Mini Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
On the website it says:
140-145 miles range (WLTP)
There is then a little info button you can click with an explanation of WLTP which reads:
WHAT IS WLTP?

The CO2 figures shown have been determined according to the WLTP test. WLTP has been used as the applicable CO2 figure from 1 April 2020 for first year vehicle tax (VED) and from 6 April 2020 for company car tax (BIK). The CO2 figures were previously based on the NEDC equivalent. Figures shown are for comparability purposes. Only compare fuel consumption, CO2 and electric range figures with other cars tested to the same technical procedures. These figures may not reflect real life driving results, which will depend upon a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, accessories fitted (post-registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load. For plug-in hybrid vehicles these figures were obtained using a combination of battery power and fuel. Plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles require mains electricity for charging. More information on the WLTP test procedure can be found here.
A guide on fuel economy and CO2 emissions which contains data for all new passenger car models is available at any point of sale free of charge.

As for the MINI Electric, figures are for comparison purposes and may not reflect real life driving results which depend on a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, accessories fitted (post registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load. They were obtained after the battery had been fully charged. The MINI Electric is a battery electric vehicle requiring mains electricity for charging. The electric range was determined according to a new test (WLTP). Only compare fuel consumption, CO2 and electric range figures with other cars tested to the same technical procedure.

For further information you can also visit: gov.uk/co2-and-vehicle-tax-tools
I'd say this will protect them from any claim of mis-selling.

Also...I don't think I've ever achieved the advertised MPG figures on any car under normal driving conditions......why would the EV be any different?

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
310 Posts
Hi
You all seam to miss the point, what bmw published for range and spec in there documents are stated fact, it can be considered as mis selling if use in the wrong way,
I get 100 mile even in this cold weather -3 and the same in the summer never had over 100 mile per charge yet in 6 months
Have contact BMW but still no reply
I think the car is great just the expected range is disappointing
I think we should all contact BMW about the range and maybe get compensated for mid selling ( just like the diesel issues with Audi group and Mercedes) who would not want some cash back in there pocket
I know some of you are pro ev, but consider what you have been sold and what it dose
DID YOU GET A FAIR DEAL ?
(I have two ev i3 great on range 100 mile and Mini not as good 100 )
Again, BMW and Mini make it very clear that WLTP figures are for comparison only and are not a 'fact' as to the range you will get. They have not mis-sold anything, the fault lies with your expectations. What part of this do you not understand? Notice it says "Up to 145 miles'.

Then if you click on the info button next to the figures shown on the website it says....

"As for the MINI Electric, figures are for comparison purposes and may not reflect real life driving results which depend on a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, accessories fitted (post registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load."

That all seems very clear to me, the car can do a max of 145 miles, but it will do less than that due to the factors shown. They have no case to answer as far as I am concerned, if you misread it and set your expectations incorrectly then it is your error not theirs.

Just because the way you drive and use the car means you get 100 miles only does not mean the cars can't do the range specified. I have been able to get 140 miles from my Mini and will do again in the summer months, so why should I feel I have been mis-sold something when I know that is how EVs operate. Here is my 145 mile range test: Range Test - quite a surprise

If you had read any reviews, watched any videos about the car you would have seen that they all state that the 145 mile range is not realistic, but I guess you did no research at all before you bought the car, which is fine, you don't need to, but then don't be surprised when you learn something new about it later.

If you feel that it has been mis-sold to you then you need to go back to the dealer NOT Mini / BMW as your contract to purchase the car is with the dealer and any legal recourse must be taken up with them. I have already posted the details about returning a car if it has been mis-sold. Look up the Consumer Act 2015, specifically section on cars. It says:

"If you bought the car in the UK and it doesn't meet one of the standards below, the Consumer Rights Act gives you the right to return the car or have it repaired.
When you buy a new or second-hand car from a UK dealership, the Consumer Rights Act stipulates that you can expect it to:
  • be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)."
So according to you the car has not met the 2nd bullet point above, meaning you can return the car or have it repaired.
So stop whining about it not meeting your expectations and return the car to the dealer. Then you can buy something with an advertised WLTP range that then does not meet your expectations again.

