Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 minii electrics , and both cars has never been over 99 miles on a full charge !
have we got 2 bad cars or is this the average ?Has anyone got anywhere near the mini’s quoted 145miles ?
please complain as i think we were sold a cars that doesn’t actually do145 miles .( tried green plus ) makes no difference . It should be fixed .
i was hoping to do my110 per day but now its not possible!
bmw mini have not yet answered my issue yet

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
310 Posts
A few things to note:

1. The WLTP quoted range of 140 - 144 miles is not real world figures. Mini say the following on the website “Mini Electric figures are for comparison purposes and may not reflect real life driving results which depend on a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, accessories fitted (post registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load.”

2. In the Winter electric cars have a significantly reduced range, this is due to how batteries work at low temperatures and the extra demand placed on them due to needing more heating, lights, etc.

3. The way you drive, regardless of the driving mode selected will also make a difference. Do you try drive in a careful way or use it like a go cart? Do you use the brakes at all or do you anticipate well and use the regen brakes most of the time?

As to the range I am getting: At the moment on cold days I am seeing a quoted range of around 100 miles. The actual range achieved can be more than the range shown as the figure tends to be pessimistic.
In the summer when I first got the car I was seeing a quoted range of 120 miles. I did make a trip to Blackpool and back which is 112 miles round trip, when I got home the car was showing a remaining range of approx 30 miles, so I have seen the full quoted range is possible. I did the trip in Green+ mode, did not go over 50mph on the motorway and was very careful to drive as economically as possible.

If you had done a bit of research before you bought the car then you would also have seen that the real world range of the Mini was quoted as 115 miles. As with all electric cars the WLTP is not really possible and real world ranges should be looked at. You can see this at the following site:

If you also read / watch any reviews of the Electric Mini which I presume you would have done before you bought the car, they all say that the range of 144 miles will not be possible in the real world and to expect more like 100 miles.

I don’t think you have faulty cars, they are performing the way all electric Minis seem to be doing, in line with other electric cars, i.e. giving a less than WLTP range in the real world. I don’t think you will get anywhere with BMW as they make is clear the 144 miles range is for comparison purposes only and not a guaranteed figure.

·
Super Moderator
7,264 Posts
Am proud to be.getting a predicted 94 miles. Swmbo drives it and lo and behold I get 101. Aircon off helps and speed is a killer .Drive.at.40 everywhere and.it will do better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As I said it is possible to get the 144 mile range, I managed it. Driving to empty is not something I would recommend though. 😂

·
Registered
310 Posts
There is of course another option here that the OP is an electric car troll / hater.

After all they have only just joined the forum, this was their first post and it looks like it was written by a 12 year old 😀

They also appear to have invested £60K in two Minis without doing and research about electric vehicle range.

Of course I could be proved wrong if they provided more details, photos of the cars, info on how they drive them, etc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The other issue is of course following the “guidance” about 20% and 80%.

Don’t drop below 20% charge and don’t charge over 80% which drops the range to more like 60-80 miles. I for one don’t follow the guidance, specifically about the 80% maximum.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Don’t drop below 20% charge and don’t charge over 80% which drops the range to more like 60-80 miles. I for one don’t follow the guidance, specifically about the 80% maximum.
This advice is for battery life longevity and applies to any device with a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery pack.

Probably not a concern unless you plan to own the vehicle outright.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This advice is for battery life longevity and applies to any device with a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery pack.

Probably not a concern unless you plan to own the vehicle outright.
The myth about EV battery life has been disproven quite a few times.

1. The batteries already have a top and bottom buffer built in so that you can never fully charge or discharge them. In the case of the Mini it has a 32.6kwh battery of which 28.9kwh is available for use. Meaning only 88.6% of the battery is used. Most of that will be at the upper end of the range. The Battery Management System along with active cooling will maintain the battery without having to limit the charge ourselves. Also there are many 10 year old Nissan Leaf cars that have been shown to have limited battery degradation even after covering many thousands of miles. Even if over time the battery loses some capacity it is not going to just stop working, it will continue to operate well into the future. A lot of this “worry” has been caused by the EV hating press and it needs to be corrected. If you look into it properly and do some research about older EVs then you will see it is not really a problem.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
To the OP - as others have said, there is nothing wrong with your car, just your expectation, which would have been more realistic had you done more research. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your MINI :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
In 5 to 10 years time who knows what battery technology will be like. We do know it will be better and cheaper. I’m sure if we need to replace batteries in 10 years time the options will be for better range, quicker charging and much cheaper prices. We also have to remember that ICE cars are not maintenance or cost free, engines, gear boxes, clutches, etc do need to be replaced.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Really why?
If you had done it you would not be perpetuating the myth about EV batteries.
Calm down Karen. I'm not "perpetuating the myth about EV batteries" but simply stating an established fact about lithium rechargeable battery chemistry.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Calm down Karen. I'm not "perpetuating the myth about EV batteries" but simply stating an established fact about lithium rechargeable battery chemistry.
And I added the facts about how car manufacturers are managing it with BMS, capacity management and cooling. We all know about battery degradation, what is important is to understand the reality behind it. Telling people to limit charges to 80% is not something you need to do with a good EV.

·
Registered
342 Posts
And I added the facts about how car manufacturers are managing it with BMS, capacity management and cooling.
I'm still in the dark as to why my explanation of your post,
for the thousands who read these forums, required such an elevated level of condescension from yourself.

We all know about battery degradation
Not everybody does.

Telling people to limit charges to 80% is not something you need to do with a good EV.
Where did I say that?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts