Mini Cooper Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

Super Moderator
EXACTLY! And SWMBO is out in it now so tomorrow when I need it I'll have an indicated good range-little does the poor car know-heh heh heh!!!馃槇

Registered
People forget what range actually means. If you are trying to get 140 miles by getting into the car every morning in the cold and driving two miles and repeat... then you are mistaken. However, if you get in fully charged and are going to travel that mileage right there and then, achieving it is much more likely. It's exactly the same as a diesel engine being more efficient on a long journey vs a short hop. If you watch all the "I drove it til it died" videos, you will see that they achieved MORE than the stated range. They were all driving from 100% to 0%.

Registered
Bang on Doug. And of course don't take a leaf(joke there ?) out of my driving book.
Just had a look at Bjorn Nyland's google doc. Public - Google Drive

If you look at the range tests, you will see that the Mini SE is the most efficient of all cars at 120km. Sort column I out A-Z and you will see that it uses 177 Wh/km. At 90 it's pretty efficient too using 128 Wh/km. The range at these speeds is 147 and 101 miles respectively.

Super Moderator
Excellent point, salesmen never lie.

Oh, wait :unsure:

Having been in sales most of my life I find your comment out of order.... If a salesman lies, he'll only have that customer once, if he is open and honest, he'll have a customer for life. Most sales people know and understand this, but it's easy to stereotype....

Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
Having been in sales most of my life I find your comment out of order.... If a salesman lies, he'll only have that customer once, if he is open and honest, he'll have a customer for life. Most sales people know and understand this, but it's easy to stereotype....
Nothing out of order about it at all - it happens regularly although I find the majority (>50%) of salesmen honest. I do not believe it was Dragonfly's intent to label all salesmen as dishonest. On many an occasion I've been fed inaccurate or deliberately misleading BS from salesmen and I've gone to the manufacturers website to prove them wrong on the spot which has little impact. A lot of salesmen do not seem to care about having a customer only once, they seem more driven to make a single sale and the commission at the month end. Some of the larger dealers also have quite a high turnover in staff so from a customer retention perspective those mobile guys are less likely to look four years into the future than say a long term sales manager or dealership principal.

Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
I tell them up front how to deal with me:
  • Don鈥檛 try to sell me add one, I will not buy gap insurance, tyre insurance or paint / interior protection, you will be wasting your time
  • Give me your best offer at the start and if it is decent I will decide there and then, if it鈥檚 not i will walk away and not come back for a 2nd chance
  • I show them the online offers I have managed and if they can match or beat them the deal is theirs
  • If they have to ask their boss, then let me talk to the boss and cut out the middle man, all the smoke and mirrors are not required
  • If there is a deal to be had on finance, then I want the same deal even though I鈥檓 paying cash
  • I鈥檓 fair and realistic they they need to make a profit, but cut out all the crap as it is not needed

Registered
So, by extrapolation, are you saying that no salesman ever lies?

People lie. This is a commonly accepted fact.

Apologies if I hurt your feelings.

Super Moderator
I would say some embellish /exaggerate the truth-when they make claims, I always look at them with a critical eye-but I can't say these days we've had anything other than great sales people-we wouldn't go back otherwise. We so liked our caravan salesperson-sadly moved on-he really did go the extra mile, that we paid about 拢100 more for the caravan as his boss wouldn't/couldn't quite match the deal we'd had elsewhere for the same item. That said he managed to sneak in a couple of tv brackets to make up!

Super Moderator
Right so just back from picking the daughter up to get her to work for 3am-her car in for service and she was asked to work on her days off-Morrisons are short staffed and very busy on the home delivery side (and she needs the cash-knows how to spend it) no traffic-did it today and yesterday. Trip computer said 91mile range both mornings , both mornings fairly warm though to be fair yesterday was about 3-4 and today 8 degrees(winter tyres-mmmmm dodgy on roundabouts in this-4 wheel drift-yesterday-while seeing of a 5 series BMW estate-which of course we did with ease).
Two mornings no traffic-yesterday-daughter was a bit late so-flat out -drove like I usually do-stole it-sport mode and gps indicated speed limit-not speedo-ie indicated 66 in a 60 77 in a 70. Got home with 50% battery.
Today she was early(!!!) drove sensibly to waste a bit of time -not flooring it but briskly accelerating-cruised at indicated 65 on dual carriageways and 55 on A roads where safe to do so-so just under the limits at all times-Got home-60% battery. Makes a difference-precon on both days btw.

Registered
Disappointed. Our Mini EV has been getting IRL range from full charge as poor as 65 miles at 5-10 degrees celsius. That's with the battery conditioned, minimal interior heating and at max speed of 30 mph - Would better research when we bought it six months ago have told us that?
BMW dismiss our complaints in the usual way, as does the dealer - but the latter has admitted they now are seeing significant levels of complaintsfrom dissatisfied Mini EV buyers. Are these 'electric car trolls', or ust ordinary punters who believe advertising. Even if they had done research in the way suggested, they would not have found performance this poor. Why dismiss and insult people - like the OP - who buy a vehicle with the expectation that manufacturer's promises should have some credibility?
Anyone on here interested in sharing data in the hope of getting more honesty from BMW Group?

Registered
Hi
You all seam to miss the point, what bmw published for range and spec in there documents are stated fact, it can be considered as mis selling if use in the wrong way,
I get 100 mile even in this cold weather -3 and the same in the summer never had over 100 mile per charge yet in 6 months
Have contact BMW but still no reply
I think the car is great just the expected range is disappointing
I think we should all contact BMW about the range and maybe get compensated for mid selling ( just like the diesel issues with Audi group and Mercedes) who would not want some cash back in there pocket
I know some of you are pro ev, but consider what you have been sold and what it dose
DID YOU GET A FAIR DEAL ?
(I have two ev i3 great on range 100 mile and Mini not as good 100 )
I agree- we need an owner's group to take this to BMW with some clout.

Registered
Disappointed. Our Mini EV has been getting IRL range from full charge as poor as 65 miles at 5-10 degrees celsius. That's with the battery conditioned, minimal interior heating and at max speed of 30 mph - Would better research when we bought it six months ago have told us that?
BMW dismiss our complaints in the usual way, as does the dealer - but the latter has admitted they now are seeing significant levels of complaintsfrom dissatisfied Mini EV buyers. Are these 'electric car trolls', or ust ordinary punters who believe advertising. Even if they had done research in the way suggested, they would not have found performance this poor. Why dismiss and insult people - like the OP - who buy a vehicle with the expectation that manufacturer's promises should have some credibility?
Anyone on here interested in sharing data in the hope of getting more honesty from BMW Group?
So what is the best range you have managed?
From the experience of many other Mini EV drivers the range you describe is not typical of the range other people get. I have not insulted people I have simply stated the facts. The people who have complained about range have never provided any supporting information. Even you quote a worst range of 65 miles, but what is your best range. How was it driven on the trips before the one that you say was 65 miles? Previous trips and driving styles affect the predicted range. Have you tried resetting the range (there is a thread about it somewhere). The range quoted by BMW / Mini is not and has never been a 鈥渕anufacturers promise鈥 and it is disingenuous of you to portray it as such.

You are another poster that has no evidence that you even own a Mini EV. You first post is to complain about poor range that frankly does not sound credible. Show us a photo of your car, tell us about it, how you use it, charge it, etc. We then might be able to help rather than having to explain the same stuff about EVs and range all the time. I have NEVER seen a range of less than 95 miles on a full charge, and that was in sub zero temperatures, with the heating cranked right up. I can get it to show about 80 miles at a push if you look at the video here.

If you feel you have been mis-sold the car I have provided all the information you need to return it under the Consumer Act 2015. If you feel you have a good case then you should be able to get your money back. That is your best course of action rather than posting here and expecting people who don鈥檛 have the issue to agree with you. All the people you claim are insulting others are in fact just stating the range that they are getting and that it meets their expectations, I鈥檓 sorry you don鈥檛 like the fact that we are happy with our car, but that is the way it is. I can see you are not happy, so take some actual action against the dealer with whom you have the contract (not BMW), reject the car as not fit for purpose.

Registered
An idea for you:

Do you have the Mini Connected app installed? Not the newer Mini app but the older Mini Connected?

If not I suggest you install it as it provides useful information about how the car is performing re: range, kWh per mile etc.

Here is the link for the iOS version:

Once installed, make sure it is connected to the car and running on your next trip, you will then be able to access screens that show how the car is performing, like the ones in the next post.

Registered

As you can see I am averaging 4.3 miles per kWh. Giving a range of 4.3 * 28.9 (useable part of battery) = 124 miles. Not bad as it has been driven down by recent cold trips. It has been as high as 4.7 giving a range of 135 miles. It would be interesting to see what figures you can see as that might indicate if there is an issue.

Registered
For fairness here is my report on my range test I did in the summer:

Registered
A few of us are sceptical about the people complaining about range, for a number of reasons.
  1. The first post they have made to this forum is about issues with range, all 100% negative about the car, dealer, Mini, BMW
  2. They have provided very little evidence (none) that they actually own a Mini EV
  3. They have provided little or no information about how they use the car, journey types, speeds and all the other things that affect range
  4. They keep on stating the 145 mile WLTP range as a factual range promised by the dealer / manufacturer when it is in fact not that at all
  5. They don鈥檛 appear to be taking any real action regarding returning the cars to the dealer under the Consumer Act 2015, for which I have provided all the information needed
  6. They don鈥檛 seem to accept that other owners can be happy with the range we get, because we understand the capabilities of EVs and have realistic expectations
  7. Respond to questions I and others have asked, which would help us understand their issues and point to potential solutions / ideas about their range issues
If the people who have range issues really want advice and support then you need to tell us more. Show us your cars, tell us how you drive them, tell us about your journeys, the speeds you drive at, use the Mini Connected app to monitor the cars energy performance and publish the results here. Tell use what you actually like about the car, is it really all negative? Tell us if you have rejected the car officially under the Consumer Act, there are letter templates on the internet to help you do that. Have you taken legal advice? If I had an issue as significant as the one you are saying exists for you then I would be doing more than posting the odd moan in a forum. I can see some of you have contacted the dealer and are not happy with their replies, so take it further legally, as we really can鈥檛 help you. We can help if you provide more information.

Registered
What level of regen braking do you use?

81 - 100 of 121 Posts