I do feel I have had a fair deal, I got the car I expected with the range I expected. I did my research, read a few reviews, watched a bit of YouTube, visited the EV Database website (Mini Electric) and saw the following:

Notice the 'Real Range' is quoted at 115 miles, which you can easily fall below with a bit of a heavy foot, or motorway. Also you can do a lot better than 115 miles as I have shown in the past, with good weather and careful driving.

Final word - Take the car back and ask for a refund, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi
You all seam to miss the point, what bmw published for range and spec in there documents are stated fact, it can be considered as mis selling if use in the wrong way,
I get 100 mile even in this cold weather -3 and the same in the summer never had over 100 mile per charge yet in 6 months
Have contact BMW but still no reply
I think the car is great just the expected range is disappointing
I think we should all contact BMW about the range and maybe get compensated for mid selling ( just like the diesel issues with Audi group and Mercedes) who would not want some cash back in there pocket
I know some of you are pro ev, but consider what you have been sold and what it dose
DID YOU GET A FAIR DEAL ?
(I have two ev i3 great on range 100 mile and Mini not as good 100 )
I wonder, did the salesman also sell you:
  • Gap Insurance
  • Tyre Insurance
  • Paint / Interior protection
  • Service Contract for Tyres and Brakes

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Definitely one of the livelier threads on this forum in a while 🍿
Agreed.
Makes me kinda wish someone would join the forum to ask about bleedin' UJ rear lights for the 400th time, or whether or not we can trust the brakes to always work on EV's, just so that we can all get our breath back. 😂

·
Registered
202 Posts
Agreed.
Makes me kinda wish someone would join the forum to ask about bleedin' UJ rear lights for the 400th time, or whether or not we can trust the brakes to always work on EV's, just so that we can all get our breath back. 😂
I didn't know you had to bleed universal joints on rear lights!

·
Super Moderator
7,264 Posts
No jonfastbike we are all trying to point out to you that very sadly we all think it you that have it wrong and no leg to stand on . We don't necessarily think it's right BUT as we all know no one in a petrol or diesel gets the mpg that the figures and even the new measure is no different-all manufactuers clearly state you may not get the quoted figures. I don't think anyone has managed to reject an ice car on that basis but may be wrong of course . EV's are exactly the same-ice cars do less mpg in the cold, so do EVs and the adverts and blurb and all the brochures state that very clearly-the max range figures are for comparison with other makes and will vary as to how you drive-what power sources you use etc. The computer is an estimate-if you are brave you may find like driving like a saint around 40mph with nothing on in daylight you may well get more than 100 miles. BUT unless your dealer said and you can prove he said ie recorded it maybe that the car would do 140 miles all day every day on a full charge I am afraid you won't get far. BUT if you try it good luck. There is a very healthy demand for these cars so you probably won't lose too much money if you want rid-at the mo due to the long waiting list .

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This is on the mini brochure up to 140-145 !!!!
Everyones MINI Electric is getting up to 140-145 miles. @jeremybingham will get 50 miles as he is exploring the limits of performance(y),@Parky14 will get 120 miles from his because he is exploring the limits of economy(y) and MINI get 140 miles from theirs as they test it on the WLTP cycle.

"Some dinosaurs were up to twenty-seven metres long." That doesn't mean that every dinosaur was 27m long.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have 2 minii electrics , and both cars has never been over 99 miles on a full charge !
have we got 2 bad cars or is this the average ?Has anyone got anywhere near the mini’s quoted 145miles ?
please complain as i think we were sold a cars that doesn’t actually do145 miles .( tried green plus ) makes no difference . It should be fixed .
i was hoping to do my110 per day but now its not possible!
bmw mini have not yet answered my issue yet
YMMV

/thread

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is on the mini brochure up to 140-145 !!!! I wish

(Perky14 Do you work for bmw or mini as you defend them , otherwise you should be on the side of them owner )

