Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got to the dealers for 09.30 this morning, and said goodbye to my F56 JCW. It's been a fantastic car, I really have enjoyed being back in a Mini after my brief affair with an M135. Alas it proved that that the F56 was not suited to our new lifestyle, which sometimes means 3 bags of photography kit, walking gear, my spotting scope, and maybe an overnight bag (or 2, or 3 if the Mrs is with me).

We completed the last bits of paperwork, and then it was time for the handover. I was nervous, this car has big boots to fill (no pun intended), and although I did have a test drive, it wasn't a full work out. But I'm pleased to say that, after around 100 miles today I think I made the right choice. It does Snap Crackle & Pop better than a packet of Rice Krispies.... >:D

Just a couple of shots from the dealers, if the rain stays off tomorrow, I'll give it a quick once over and take a few more pictures...

Clubby02 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Clubby01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Awesome looking Clubby... Now get a set of coils and lower that puppy the wheel gap is scary......:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd be interested if in a comparison with your JCW. I'm tempted with the JCW clubby but again, my JCW is just so good that I'm frightened a clubby just wouldn't cut the mustard!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Stunning looking car really classy. Look forward to further reports!

Reactions: Jelster

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested if in a comparison with your JCW. I'm tempted with the JCW clubby but again, my JCW is just so good that I'm frightened a clubby just wouldn't cut the mustard!
Well it's early days (well, 1 day actually...) but obviously it feels different to the F56, but it pulls like a train (same power but more torque than the JCW). Handles well so far, although obviously I haven't pushed it that hard. It needs better tyres in the summer, but it sounds great, pops better than my F56 did at brand new, and it hasn't bedded in yet :D

I opted for the Mini Yours leather interior, as I was trying to go for a more refined/mature look which is really comfortable. The extra space is nice, and the new media interface is great.

I would advise a test drive to see how you get on, but at the moment, I'm happy with my decision.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well it's early days (well, 1 day actually...) but obviously it feels different to the F56, but it pulls like a train (same power but more torque than the JCW). Handles well so far, although obviously I haven't pushed it that hard. It needs better tyres in the summer, but it sounds great, pops better than my F56 did at brand new, and it hasn't bedded in yet :D

I opted for the Mini Yours leather interior, as I was trying to go for a more refined/mature look which is really comfortable. The extra space is nice, and the new media interface is great.

I would advise a test drive to see how you get on, but at the moment, I'm happy with my decision.

I've spied a JCW clubby at my local dealer so I think a quick test drive is in order! Did you get a manual or auto?

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stuck with an auto. My left knee can get painful if I get stuck in stop - start traffic, so my last 3 cars have been autos. I have to say that I've been driving around in manual a lot today, and this 8 speed box changes really swiftly. In fact I would goes as far to say I think its better than the box in my F56, and feels like the unit from my old M135. It really is compliant, even dropping 2 gears to use the engine braking.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Cool side stripes! Custom?

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool side stripes! Custom?
Yeah, at the 2nd time of asking....

First guy cocked them up, found another guy who called me to say that the vinyl wasn't a consistent colour, so needed to keep the car overnight until the new vinyl turned up. Made a cracking job of it though....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, at the 2nd time of asking....

First guy cocked them up, found another guy who called me to say that the vinyl wasn't a consistent colour, so needed to keep the car overnight until the new vinyl turned up. Made a cracking job of it though....
For sure, looks great. They look like the JCW stripes they had for the R56

Reactions: Jelster

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My local Mini club had a run to the Isle of Wight last weekend, here's me & Rebel on the Military Road...

Clubby1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

There's something about this Clubby that stirs my soul, I don't know what it is, but I just can't get out in it enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, after a few weeks of being a rather grubby clubby, I gave Rebel a serious clean today as I'm off to National Mini Cooper day tomorrow at Beaulieu.

Did 500 miles in him last week, and have load of travelling for work next week, then we take him all the way to the Isle of Mull for 2 weeks. He'll roll over 5,000 miles tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking good, Jelster; the green and the red go really well together ! :cool:
With all my other Mini's I've known what colour scheme I was going to have before turning up at the dealer to order, but this one really got me.

I have one rule, JCW's MUST have a red roof, so I start from there and work backwards. My previous F56 was Lapis, so that was out. So my choices were:

White Silver
Midnight Black
Rebel Green
Melted Silver

I was actually looking for a stock car that had Mini Yours leather & a sun roof, but there weren't any in of the above colours, so I had to go for a new build, and as I have never had a green car, Rebel Green seemed the way to go. Very pleased I did, and the vinyls really set it off.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Coolest station wagon ever except for the 1955 Chevy Nomad!

LIKE!
Ditto to that! I went to college with a guy from Syracuse, NY that lived on a farm & they had several nomads...always wondered if he restored any of them...worth a lot these days! My first car was a 55 Chevy Bel Air...gotta love them!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Jelster,
I followed your F56 JCW thread and pics with interest and continue to do so with your Clubman JCW (Rebel).
I am about to swop my Clubman Cooper S for a Clubman JCW after having a very generous new car June offer put on the table (quarterly targets due).

Before I commit I wanted a few words of advice on the potential colour ......

I loved your F56 JCW in Lapis Luxury Blue and this is currently my first choice colour.
I understand it is a solid colour, I normally go for metallics as I understand they are perceived to be better quality. Does the colour stand up to the shine and depth of a metallic?

It is obviously rare, no dealer I checked had a Lapis Luxury model in stock and had not seen it on a Clubman, is it worth the extra?

How did the paintwork stand up to normal daily wear and tear?
Many thanks

So, got to the dealers for 09.30 this morning, and said goodbye to my F56 JCW. It's been a fantastic car, I really have enjoyed being back in a Mini after my brief affair with an M135. Alas it proved that that the F56 was not suited to our new lifestyle, which sometimes means 3 bags of photography kit, walking gear, my spotting scope, and maybe an overnight bag (or 2, or 3 if the Mrs is with me).

We completed the last bits of paperwork, and then it was time for the handover. I was nervous, this car has big boots to fill (no pun intended), and although I did have a test drive, it wasn't a full work out. But I'm pleased to say that, after around 100 miles today I think I made the right choice. It does Snap Crackle & Pop better than a packet of Rice Krispies.... >:D

Just a couple of shots from the dealers, if the rain stays off tomorrow, I'll give it a quick once over and take a few more pictures...

Clubby02 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Clubby01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 28 Posts