Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Had another thought (dangerous) but if I remember right there was a mention about keeping your hands of the steering wheel......initially that would be of course:laugh:
Might have been mentioned in the handbook?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I do not have the paddle shifters, Interesting about the DSC? I guess I'll try to tap it quickly?
No paddle shifters = no sport automatic = no launch control :( By tap quickly, I mean press it without holding it for more than a couple seconds. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say 100 times is fairly good. Whilst many of us may practice spirited starts often, I couldn't ever imagine using launch control at traffic lights or on a roundabout. It's only good for drag strips, impressing your friends and testing your 0-60mph times. :)[/QUOTE

Is there a launch control counter? How do we know how many LC are left?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you had traction control on when you were trying this which is why the light would flash / flicker. Did you get it sorted?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just tried this several times and it sounded like I was breaking the gearbox... I followed the steps:

- Turned car on
- Straight in to M/S
- Sport mode on
- Push toggle up to engage DSC
- Left foot as hard as possible on the break
- Right foot held past kick down

All I got was nothing but screeching breaks and a clicking gearbox, what am I doing wrong?!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just tried this several times and it sounded like I was breaking the gearbox... I followed the steps:

- Turned car on

- Straight in to M/S

- Sport mode on

- Push toggle up to engage DSC

- Left foot as hard as possible on the break

- Right foot held past kick down

All I got was nothing but screeching breaks and a clicking gearbox, what am I doing wrong?!

Push toggle up to engage DSC - as long as you meant disengage and your not on kickdown for more that a couple of seconds... I don't think you are doing it wrong but I'm no pro as I've never used mine and won't due to being to scared since power increase mods.

The book says:
Sport mode
M/S mode
DSC off
Hard on brake - full on throttle
Flag should appear on dash
No more than 3 seconds - release brake

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Push toggle up to engage DSC - as long as you meant disengage and your not on kickdown for more that a couple of seconds... I don't think you are doing it wrong but I'm no pro as I've never used mine and won't due to being to scared since power increase mods.

The book says:
Sport mode
M/S mode
DSC off
Hard on brake - full on throttle
Flag should appear on dash
No more than 3 seconds - release brake
I'll try it!

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
Make sure your engine is fully warm! Less harm that way.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Still didn't work, maybe I'm not holding the accelerator on kick down for long enough... I do get scared and let go when my car starts screeching, so I don't think I'm gonna try it again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Make sure DTC is on and you're not turning everything completely off. The instrument display should say "TRACTION" and not "DSC OFF".

You do have the sport auto transmission right?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Make sure DTC is on and you're not turning everything completely off. The instrument display should say "TRACTION" and not "DSC OFF".

You do have the sport auto transmission right?
Yep, I have the Sports Auto - its the only one available on the SD here in the UK.

I've tried numerous ways and its still not worked, not really fussed - just wanted to do it once.

It said traction on both attempts, I only flicked the switch - I didn't hold it for three seconds to turn it off.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hmm...How many miles do you have on it? I think it locks the feature out during break in - that's the only other thing I can think of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow... only 100 times

then what...
I thought remembering reading something about using "launch control" once or twice during the lifetime of the car.

Personally, I think it's a great way to break engine, transmission and axle parts. I may try it once ... the day I drive it to my dealer to trade it in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think I read in the manual that you can't just do launch control from cold or even a short trip. It said something about driving uninterrupted for a good number of miles before it will allow you to do it?

I think that's the case, or I'm just making something up, but it could explain your difficulties?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unable to do launch control(tried few times) on my 2016 MCS 4 door with auto transmission. Here is the thing. I bought my car used with less than 20K on it. Although my car is Cooper S, customer or MINI dealer ordered this car with regular steering wheel from the factory and it doesn't have paddle shifters but should it matter?

I have watched few videos about it and here is what I do:

1) I pressed tracking toggle once, so dynamic stability control was active and word tracking with exclamation point was displayed
2) Put my car into Sport mode
3) I switched my auto transmission lever to S/M mode
4) One foot on the brake and the other on the gas
All I felt is that front of the car wants to go, but brakes hold it. What does it mean, no launch control or am I doing something wrong?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts