the mode selector is a little flimsy... In isolation, these things are nothing but my R56 was as rattle free after 3 years as the day that I bought it. Sometimes we get lucky, I suppose - the R50 was plagued with electrical faults early in its life (mine was trouble-free) and the R56 had its coking issues (the engine on mine was as sweet as a nut). I just hope my new car doesn't reveal any more quirks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes, there is an issue with dynamic dampers and BMW know about it. You need new shocks. Unfortunately I don't have dynamic dampers.

I'm a member of a facebook community that (thankfully) has a MINI techician as a member. He's based in the States so I have this information on good authority.

When I spoke to my dealer, in Aberdeen, they were aware of that issue and knew there was a fix for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Strange I've the opposite,my r56 was a real rattler, mind you run flats and sport suspension on the s! Never had a coking issue either. Great engine. f56 feels much better built. Sorry to hear your woes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Cooper S does the same Jeremy, clunks over bumps but disappears later in the journey... unless i tune out of it because it wide me right up!! what i did do was move the position of the rear seat on the passenger side and i thought it stopped, but can't guarantee that.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just to add variety to the mix...mine has always had a light occasional clonk from the rear when going over some bumps.

Cobbled streets, it doesn't like in particular.

Moving the rear seats, up or down, seems to make a diffference to the sound, which is weird.

I don't have adjustable dampers, which is also weird.

It has done it snce new, and I had a rake around underneath at the back some time ago prising mounting bushes to check for play, etc, but nothing appeared out of place or loose.
I have been waiting for it to become bad enough to be present and always there if I took the car in to the dealer, but at the moment it is at the "they all do that" stage.

Doesn't bother me too much really.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mine has already reached that stage Johan. Dealer is trying to locate the problem.....along with my other half! It's getting worse all the time :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and ask them to contact BMW to enquire about new shocks.

Washed the car today - don't suppose anyone else has water in one of the side indicator lenses do they...? One perfect, the other full of water. Also noticed uneven panel gaps around the boot so I might as well go to the dealer with the full list!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Exactly the same suspension rattle in mine, was just ignoring it as it goes away after a while but seems it isn't just mine! My MCS was a launch car so fully loaded like yours same pan roof rattle if shade part is pushed all the way back! Can you let me know what happens with this so I can go to my dealer and tell them! Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any further developments here? Mine has developed what I believe is the same rattle, and I face the same dealer indifference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer has new dampers on order for the same issue along with new catches for the pano roof blind! I think the blind has puma from Mini but not sure about dampers. Either way they immediately knew what to do! I have a number of other items being looked at but will update when I know more!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I took my Cooper in today to investigate the rear clock and the head technician and I went out for a drive to his favourite "diagnostic " bit of road which did indeed do its job and he heard the sound. Big relief on my part.
He then kept the car for a few hours for investigation while I scared myself trying to remember how to drive an automatic courtesy car without running into things.

He agreed the OS rear damper has to be replaced. I suggested good practice dictates they should be changed in pairs but he said under warranty only faulty items are changed. Meanie. The other one may start clonking so he will have to change it anyway, if not then fair enough.

On another tack while driving about we were discussing how the F56 were in general and I asked about the S jumping out of gear issue.
He said they had changed a few gearboxes, but since then the problem had been identified as an issue with the selector "tower", where the selector control cables govern the gear choices, rather than the box itself. Something amiss there has caused the levers to pop back out of first.
I am only reporting what he said,and presume he is correct, for those who may be interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please let me know if the replacement shocks work - my dealer said they contacted BMW and this was not the issue. BMW/MINI also said there were no reported issues of this fault. This forum suggests otherwise...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I just experienced this clunk form the rear at low speeds and it is annoying - anybody resolved this issue? Was it shocks? I have 2016 F56 Cooper S 2-door with dynamic dampers. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you tried if its the same on sport/mid mode? Mine is rattling on mid and eco, when I turn sport on, everything is ok... :)
I tried the sport mode and the noise/rattling is lessened but not completely gone - one more reason to suspect the electronic dampers being the culprit. My rattling noise is only noticeable in low speeds, like 5-30 mph, after that it's not as noticeable (probably because of the road/tire noise?). I'm slowly getting sick of it and will schedule a visit to my dealer (Mini of Westchester, NY) soon and will report back what they do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just reading these posts as my 2014 cooper s with VDC is knocking like mad on both sides turn sport mode on and it’s gone, do they all do this with VDC as I’m looking to buy a pair of second hand shockers off a newer cooper s to get rid of the problem .Any info from owners with VDC be appreciated thanks Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts