Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So, my boyfriend and I spent our 3 day weekend detailing up my new Mini, and also decided to install the OEM Click & Drive system. We wanted to install it ourselves, and the only instructions we could find were actually pretty worthless, and there didn't seem to be any other people posting detailed steps on install, so we decided to document our crazy journey for anyone wanting to do it themselves. After installing it the traditional factory way, and seeing its limitations, we came up with an even better setup, which I will document below!

Basically, I loved the idea of the Click & Drive system - being able to have my phone/navigation right at my eye level by the steering wheel, and I also loved the idea that the phone can plug directly into the system to charge (and use Mini connected....or so I thought). What we found out through this install process, is that you can only use the Mini Connected app using the USB port below the center instrument, or with the snap-in adapter in the center console.

The way the Click & Drive works, is you install an awesome OEM piece behind your instrument cluster that allows for movement to hold your gadget (ie. iPhone, GPS, etc.). The part comes suited up with wiring and electrical hardware for you to wire into the Mini's electrical system, which is what we did, originally. But when the process was all said and done, I realized, I couldn't use the Mini Connected app unless my lightning cable was hanging all the way down and plugged into that one special USB port - which then pretty much rendered my Click & Drive system as just a fancy iPhone holder and charger. I personally like using the Mini Connected app to stream my Spotify. If that's not such a big deal to you, and you do everything over bluetooth anyway, then you're good! Just follow the regular install. (Which I can give any tips on if you need) But if you're like me, and you want access to any and all options possible, you can follow this special little setup. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, first thing is first, we didn't decide to document this until we had already removed the instrument cluster, but it's very simple. You have to remove some screws on the back of the cluster, as well as some little pieces on the bottom of the cluster on either side:
Watch Analog watch Measuring instrument Gauge Auto part

We used a small Allen wrench to get those pieces out on the bottom.

For installing the actual Click & Drive unit, it's just a matter of attaching it to the back of the cluster via the long screws that are provided in the package. :)
Auto part Wheel

Now for the fun stuff...The cable that is directly attached to the Click & Drive unit itself, is a USB cable - that USB cable then attaches to this power converter unit, which is attaching to the wiring that will connect to the electrical in your Mini. For this setup, you can ditch all the wiring. All you'll need is the USB cable, which is permanently attached to the unit itself. :)
Arm Hand Photography

You lead the cable attached to the unit, into your dash, and down into the footwell.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper

Steering part Steering wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Next, for our setup, you pop out the panel under your center instrument, that include the AUX in and USB ports. We just used a flat-head metal tool, with a thing cloth around it to prevent scratching. The panel will come loose, as it's just attached with clips.
Vehicle Auto part Car Gear shift

Hand Finger Auto part Camera Cameras & optics

Next step is going to be removing that white harness from the panel, which is the USB unit. I wanted to ensure that I could reverse this whole setup and return everything to stock if I so decided one day, so we were extra careful with this process. We took extra care and time in removing this piece using the tabs, being careful not to snap any of the locks or tabs off.
Finger Hand Wrist Nail Measuring instrument

Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics Electronics accessory

Next, the USB cable you left hanging in your footwell, you need to fish it through so that it will appear in the hole where you removed that panel. We did this by trial and error, and shining a light through the hole to see if we could see any light in the gaps of some of the panels next to this area, down in the footwell. You just need to gently pry back a few trim pieces and fish your cable through until you strike gold. This is much easier with 2 people, as one person can have their hand in the hole, waiting for the arrival of the USB cable.
Finger Nail Hand Auto part Material property

Continued.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once you've fished your USB cable through, all that is left to do, is to attach the USB harness you pried off the panel to this USB cable.
Auto part Cable Trunk Wire Technology

I forgot to mention, we also taped over the hole where the original USB port was, on the back of the panel, so no dust can enter in that area.
Technology Electronic device

Once you've attached your USB, just re-attach the AUX-in wiring hardness, and re-attach your panel, and BOOM. You're Click & Drive is now connected to the main USB port, and you only have to plug your lightning cable in on the Click & Drive unit. No wires hanging down over your dash. :D

Speedometer Tachometer Gauge Vehicle Auto part

Speedometer Auto part Gauge Vehicle Tachometer

Yes, this will essentially take away your USB port for any other devices, however, our next project is to split the harness, and add back a USB port to fill that port, allowing for this setup, while keeping a usable USB port in that panel!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Putting the harness from behind the USB to the connectors in the passenger footwell only takes about 30 mins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great post, thanks!

If you were able to add back a functional USB port to the panel under the center instrument, could you post those instructions as well? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Does this work for iPhone 6 Plus???
Yes, but you have to get the universal clasp, though it barely fits my 6S Plus with a slim case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, but you have to get the universal clasp, though it barely fits my 6S Plus with a slim case.
I was actually thinking on purchasing a standard iphone 6 plus holder then remove it from the original base, and i've seen that this come with a ball for adjusting the phone, maybe that work... will wait to try it... haven't receive anything yet... but will let you know

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a great post, thanks!

If you were able to add back a functional USB port to the panel under the center instrument, could you post those instructions as well? Thanks again.
I tried with a USB Hub, and doesnt really work well, so i ran a USB extension from the end to the USB port, doesnt look bad, just have to find a good USB cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Few Questions on this ?

This post is very promising for what I was hoping to do, basically want my iPhone in line of view but with full Mini Connected capability. Had a couple of questions if you can confirm as I haven't seen the Click & Drive yet ?

I assume the standard base unit has the USB cable wired in, I could then run that down to the centre console and rather than hard wire in could I try to leave the USB through and plug/unplug as required for any other devices ?

If I purchase the specific iphone 5 click & drive do you then still plug in a USB cable to the base unit or is it all wired directly to a lightning connector ?

If I wanted to save £100 and get say a Brodit holder which fits to the centre console do you think there would be a way to run the USB cable down to the USB port behind the dash ?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a great post (besides upside down blurry photos, but I won't blame you for that) and really good news that this is possible, although I'd try and find a way to keep the USB functionality in the centre console. A much better, cheaper option than the ridiculous armrest snap-in adapter!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, this will essentially take away your USB port for any other devices, however, our next project is to split the harness, and add back a USB port to fill that port, allowing for this setup, while keeping a usable USB port in that panel!
did you manage to complete this project? Really curious to know if it worked out for you. on a side note, couldn't one use a USB splitter (hub) to retain the use of the port ?

I have to wait another 3 months before my F56S arrives, so many questions, no way to know till then. the curiosity is killing me...:crying:

·
Registered
9 Posts
This also looks a LOT easier than the actual factory install (routing the wire to a junction box on the passenger side and tapping into 2 connectors)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also installed the Click and Drive on my Clubman (F54). I also was looking for a way to connect my iPhone to the main usb port for data and power but initially was afraid of taking apart any panels on the car as the console with the usb port is not the same as in the f56.

I went an easier route and instead I took apart the Click and Drive and removed the USB cable that was routed inside, which turns out is just an USB extension cable with a male and female side. The cable is routed and tucked under a metal-ish plate inside the unit so you have to unscrew 5 screws (2 were hidden under the soft felt material). There will be a hole left on the unit itself where the usb port was but I'm going to try covering it with a usb port cover or something.

I know I'm going to have a cable dangling when the phone is connected to the main usb port but I was going to feel guilty just snipping the cable just in case later on I wanted to install it properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factory install for Click & Drive System

This also looks a LOT easier than the actual factory install (routing the wire to a junction box on the passenger side and tapping into 2 connectors)
I'd like to follow the factory install instructions, since you appear to have knowledge of the correct way to connect this unit up can you share the source of your information or a document if you have one. I presume the cable from the unit just needs to be spliced into an available power line using the two clips provided in the kit, so if you can provide details I'd be very grateful.

The dealer install price in the US is $100, so I don't believe this is difficult, maybe just a little fiddly.

Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts