Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have a mini midnight black and i want your opinion.. I can't decide if it's better on steel wheels or with plastic trim... I tried to take the trim off but I'm afraid to do because it need too much power and i don't want to break them... Any idea?
Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Loop 2 cable ties behind the trim at opposite sides (through the "spokes") and pull with even pressure on one side then the other.. They are just held on with friction so they will move, it just takes effort (or not caring about the trim!)

·
Registered
844 Posts
There should be a tool for pulling (or levering) them off in the car under the carpet in the boot (trunk).

I like the car with the wheel trims.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Those are the same trims I use with my steel winter wheels.
They look fine.

They pull off easily enough if you just give a really sharp tug on one side, or two sides at the same time. They are strongly made, or certainly mine are!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all answers and sorry for my awful English... I tried to put off the trim with my hands but it's impossible... What about to paint them black with plasti dip?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try pulling with thickish gloves to stop sharp edges hurting your hands.

The trims will pull off, honest, you just need to be forceful.

I prefer the look of silver or even white wheels with a dark car, but it is a very subjective issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it looks much better with the hubcaps on. The shapes and form of those hubcaps works very well with the shapes and forms of the car's body, so they are a good match. The silver also creates a nice highlight to break up the monotony of a pure black car. The silver wheels empahsize the car's size, wheelbase and stance as opposed to the black wheels, which make the wheel wells disappear and the car loses it's proportions, and stance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally like them better without.

Naked steels are the new alloy wheels!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Curse you EvlKarl, that's given me ideas now, and only about 5 months to do them..... well I like to take my time with these things :D

One thing I will say if you decide to run without trims, make sure you've got something to protect the actual hub as that open hole lets all manner of crud in there, so maybe a nice clart of grease.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think it does look better but I can't help thinking that steel wheels on their own look 'unfinished'?
Even black alloys can make a car look unfinished.
In the 60s we took our hub caps off leaving black rims thinking it looked cool, but it only ended up attracting more attention from MrPlod!

A dark car needs lighter wheels or it just ends up looking like a dark blob, but as ever it is down to individual taste.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts