Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is currently a huge wave of media hype regarding DIESEL cars, with warnings of tax penalties & plummeting second-hand values... plus Boris is (supposedly) about to increase the cost to drive a diesel car in London by a further £10.

However, when you read these scaremongering articles in their entirety, most mention at the very end that cars with Euro 6 compliant engines are exempt... and, of course, every F56 MINI engine IS compliant!

After owning a series of Mk.1 & Mk.2 petrol MINI Cooper cars, I compared the F56 Cooper & Cooper D models and decided to buy my first ever diesel.

With similar 'real-world' performance but more torque, plus 25% better fuel economy and a bigger fuel tank (roughly 650 mile range) my Cooper D is already exceeding my expectations. In addition, I drive frequently in Europe - where diesel is quite a bit cheaper than petrol.

BTW: does anyone know why the Cooper D & S models have a 44 litre fuel tank, but the Cooper only has a 40 litre capacity?

I must admit to having second thoughts when F56 diesels cars were initially recalled/delayed because of 'noise' issues... but the engine in my car is a peach, and getting better with additional miles.

It does seem likely that the second-hand value of non Euro 6 compliant diesel cars will suffer if increased tax penalties are applied but, if anything, I think the value of compliant cars with excellent economy might actually improve....

·
Registered
19 Posts
i am currently driving the diesel version on loan while my cooper s is having slight modifications... anyway I am very surprised of how awesome it drives. I wouldn't have guessed it was a diesel. It's quiet, and surprisingly zippy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, the diesel is a good option if you do a lot of miles. Just apity that it costs so much more than the petrol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am currently driving the diesel version on loan while my cooper s is having slight modifications... anyway I am very surprised of how awesome it drives. I wouldn't have guessed it was a diesel. It's quiet, and surprisingly zippy.
I'm glad you agree!

I see you're in Brisbane (where one of my best friends lives now), do you pay tax based on emissions in Oz?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the diesel is a good option if you do a lot of miles. Just apity that it costs so much more than the petrol.
True... I'm sure that the cost of building diesel engines (versus petrol engines) is no more expensive for ANY car company - it's just that we've become used to paying more for them.

It'll be interesting to see if depreciation/second-hand values make the Cooper D a better choice... or not!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think we do... which is why petrol is still very popular here.

However considering how big this country is and klm's traveled on a weekly basis, diesels work out to be cheaper in the long run based on fuel prices and having to fill up less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts