Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks as the title says, is there anyway you can get the sat nav unit to display speed cameras? On a recent trip down to oxford i used a tomtom camera ap on my phone but it killed the battery and even when plugged in to charge, used more power than i was putting in!! there must be a way to add speed cameras

thanks in advance
andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not a sat nav as such, just an app on my phone called tomtom speed cameras, it runs live using your phones gps, mobile data etc, and the screen stays on, so after a 4 hour drive it soon draws the life out of it. gave me plenty of notice on some hard to spot cameras so worth it

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I'm pretty sure you wont be able to add this yourself, its part of that companies enterprise software who supplied the gps mapping for the mini. If they choose not to add it then it wont be on your gps unlike some third party gps units like tomtom, garmin, magellan etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its not a sat nav as such, just an app on my phone called tomtom speed cameras, it runs live using your phones gps, mobile data etc, and the screen stays on, so after a 4 hour drive it soon draws the life out of it. gave me plenty of notice on some hard to spot cameras so worth it
That sounds odd to me. There is no way an app should be able to drain your battery while attached to a charging cable. Are you using the USB port in the center console? If so, try another cable. I don't know if you are using an iPhone, but iPhones will only draw the standard 500ma from a USB cable if they detect they are not of the right type. With a correct (mfi certified) cable they will draw up to 2A and that should allow an iPhone to keep charging despite an app running.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Nope seems to me you can't add speed cameras to the gps unit in our minis ; was a bit surprised but if you buy driver asssist you get road speeds , so they can make more money by not having it on the sat nav, and as for camera spots, some european countries ban it so bet bmw are being good people and not encouraging us!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That sounds odd to me. There is no way an app should be able to drain your battery while attached to a charging cable. Are you using the USB port in the center console? If so, try another cable. I don't know if you are using an iPhone, but iPhones will only draw the standard 500ma from a USB cable if they detect they are not of the right type. With a correct (mfi certified) cable they will draw up to 2A and that should allow an iPhone to keep charging despite an app running.
the cable wouldn't make much of a difference, if any. The USB port on the console doesn't put out a lot of current in the first place (700mA?). If you want to charge your phone quickest, stick with chargers that plug into the 12V outlet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.