Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think the mile counter that shows up when you put your car in green mode was supposed to count how much gas you saved by being in green mode. However I noticed over the weekend that I went on a long drive in regular mode on the highway but did so in a rather eco-minded way to save fuel and got 40 MPG. Later when I went back into green mode, I noticed +7 miles had occurred on the green mode counter, meaning that you don't need to be in green mode to accrue these miles.

What does the mile counter mean if it is not the miles saved by driving in green mode and how does this calculation work? Is it comparing my MPG to the "nameplate" MPG and then telling me how many miles I saved over what the mileage is assumed to be (for example I got 40 MPG on the highway and I think the nameplate for my 2016 Cooper S 4-door is something like 38 MPG).

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I think so but who knows. It just annoys me as does the fish,as does green mode.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so but who knows. It just annoys me as does the fish,as does green mode.

At least the fish only comes on when you go find it in the menu, right? Or is that because I disabled the info that shows on my connected screen when changing modes? Now when I change modes I only see the center instrument (LED ring) flash a color but not the entire display. That way it doesn't interrupt my navigation when changing modes.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I just recently discovered the fish. Serves no useful purpose just like the excitement lights. Cool gimmicks for a grin occasionally. I'm looking forward to showing the fish to my Grandson, but chances are that'll be the last time I see it. I run in Sport mode all the time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just recently discovered the fish. Serves no useful purpose just like the excitement lights. Cool gimmicks for a grin occasionally. I'm looking forward to showing the fish to my Grandson, but chances are that'll be the last time I see it. I run in Sport mode all the time.
Do you notice when you occasionally go into green mode that "saved" miles have accrued despite using Sport all the time? If you don't even check, could you check and let me know? I wonder if they only accrue in regular and green mode or if it doesn't matter which mode you're in...

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
like you my daughter likes the fish but you made it smile. I am impressed all it ever does is scowl at me!grrr

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Slightly off topic but relating to Green Mode.

Is there a way to get the digital speedometer to display whilst in Green Mode, I've never managed to do it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Excuse my ignorance...but what is the fish?!

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Dollyman if you press the computer button and scroll through i thought the speed was still there as an option but i cannot drive at the mo so someone on here will need to confirm or otherwise. I assume it is ticked in display options.

James in green mode you can access on the central screen excietment modes in there is a fish that gives you stars for driving anticipation and braking the more stars you get the less scowling the fish does. Sorry i cant give you the steps to access him because,a)there s more fun to be had without the beep fish and b) i cant drive at the mo or get in my car due new hip. Someone on here will help.j

Reactions: James-B93

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

I have the digital speedo in Normal and Sport mode but when I go into Green it's not there. I dont use Green very often, who does??, but with the number of cameras around these days it would be handy. I'll have a fiddle tomorrow when I'm out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed that the green mode mile counter can actually go DOWN. I drove to work today in sport mode but checked green mode before I left and got +7. When I got to work I checked and it was +6.9. I got 22 mpg on my 2 mile city drive which isn't bad considering the stop signs and traffic lights. Even with green mode on I wouldn't have gotten much better.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
True thats strange sorry i cantbe of more help . someone out there?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
The way I believe it works is it indicates how many miles (km) you save per tank by driving miserly. If you have accumulated +7 means you in theory would have gained an extra 7 miles (km) in travel for that tank of fuel. It can definitely go down if you drive a bit harder and outside what is mathematically deemed as a neutral driving efficiency. you can even go back to 0 but it wont go below 0 as in negative value.

A negative value would have been good to see to indicate that you are really driving much harder than the average for that tank of fuel. Hence your miles per gallon or km/lt would be well shy of the deemed average mileage.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way I believe it works is it indicates how many miles (km) you save per tank by driving miserly. If you have accumulated +7 means you in theory would have gained an extra 7 miles (km) in travel for that tank of fuel. It can definitely go down if you drive a bit harder and outside what is mathematically deemed as a neutral driving efficiency. you can even go back to 0 but it wont go below 0 as in negative value.

A negative value would have been good to see to indicate that you are really driving much harder than the average for that tank of fuel. Hence your miles per gallon or km/lt would be well shy of the deemed average mileage.

What is the baseline it uses to compare with? Does it compare against Mini's standard MPG value, or something else? I used to think it compared against my own average driving style (as in if I drive softer than my personal average I gain miles) but I'm not sure anymore.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
I actually have no idea. I would assume it goes against a pre-set figure.
But similar to some Auto transmissions that learn how you drive and apply the gear changes to suit your driving style, is this figure based on a learnt driving habits from the on board computer????
The mysteries of algorithms and of course 'The Matrix'

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually have no idea. I would assume it goes against a pre-set figure.
But similar to some Auto transmissions that learn how you drive and apply the gear changes to suit your driving style, is this figure based on a learnt driving habits from the on board computer????
The mysteries of algorithms and of course 'The Matrix'

My theory is it uses the cars "nameplate" MPG and calculates additional miles over that. Not sure but for example say I drive 40 miles and get 40 mpg. That's one gallon of fuel used. Normally they'd expect me to use that fuel up in 38 miles so I went an extra 2 miles on that gallon compared to expectations. That would show a +2. Not sure If there's any way to confirm but that's my theory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts