Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this old Clubman Concept Video and I have to say it is sad that they did not take the concept car and put it into production. The whole car looks sleeker not so bloated and it does not stand as tall. Also the wheel gap is much better and I love the side mirrors really gives it a nice touch the rear looks much better without the extra lights in the bumper and the pipes in the middle. To me the concept car would have been the perfect Clubman in the looks and size dept. What I can not figure out is the size of the car is it a fullsize or scaled down model. Thoughts on the concept if you compare it to the real one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, mini actually wants to sell some of these cars, so the tiny, useless mirrors and center exit exhaust (no hitch if they did that) weren't going to make production. Again, in the rear world, a little wheel gap is actually a good thing. It gives a little room for the suspension to articulate as you drive over potholed roads. We are talking about a MINI... not a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Concept cars are pretty to look at but unfortunately are rarely practical for the real world as they are. Those wheels would have been expensive and traffic laws necessitated the change in tail light change and mirror changes. More art piece than functional car. What was nice about the Clubman concept was that the final design was actually pretty close to the concept. So many concepts get produced and the production model has only hints of the concept design.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-previews-larger-more-exclusive-mini-clubman
Here are pictures from the 2014 Auto Show. Although the size was about the same as the final F54, those super low profile tires and lower stance make it look bigger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm honestly kind of curious to see what they will do with the F56 LCI. Maybe then we can predict a few things for the clubman later on.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The differences in the concept car is in the detail not the design. I don't like the concept cars door mirrors, they're too fussy for me. Part of the Mini brands identity is about being retro and there's nothing wrong with using common parts such as the door handles and mirrors, they give the production car corporate brand identity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts