Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

MINI is reportedly working on a JCW version of the Clubman. Well, duh! We've seen spy photos of the thing, plus there was one based on the previous model that almost nobody bought.

We don't need anybody telling us that it will be powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, as this is the mainstay of the British carmaker's new army. However, new details have emerged, suggesting the output will be much higher than on the JCW hardtop we tested a few months ago.

According to Auto Express magazine insiders, the top-spec Clubman will use the engine from the BMW 330i. That one packs about 250 ponies, but they are tuning it with the hope of raising the output to around 300 hp.

“There’s room for expansion in the hot hatch market,” the source said. “I think there is potential. Britain is the home of MINI, and Britain is a strong market for the hot hatch.”

It makes perfect sense to add more power for the Clubman JCW. Because the new model is much bigger now, it occupies the same market space as the VW Golf. So a rival for Golf R is needed, and it should have at least as much power and the benefit of all-wheel traction.

How fast will it be?

The 330i xDrive with an 8-speed automatic reaches 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.8 seconds. Cut a bit of the body away and add 50 more horses of power and you could be looking at a Clubman that tickles the 5-second range.

We see absolutely no reason the same logic wouldn't apply to the new Countryman crossover, expected to debut next year. Auto Express makes no mention of this, but we've seen the JCW prototypes already, and they are guaranteed to have AWD.

In the crossover segment, MINI will battle against the new Audi Q2. Derived from the MQB platform, the baby quatro car may even have two separate performance models, one of which will get the S3's 2.0 TFSI. It seems everybody is now building the same kind of car, as whispers in the wind talk about an M version of the BMW X1, also delivering 300 horsepower.

It's worth nothing that nobody wants to go anywhere near the berserk Mercedes-AMG GLA 45 that currently delivers 381 PS and could straddle the 400 mark by the end of this decade.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mini-clubman-and-countryman-jcw-could-have-300-hp-102130.html#

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hmmmmm.

Not only does 300hp 4wd clubby sound spot on for me, this also (if true) bodes VERY well for the JCW GP3.. 300-maybe 320hp in a stripped out hatch.

YUMMY! Come to papa!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow a pig that flys? What next....

The 2015 JCW hatch already gets close to 300 HP with a tune and being smaller will handle much better. The extra weight and AWD however may give this an edge on straight sections!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well I had been told by a good source a 6 cylinder would make an appearance in the Clubman mentioned in a couple of other threads I posted it, was surprised they told me that but hey why not it fits , but as Jelster 300bhp in the 3 door hatch without excessive front end weight that is would be fun, but the 6 cylinder is a heavy lump

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wow a pig that flys? What next....

The 2015 JCW hatch already gets close to 300 HP with a tune and being smaller will handle much better. The extra weight and AWD however may give this an edge on straight sections!
Wow! You really have a downer on the Clubman!!!

It would be relatively easy to get 350+ out of the JCW lump, after all, I had a "standard" 2.0l that developed 356bhp and 363 ft/lb with a similar twin scroll turbo. It's all down to emissions targets I'm afraid!
Modding isn't for me any more, been there, got the t-shirt. All it does is devalue your car and your bank account for "imperfect" improvements. Leave the R&D for companies with billions to spend...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow! You really have a downer on the Clubman!!!

It would be relatively easy to get 350+ out of the JCW lump, after all, I had a "standard" 2.0l that developed 356bhp and 363 ft/lb with a similar twin scroll turbo. It's all down to emissions targets I'm afraid!
Modding isn't for me any more, been there, got the t-shirt. All it does is devalue your car and your bank account for "imperfect" improvements. Leave the R&D for companies with billions to spend...
Agreed. You can definitely do too much modding and upset the overall performance of the car. - and your resale market is limited in a heavily modded vehicle - especially if you hope to recover some of your investments in upgrades. As I stated, the 300 bhp on a little FWD will probably not be as fast on the straightaways as an AWD. So The Clubman JCW could have the edge there. It indeed suggests the hatch JCW or GP will get some more beef in future releases (no surprises as that engine is likely under exploited specifically so that future releases are 15 bhp better every couple of years...most of which is just a software tweak)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gogobig, you're getting a tad boring now, you don't like the clubbie, we get it, nobody's forcing you to buy one ;).
I was told the jcw would only be awd at a recent event, although this 300bhp figure seems to be news.:D
LOL. I beg to disagree. As a passionate fan of the brand I have strong feelings against what seems to be diluting its appeal. I think Porsche Cayenne and Panamera are a complete dogs breakfast too. It isn't that the cars are not good but it is more a concern that these vehicles are so counter to the iconic image that they ruin the brand.

Look at Rolex Daytona for the past 35 years...that is iconic with plenty of tweaks but sticking to the brand

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ok...ok..ok! I admit that's pretty cool looking! Happy Hubert? :)

Somehow though, I just cannot see a JCW wagon flying down the road with a car full of kids, baby car seats, etc.!

Time will tell if that mix works. I suppose the guy who got married and had to sell his sports car will jump on selling the wife about the virtues of this 4 door station wagon!...hee hee hee!

Gonna be pricey though you can bet on that. So, we'll see if it meets the budget of folks who need that kinda room for a family grocery getter.

John

·
Registered
199 Posts
LOL. I beg to disagree. As a passionate fan of the brand I have strong feelings against what seems to be diluting its appeal. I think Porsche Cayenne and Panamera are a complete dogs breakfast too. It isn't that the cars are not good but it is more a concern that these vehicles are so counter to the iconic image that they ruin the brand.

Look at Rolex Daytona for the past 35 years...that is iconic with plenty of tweaks but sticking to the brand
While I understand your viewpoint from an idealist perspective, in reality it just doesn't pay the bills anymore. Porsche would be bankrupt if it weren't for the Cayman, Macan, and Panamera to fill up their coffers. As such, those sales afford the idealist fantasy stuff like the 918 Spyder and umpteen varieties of 911.

In MINI/BMW's case, they pride themselves on filling ever niche. High-volume models like the 4-door F55 MINI and Countryman sell in big enough numbers to afford quirky offerings like the now-defunct Coupe and Roadster, along with generation-ending GP models.

To hate the profit-making models is to hate business and capitalism, which honestly is another thread.

·
Registered
270 Posts
While I understand your viewpoint from an idealist perspective, in reality it just doesn't pay the bills anymore. Porsche would be bankrupt if it weren't for the Cayman, Macan, and Panamera to fill up their coffers. As such, those sales afford the idealist fantasy stuff like the 918 Spyder and umpteen varieties of 911.

In MINI/BMW's case, they pride themselves on filling ever niche. High-volume models like the 4-door F55 MINI and Countryman sell in big enough numbers to afford quirky offerings like the now-defunct Coupe and Roadster, along with generation-ending GP models.

To hate the profit-making models is to hate business and capitalism, which honestly is another thread.
Well Porsche owner may be bankrupt after the emissions scandal. Which Says a lot about "paying the bills" when VW cheats on emissions.

Perhaps "idealist perspective" is something VW should strive for if they want to remain a profitable business.

I believe company philosophy has become exclusively about chasing new business rather than sticking to core business and loyal customers. Employees have become disposable too as ever bigger corporations dominate the landscape with multiple brands fulfilling every niche.

Rolex proves that the idealist approach can also work and by continuing to profitably service 30+ year old watches they have proven to be loyal to their customer base and with plenty of profits to show for it.

It would be nice to see a resurgence in companies that stick to their core brands and who are loyal to employees and customers - a model which definitely can be as profitable as chasing the next big thing....>:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I doubt Porsche/VW will be bankrupt. Damaged, sure, but I winder when the US will inspect it's own products rather than targeting imports, but that's another story....
Incidentally, my Porsche dealer tells me that nearly 70% of its business comes from existing Porsche customers, the highest retention rate of any motor manufacturer. They know how to look after their customers. Warrenty fir example being a prime example. You can get a FULL Porsche warranty for your 911 for upto 10years at a flat fee (in the UK anyway) of less than £1000 per year....

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I think there is a place for a 300bhp 4WD estate the size of the Clubman. There is a Golf R estate, and a Focus ST estate, so the Clubbie could work, especially with Mini fans who have an expanding family.

I know the Clubbie is bigger, but have you seen the engine bay of af a JCW ? No - you can't as there is no space, wedging a 6 pot in there would be ludicrous, and it would need some development too, as it's not currently used in a transverse design. 300bhp from the existing 4 pot is conceivable, but you'd need to have that ZF 8 speed sport auto attached somehow, as the current gearbox wouldn't be able to handle the torque.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more around 275bhp, which the current auto box could handle, and it would drop into a new GP3 and a face lifted JCW, or even a JCW variant/limited edition.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With the current BMW engine line-up, and the fact that the UKL was only designed from the onset to have as big as the 4-cylinder engine, the best realistic power level would be the 258 HP in the new 730i, using the low-compression piston B48 engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.