Mini Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You bought two cars. Over £50k total. And you trusted what the salesman said without doing any research?

Your cars are performing to specification. MINI have nothing to answer for, that's why they haven't got back to you. The range they publish is for the WLTP cycle. It is naive to think that you would achieve that.

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
425 Posts
Why research when the salesman quoted these numbers , anyway, I’m suprised mini bmw hasn’t come back with a detailed answer / excuse like yours as of yet .
I’ll post what happens next, i may affect all mini electric owners ?
It’s not an excuse, they are the facts. You can get 144 miles from a single charge, in fact you can get more. But the facts are that with cold weather, less than gentle driving, heating on or air con on. As an experiment today I turned off the air con in my Mini. Now I did not expect it to make any difference at all as it is cold outside and I had the heating set to 20 degrees, so you would expect it not to affect the range. I was really surprised that my range went from 105 miles to 118 miles when I turned the A/C off. Needless to say I will be driving with the A/C off from now on unless I need to cool the car. So you just believed what the salesman told you, no reading reviews, watching YouTube reviews, no other input when spending over £50k on two cars?

There is nothing wrong with the cars, all EVs lose about 20% of their range in cold weather. In the US the EPA range of the Mini is quoted as 112 miles. A recent test by a US car site checked the manufacturers range figures against the real world tests they did. In summer conditions the Mini did 150 miles, apparently 36% better than the range quoted by Mini. It is so variable. If you believe you have been misled by the dealer then you can return the cars under the Consumer Act in the UK. It states “Goods must be as described. The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.” So if the salesman said “you will get 144 miles of range on a full charge all the time” then the car does not match the description and you can take action under the law. Your contract is with the garage not BMW/Mini so you must make your case against the garage not the manufacturer. Specifically for cars the law says:

“Car dealer
If you bought the car in the UK and it doesn't meet one of the standards below, the Consumer Rights Act gives you the right to return the car or have it repaired.
When you buy a new or second-hand car from a UK dealership, the Consumer Rights Act stipulates that you can expect it to:
  • be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely).
There’s no exact definition of 'satisfactory quality', but you must consider the age, price, mileage, description applied and all other relevant circumstances when trying to decide whether it's of satisfactory quality.”

So I suggest you take action under The Consumer Act 2015, here:

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Why research when the salesman quoted these numbers , anyway, I’m suprised mini bmw hasn’t come back with a detailed answer / excuse like yours as of yet .
I’ll post what happens next, i may affect all mini electric owners ?
I’m still not convinced you actually have 2 Mini EVs. We have not seen them, no photos, no other posts here except this “complaint”. Very little facts from you about how they are driven and used. I could drop the range of my Mini to under 100 even in the summer just by being heavy footed, not using regen braking, air con on, etc.

Why have you contacted BMW? Why did you not contact the dealer who promised the range? They must surely be the first port of call. Even so as it has already been said, the car is performing within specification as stated by the manufacturer, so they will take no action and have nothing to answer. You issue is with the dealer who set the wrong expectation at best or told a barefaced lie.

Just read the Mini website, you will see the car is performing as advertised.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
WLTP for MINI Electric, figures are for comparison purposes and may not reflect real life driving results which depend on a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, accessories fitted (post registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load. They were obtained after the battery had been fully charged. The MINI Electric is a battery electric vehicle requiring mains electricity for charging. The electric range was determined according to a new test (WLTP). Only compare fuel consumption, CO2 and electric range figures with other cars tested to the same technical procedure.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Another thought…
You have not said what your journey is like, what speeds do you travel at? Is it urban slow traffic or motorway? That will also have a big impact on range. Speeds over 50mph reduce range as wind resistance increases, power conversion is less effective and you get no input from regen braking. At slower speeds with stop start driving the range will increase.
The car also adjusts the projected range based on the previous trips and driving style. You can reset the range, there is a thread about how to do it somewhere on here, have a look for it. Also have you actually tried to get over the range shown or just not tried? I find the range to be pessimistic and as you drive it can extend or not go down as quickly as first predicted, therefore going further than expected

Overall something about the OP posts just do not ring true. For someone with £50k+ to spend they seem inexperienced and naive. Very little info provided, unable to string a sentence together, badly typed and not really interested in the answers to the questions they asked.

Question 1 was - “have we got 2 bad cars or is this the average ?”

Answer - at the moment in the cold winter months people are getting around 100 miles of range on a full charge. That is a fact, just look at the posts on other threads.

Question 2 was - “Has anyone got anywhere near the mini’s quoted 145miles ?

Answer - Yes, in warmer weather when you don’t need heating or A/C it is very possible to get the quoted 144 miles if you avoid speeds over 50mph. In fact you can probably get more than 144 if you are a gentle driver.

I still don’t know why they have not contacted the salesman who sold them the cars.

If the questions are for real, tell us more, what cars, models, colours, journey, driving style, etc, etc. Post a photo of the cars together. How old are you? 18, 30, 50, 80, we have no idea from the info provided. I’m thinking 18 from the posts and inexperience at buying cars, but then where would an 18 year old get £50k?

As you can see I’m enjoying this thread, I feel like Miss Marple trying to get to the bottom of a mystery 😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator
7,443 Posts
Parky, BANG on, in every way! I am proud to be able to say that at the moment when I'm driving I am getting around 94 smiles predicted range. Just a little worried about my front tyres! Am even on occasion managing to use the brakes instead of regen! Good job these cars have speed limiters!

·
Super Moderator
7,443 Posts
Oh and 1.8 smiles per kw is my worst when measured in this way-I actually think I've managed 91 miles on the range estimate after a particularly fun drive home, next day! Can any one beat this I wonder?!:devilish:
WE're still averaging 100-120mpg equivalent at our fixed expensive by Parky's leccy with petrol at 115.9 at our local Asda last I looked. Or I am-swmbo much better. Somehow when clogging it you don't feel like you are thrashing it or doing anything the mechanics might not like-it's just those tyres and grip! Budgeting for far more rapid wear!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh and 1.8 smiles per kw is my worst when measured in this way-I actually think I've managed 91 miles on the range estimate after a particularly fun drive home, next day! Can any one beat this I wonder?!:devilish:
WE're still averaging 100-120mpg equivalent at our fixed expensive by Parky's leccy with petrol at 115.9 at our local Asda last I looked. Or I am-swmbo much better. Somehow when clogging it you don't feel like you are thrashing it or doing anything the mechanics might not like-it's just those tyres and grip! Budgeting for far more rapid wear!
Perhaps some new, sticky, rubber for the summer, Sir Lewis?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Good God I’m a boring driver!

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
197 Posts
@Parky14 Completely agree, who buys anything these days without doing a modicum of research on the internet, especially when your spending £25k+. @jeremybingham I'm with you, I have a real problem trying to be conservative in a car that doesn't want to be conservative, roll on the warmer weather, and no lockdowns!!

·
Super Moderator
7,443 Posts
Glad it isn't just me. The car makes you want to be a loon! And embarrass ice cars!

Reactions: Stuts11

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
You all seam to miss the point, what bmw published for range and spec in there documents are stated fact, it can be considered as mis selling if use in the wrong way,
I get 100 mile even in this cold weather -3 and the same in the summer never had over 100 mile per charge yet in 6 months
Have contact BMW but still no reply
I think the car is great just the expected range is disappointing
I think we should all contact BMW about the range and maybe get compensated for mid selling ( just like the diesel issues with Audi group and Mercedes) who would not want some cash back in there pocket
I know some of you are pro ev, but consider what you have been sold and what it dose
DID YOU GET A FAIR DEAL ?
(I have two ev i3 great on range 100 mile and Mini not as good 100 )

·
Registered
720 Posts
41 - 60 of 121 Posts