Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Great forum!
Just put a deposit at my local dealer on an Exdemo Sept 14 MCSD in Thunder grey/black with JCW cross spoke light alloys (Model 506?) Sunroof Media XL Punch leather LCD adaptive dampers Harman etc.

Wasn't sure what car to get next after 6.5 years of A3 1.9 TDIe....

Tried loads of cars before the Mini as I thought it would be too small having looked at one in 2009...

Wow, ok having driven the SD, S, Cooper and Cooper D all f56, I luv the SD - converted!
Personally I prefer the way the SD delivers power over the S ...(Controversial!)
But that is because I have had a lot of diesels over the years probably..

There don't seem to be to many owners of SDs...any one like share their experience of the engine/drive...I think its fantastic.

As I do 20,000 miles a year I like to be able to keep fuel costs to minimum but don't like the fact that I had to compromise on performance some what...not any more...(Cake and Eat it).

Strangely I like the prospect of sticking it in Green mode and seeing what mpg I can get on a long motorway run, nearly as much as putting it in sport mode on a twisty backroad..nearly. So it will be Green or Sport for me each drive i reckon.

Oh sorry another question...
Is the running gear (Suspension, brakes, gearbox, etc.) the same on a standard MCSD and MCS? )I know you don't get the same exhaust sounding fun with the SD...but I still thought it sounded pretty good for a diesel).

Thanks for any replies! Slinky :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul I haven't actually got it yet....Fingers crossed for Friday PM or Sat morning.
Have to wait for the dealer to do some recall work which they hadn't done and recut one of the jcw wheels..here a pic of my lovely wheel...oh how do I attach a pic using an iPad?.?..

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi @Slinky, congrats on your new motor. MCSD is the perfect combination of performance and economy. As per MPG is concerned, @sduk has recently posted a pic with around 76MPG and the engine is barely run in. I am sure SDUK would be able to help you more information on that..

Saurabh..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Slinky, Just signed up so that I could reply to your post. Collected our (OK my partners) ex-demo Cooper SD on the 4th of September with 3200 miles on the clock. It's now got 4300 on the clock but we won't compete with your 20k/annum. As soon as we collected it from the dealer in the Midlands, we took it home, loaded it up & carried on down to Cornwall for a long weekend near Padstow. I reset the computer whilst making our way to the M5 up in the Midlands & by the time we'd reached Gloucester for a fuel stop it was showing about 60mpg & I hadn't even tried green mode!
We rejoined the M5 down by Bristol, after popping home to pack the car, on a busy Friday afternoon & watched the average drop. Anyway a few days nipping around Cornwall, trip home & now being used for Chris's commute we're on about 52mpg, which I'm happy with, although I'll check it again in a week or so when she's used it a bit more.
I'd be interested in knowing what the recalls are as even though our car was registered in March 2015 it was built Sept/Oct 14.
Had to have a wheel refurbished on ours before we collected it (just the optional 17"s on ours), didn't notice until after we'd driven it away that they'd just swapped a wheel & I now had 3 Michelin's & a Dunlop (pet hate), but fair play all sorted out quickly but an extra 150 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Forgot to add, I was told that the brakes are upgraded on the F56 Cooper SD by the dealer but haven't looked into further, they do feel better than our previous R56 Cooper. I'd seen that the previous model Cooper SD didn't have the same brakes as the Cooper S hence I asked.
Don't know about suspension or gearbox brochures tell you nothing these days. I'd imagine that the engine adds nose weight over the the 3 cylinder versions but I love the torque.
Hoping to take it over to Germany next month, so can really test the fuel figures then ��

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi 2GOOD
Sounds like you've had some adventures already in the new motor. I think its a great idea to pick up the car and head straight off on a long trip...mm might do that myself.
On the MPG note I am trying to keep the mileage down on my soon to be traded in A3 5dr as I promised the dealer I would, this has seemed to make me drive at a more sedate rate too for some reason.... Anyway I just drove back home from Leeds 200 miles or so, and returned an unbelievable average 81.5mpg the best I have ever managed, admittedly there are miles of roadworks keeping the speed down at the moment on the M1 but fair play to the old girl. Right back to mini....yours looks great in the pic by the way love the black it was on my want list. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.