Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For last week’s inaugural “Buy This, Not That” column, we took a look at the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ, two nearly identical sports cars save for some minor styling and interior details. In the end, it was so close that we went with the Subaru based on, um, color. This week’s column won’t be as much of a toss-up. In fact, it might even raise a few eyebrows.

Like the FR-S and BRZ, the BMW 328 Sport Wagon and Mini Clubman S are related, but on the surface these two couldn’t be farther apart. The Bimmer is part of the 3 Series family, the gold standard by which all other premium sport sedans are judged, and it’s about as German as a Kraftwerk concert on Unity Day in Berlin. In contrast, the Clubman looks like it should come with a bust of Winston Churchill as a hood ornament — a modern ambassador for Alex Issigonis’s iconic space-saving design that gives car buyers plenty of style and substance while representing Old Blighty proudly.

read more here

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/mini-clubman-vs-bmw-328i-sports-wagon-buy-this-not-that.html/

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Fantastic article; i totally agree with the interior comments; plus it looks sOOOOOOO much nicer than the bmw dash-cohesive and rounded , while being imo quite artistic. Whereas the bmw just looks-well , a mess of trapezoids! Not what i want to look at from the drivers seat! Makes a good tow car too apprarently; if the dog wasnt so messy we'd swap our Dacia Duster for one and just have two cars again, but i dont think i could bear him shaking mud all over that lovely interior even if i did have seat covers! (and he sits on the front seat-i'm afraid-likes the view-wont do the boot!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cash buyer will always get a good discount at BMW

Never much on offer with mini for a new car

So makes no sense if the mini costs substantially more

·
Registered
386 Posts
As a long time BMW and MINI owner, I agree with the assessment. My current daily driver is a 2015 BMW X1. It is quick, handles well, is competent and comfortable. It is actually a much better car than the ratings suggest.

My problem with the car is that it is very good, very competent, but not very engaging. Great motor, great (really great) transmission, great suspension; however, not enough engagement. It will be turned in at the end of the lease with no regrets. The replacement will be a MINI JCW.

My wife's 2009 Clubman S is much more engaging and has far more personality. It is a long time keeper ... which means depreciation is a non-issue.

Bottom line ... the BMW is a great car but is lacking in soul. The Mini is an almost-great car, but has a lot of soul. Which one will you keep for a long time?

Does that mean I do not like BMW? No ... I'll keep my E39 M5 until I die. Personality .... you bet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.