Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ’ve been a little down on the new automatic gearbox in the JCW (and Cooper S) recently. While it’s a huge improvement over the previous automatics in MINIs, it delivers less driver engagement as compared to the manual. That doesn’t mean it’s not fast of course. In fact if you want the fastest MINI possible, you’ll want to check the automatic box on the order form. However getting the most out of the automatic takes more than just putting your foot down. There’s a process and a surprising catch to using MINI’s launch control.

The process to engage MINI’s launch control is a bit more complicated than you might expect:

Shift gear selector to Sport Automatic (down to “D” and left to “M/S”)
Engage Sport Mode
Engage DTC
Left foot on brake
Right foot on full throttle (must click past overboost button below pedal)
A checkered flag will appear in the speedometer
Driver now has 3 seconds to release the brake and… LAUNCH!
The result of this will be a MINI that sprints towards its top speed wth the best possible grip and shifts. However there’s a catch. MINI is limiting the use of the system to 100 times over the life of the car. Furthermore launch control is only recommended by MINI once 2,000 miles engine break-in period is complete.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/08/24/minis-launch-control-decoded/

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would say 100 times is fairly good. Whilst many of us may practice spirited starts often, I couldn't ever imagine using launch control at traffic lights or on a roundabout. It's only good for drag strips, impressing your friends and testing your 0-60mph times. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a loan car (Cooper S sports auto) 5 months old and 5000 miles on the clock. I did launch control 3/4 times and then it stopped working. I thought that I was doing something wrong. Now I see loan car drivers had taken all the fun out of the car. Shame when they'll have to sell the car. Poor buyer, only if he knew!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
There has GOT to be a way to reset that counter. I'm getting a manual, but if I had an auto I would definitely be hacking that little feature into "as often as I like". It's a car, not an ice cream cone! =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm confused? I have tried several times to see this so called checkered flag using launch control. However all I see is the flashing of the drifting icon. I am thinking that flash is from wheel spin. New to Mini's, any advice would be nice. Maybe a picture on the speedometer of what I'm supposed to see would be Awesome! Much thanks, 2015 Mini Cooper S,, 3000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know what this checkered flag looks like? I have tried several times using launch control and followed all the steps, however all I ever see is the drifting icon blinking in the speedo. I would love to see a picture of what the flag actually looks like. Much thanks for any advice. 2015 Mini Cooper S 3000 miles.:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Does anyone know what this checkered flag looks like? I have tried several times using launch control and followed all the steps, however all I ever see is the drifting icon blinking in the speedo. I would love to see a picture of what the flag actually looks like. Much thanks for any advice. 2015 Mini Cooper S 3000 miles.:)
Had a thought today and tried a system test to see if the chequered flag icon shows up on the speedo but no luck.........every light was flashing,even those for options I don't have fitted.

Doubt if anyone would be able to get a pic of the icon if it is only visible for three seconds. Just have to keep trying:(

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Make sure you are not turning DSC completely off - you want DTC on or it won't work. A quick tap of the DSC OFF switch will do. Holding it down will turn DSC and DTC off.

DSC --> DTC --> EDLC

Also make sure you are hitting the kickdown switch on the throttle.

Dmini: do you have the Sport Automatic? You'll have paddles on the steering wheel if you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure you are not turning DSC completely off - you want DTC on or it won't work. A quick tap of the DSC OFF switch will do. Holding it down will turn DSC and DTC off.

DSC --> DTC --> EDLC

Also make sure you are hitting the kickdown switch on the throttle.

Dmini: do you have the Sport Automatic? You'll have paddles on the steering wheel if you do.

Thanks for the quick response! I do not have the paddle shifters, Interesting about the DSC? I guess I'll try to tap it quickly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I do not have the paddle shifters, Interesting about the DSC? I guess I'll try to tap it quickly?
Also my Cooper S shift handle says M/S so I thought sliding it to the left in sport mode,,:| would be correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a thought today and tried a system test to see if the chequered flag icon shows up on the speedo but no luck.........every light was flashing,even those for options I don't have fitted.

Doubt if anyone would be able to get a pic of the icon if it is only visible for three seconds. Just have to keep trying:(

I know right? I feel quite dangerous staring at the speedo for this flag!:eek:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts