Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the numbers are finally in for my 2016 JCW. I have dilligently kept a record of every drop of gas that has gone into my car. And now, after my first year of ownership, I thought someone might be interested in the numbers.

First, I should let you know this is based in San Diego, California. The numbers represent ALL driving both freeway and general (sometimes with Sport mode on...but RARELY in green mode). The auto start/stop feature always ON. Tires ALWAYS properly inflated.

Total Number of Miles: 12,715.6
Total Gallons Consumed: 451.647
Total Cost: $1,393.60
Annual MPG: 28.15
Average Monthly Miles: 1,059.63
Average Monthly Cost: $116.13
Average Cost per Gallon $3.09

I hope this information is of interest to others. I think I may continue for another year :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, the numbers are finally in for my 2016 JCW. I have dilligently kept a record of every drop of gas that has gone into my car. And now, after my first year of ownership, I thought someone might be interested in the numbers.

First, I should let you know this is based in San Diego, California. The numbers represent ALL driving both freeway and general (sometimes with Sport mode on...but RARELY in green mode). The auto start/stop feature always ON. Tires ALWAYS properly inflated.

Total Number of Miles: 12,715.6
Total Gallons Consumed: 451.647
Total Cost: $1,393.60
Annual MPG: 28.15
Average Monthly Miles: 1,059.63
Average Monthly Cost: $116.13
Average Cost per Gallon $3.09

I hope this information is of interest to others. I think I may continue for another year :)
Lovely cheap fuel over there!
£2.29 a gallon, shut the front door! Costs me that for c.1.75 litres.

Good average miles per gallon though, pretty interesting.
Ok quick comparison looking at Uk gallons, price and current exchange rates. For the same annual mileage, driving a Cooper SD and getting 50mpg I reckon it would cost £1271 or $1707 usd. So I guess if I was driving a JCW it would be nearly twice that.

Glad I got the SD!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Last 1354 miles at 59 mpg
Average over 20k is 54 mpg

SD

·
Registered
64 Posts
We're averaging 35 UK MPG in a new JCW including some 120-130mph runs in Germany.
A lot of mine is 'shortish' trip of 12 miles each way in to a City - no really heavy traffic, bit of stop start and I'm getting 35.8mpg. That's with using sport mode and sport gearbox quite a bit - obviously not enough!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I can not get pass 38MPG in mixed traffic. The Miles go down when the top goes down on the convertible

The MINI Convertible Cooper S is a fun car to drive. We had the chance to sample it a couple of times since its introduction earlier this year and we love the way it feels. However, like every other Convertible out there, whereas it is undeniably fun to drive with the top down, it also brings a couple of issues with it, issues that you may not be aware of at first.

There’s the luggage room issue in the trunk, to begin with. Having a retractable roof is fun and all but it does take away some serious space in the boot, leaving little to nothing for travel cases or bags. That’s especially true on a model such as the MINI which isn’t all that generous in this regard on the Hardtop version either. Another downside is that you can’t really use it all day and all year long either.

Driving with the wind in your hair does seem like a great prospect but that’s only true when the temperature allows it. Drop the top at 100 degrees and you’ll soon start noticing that you’re too hot for comfort and that some AC and a closed roof might be a better idea. And while all of these are well known facts for most people, some are still wondering how much of a difference driving with the top on and off makes in terms of mpg ratings.

The guys from The Fast Lane car wanted to find out as well so they set out to do a real-life experiment. Now, you shouldn’t expect the precision of say the Mythbusters but they did give it a try, and we thank them for it. Over a strip of 98 miles, their fuel consumption figures went from 37.9 mpg (6.2 l/100km) with the top up to 32.8 mpg (7.1 l/100 km) with the top down. That a serious difference and while the test could’ve been done better, it’s pretty clear that you’ll be less efficient without the roof on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have dilligently kept a record of every drop of gas that has gone into my car. And now, after my first year of ownership, I thought someone might be interested in the numbers.
Well done to you sir, I thought I was the only person in the world who did stuff like this! I'm an absolutely terrible spreadsheet fanatic....

(I'm doing the same for my JCW, only a month in, but for reference averaging 43.2mpg on Super Unleaded, circa £1.15/l by us, running in and motorway miles though so expect it to drop a little....)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
(I'm doing the same for my JCW, only a month in, but for reference averaging 43.2mpg on Super Unleaded, circa £1.15/l by us, running in and motorway miles though so expect it to drop a little....)
:eek: 43 mpg in a JCW ??? You do know where the gas pedal is don't you ?

I've had mine for 10 months, (9070 miles) and I average mid 30's at best. Mind you, it's very rare for the car NOT to be in sport, it has never seen that green mode, and I often drive with the gearbox in port or manual.

Either I'm driving like a loon, or you drive like my old man >:D Maybe somewhere in the middle. (Did your car come with a pipe & slippers?) :laugh:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Either I'm driving like a loon, or you drive like my old man >:D Maybe somewhere in the middle. (Did your car come with a pipe & slippers?) :laugh:
yeah I know.... I'm a 43 year old 'old man' !!!!!

Problem I have is I have to use it for work, they give me a monthly allowance to buy what I want and they then pay me a set mileage rate for fuel, as long as I hit 38+mpg, it pays for itself..... otherwise I'd be back in a diesel box and I really dont want that. So I drive it like an old man all week and rag it around at the weekend :)

TBH, I just love having it, and blipping the throttle when the manifold is hot with the flaps open to p1ss the neighbours off (I get on really well with them really, sportsbike freaks on both sides)

It had its first clean today - first time I've cleaned a car in 17 years. Don't trust anyone else to do it.... Mini Love :x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.