View attachment 72036
As I said it says “Up To”, are you unable to understand what that means? People do get up to the range specified. What you have again failed to do is tell us anything at all about how you use the car, how you drive, what your journey consists of. I don’t work for BMW or Mini and I am on the side of common sense and using your brain. I provide advice and support to people here all the time. In fact all my answers to this question have been honest and have answered the questions asked. Just because you don’t like the answers does not mean they are wrong, or that I am against you. The facts are simple, the cars CAN and DO drive up to 140 miles, there is plenty of evidence that they do. You have NOT been told you will get 145 miles on a full charge every time you use the car, that is your misinterpretation of the information presented.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What I find odd about the two people who are really moaning about the range is that neither has really provided any information, even though we have asked.
No photos of the cars they claim to own.
I have asked for details about their driving style, journey, speeds used, etc, but for some reason they don’t provide anything. I respond with facts and evidence, they respond with then same claim to have been treated unfairly, cheated, want compensation. We don’t know if they are teenagers or OAPs. We do know there seems to be little common sense - no reading reviews or watching videos before you spend £25k on a car, believing what a salesperson tells you, not understanding the basics of EV ownership. I’m still not convinced they actually owns Mini Electric vehicles.

Anyway I have wasted to much time and effort going over the same things here, I’m not replying anymore to this thread. Will still be posting in others though.

Good luck with the refunds / compensation, I wish you all the best 👍

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
82 Posts
We don't necessarily think it's right BUT as we all know no one in a petrol or diesel gets the mpg that the figures and even the new measure is no different-all manufactuers clearly state you may not get the quoted figures. I don't think anyone has managed to reject an ice car on that basis but may be wrong of course . EV's are exactly the same-ice cars do less mpg in the cold, so do EVs and the adverts and blurb and all the brochures state that very clearly-the max range figures are for comparison with other makes and will vary as to how you drive-what power sources you use etc.
I'm not sure who the "we" are in your post but I have to disagree. My experience with both petrol and diesel engines is that the WLTP figures are achievable even in mid winter. I can easily achieve 39+ MPG in the JCW from a cold start in 1C ambient temperatures on a 12 mile round trip and around 52 MPG in the C Class diesel which has a WLTP consumption of 49-54 MPG. Of course my lifetime average in the JCW is a bit less because I do not always choose to drive it in an economical manner - if I did that I would probably have been better buying a lower power model. Yes ICE cars have less economy in cold conditions but not 35% less.

In cold conditions the WLTP test results for EVs are about as inaccurate as the previous NEDC figures were for ICE vehicles so I have to question the EU bureaucrats and engineers who came up with it and didn't think it useful to quote a range at a typical European winter temperature in addition to a typical summer temperature. Literally hundreds of millions of Euros (according to an Audi rep) were spent on the change over from NEDC to WLTP not to mention the delay it caused in car sales, so it seems like a missed opportunity not to provide prospective EV buyers with more useful range information, rather than a single figure at optimum conditions. The US system is much better in that regard as it includes a test at -20F (-7C).

Now that the UK has left the EU, perhaps we should come up with our own system. Give the cars to Chris Harris or @jeremybingham for a weekend and use the test data. "Your range may vary but should be no less than 65 miles". That way expectations can only be exceeded.

·
Super Moderator
7,264 Posts
Mmm perhaps then I was remiss with slating the new system-tbh rarely take any notice of it-you do well out of the JCW -I was happy with 34-35 every day in sensible mixed driving over mixed 11-30 mile trips-longer ones I did 37mpg min-but I just can't drive the EV sensibly and I did with the JCW Clubby! Don't know what it is! May be I could have a new role-let's see what is the minimum range I can get out of any EV! Now that's a job I'd like!

Parky thank you for your extremely detailed explanations and research; I really do enjoy your posts and find them tremendously informative and well researched. I think you've/we've probably said it all on this subject anyway-hopefully the OP will come back to us with the responses he gets from the dealer he bought the cars from.? Please.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts