1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
People don't like wheelgaps, I don't like the gap around the brakes with big rims.
The original wheel on the picture looks way better imho.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
People don't like wheelgaps, I don't like the gap around the brakes with big rims.
The original wheel on the picture looks way better imho.
Sorry but that statement just doesnt make any sense. Wheel gap usually means the distance between the tire and the wheel arch...has nothing to with wheel opening. The larger diameter wheels look far better on the F56 due to the overall size of the F56. It's a no brainer imo..the afternarket setup is hands down far better presentation! Of course, you are certainly entitlef to your opinion & I respect that. I just don't agree.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It makes perfect sense, he's saying that he doesn't like the bigger gap between the edge of the brake disc and the inside of the rim, so for him the original size is better.

Once you go up from 15s to 18s it can look like you have toy brakes. :D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can understand what you are saying, however you are basing your opinion on "just" the look of the wheel opening vs the brake rotor size (i.e. open area behind the wheel), and probably the rear wheel at that (since the photos only compare the two wheels by showing the larger dia wheel on the rear of the car where the brake rotor is much smaller.

Overall, I believe it gets down to the presentation of the "entire" car, not just for the guy who stares at the brake rotors! >:D This is what I meant by wheel gap...maybe it's a regional thing...here in the USA wheel gap generally means the amount of space around the outside diameter of the tire as compared to the wheel well opening (or wheel arch, as Europeans say).

There is absolutely no comparison when looking at those two wheels on the "larger F56" body style, which presents better. This third Gen MINI definitely needs larger wheels than 15"'s, 16"s, and even 17"s (depending on the style of the wheel). It's a large MINI so it really needs larger wheels.

This is the main reason I opted for the 18" Cup Spoke wheel option on my JCW....it's a hands downs improvement over the stock 17"'s.

I totally get the reasoning for having more tire between the wheel and rough roads...makes sense where you need that. But, for better sportiness and better handling the large dia wheel gets my vote. How many race cars do you see with tiny wheels?.., and large spaces between the tires and wheel wells?

It makes perfect sense, he's saying that he doesn't like the bigger gap between the edge of the brake disc and the inside of the rim, so for him the original size is better.

Once you go up from 15s to 18s it can look like you have toy brakes. :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
I know what wheel gap means, as I'm sure he does, but he wasn't going on about wheel gap, christ read it again man >:D. Sorry if that comes over as a bit abrupt, but it's a bank holiday and I'm at work.....

I agree up to a point on size, but we don't all drive on race tracks, a Paris-Dakar type rally car would be better suited to the roads on this side of the pond, so you're back to smaller diam wheels and higher profile tyres.

Having run a mk4 golf on 18 aristo replicas, which were very heavy, I went for black 16s on the mini and I like the compromise between looks and performance.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ha! I do get it! I hope we can all agree that the F56 MINI is awesome regardless of wheel choice. I have seen cars with oversize wheels that overwhelm the brakes, but in this article I personally do not like the stock wheel design & much prefer
the aftermarket style. Hope that explains my take better. I wasn't meaning to be critical in any way.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well now, that might just be a bit too extreme! ;)

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
966 Posts
You're right, the F56 is awesome, I generally don't rev engines, but a few nights ago I fancied taking a drive, and saw the redline several times - it's a different beast. Sorry I was being a bit nippy, like I said working on a bank holiday, and nothing was working right.

Funnily enough when I went out to the car park last night, I didn't think my standard wheel gap was too bad, other days I think it's got some 4x4 stance :(

Those NM wheels in 17 would do nicely, thank you. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
I listen to the guys on Whiteroof Radio podcast (weekly show, very entertaining podcast!) go around and around and arrrrrrrrrround on wheel size all the time. They tend to be big wheel advocates, but they were stunned to find no real performance advantage with the 18s on a recent JCW test drive. Of course, according to those experts, my 16s are "the wrong wheels" and look terrible. I'm not seeing it myself and I'm certainly loving the performance. I especially love the part where I hit potholes and don't replace my wheels and tires... but that's just me

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I listen to the guys on Whiteroof Radio podcast (weekly show, very entertaining podcast!) go around and around and arrrrrrrrrround on wheel size all the time. They tend to be big wheel advocates, but they were stunned to find no real performance advantage with the 18s on a recent JCW test drive. Of course, according to those experts, my 16s are "the wrong wheels" and look terrible. I'm not seeing it myself and I'm certainly loving the performance. I especially love the part where I hit potholes and don't replace my wheels and tires... but that's just me

I get it, trust me. One of my biggest complaints has been the slim selection options for wheels on the JCW. I believe the classic look of the available wheels on the MCS is FAR better overall. It's a balancing act for sure, and opinions vary. But for me, with the JCW, I was looking for the best value and look for the money, and I went for the 18" Cup Spoke wheels. I am hoping it won't be a harsh ride or I'll have to do something else. I did not want totally black wheels on a totally black car, and the only other option was the 17" race or track spoke design in silver..and neither looks all that great to me in the flesh.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The longer I've looked at them, the more I scratch my head at the limited JCW style options... and by limited, what I really mean is that none of them really excite me. Maybe they are banking on the aftermarket industry filling the gap or BMW and I just... how shall I say this nicely... don't share a similar sense of style on the JC

·
Registered
478 Posts
I suspect this is actual a simple case of unsprung weight. It's a common suspension improvement technique to reduce unsprung weight, including wheels and tyres. In the Caterham community an important question when a new wheel or tyre are released is how much does it weigh, almost over how does it look. A recent tyre release added 2kg, which prompted comments like "driving with this tyre is like running with welly boots on". BMW alloy wheels and run flat tyres feel like they weigh more than the moon in comparison after changing wheels on the Caterham, but I have never seen the point in putting them on the scales. If adding 2kg "makes it feel like running with welly boots on", think what losing 2kg will do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts