Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
F60 Cooper S 2017
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read the numerous complaints about people trying to get the app connected, i thought i'd have a go on the wife's Mini Countryman (July 2017) which she purchased a few days ago.

Download iPhone app. Typed in VIN. All connected fine without having to even go to car however, i noticed there were a few things missing like the ability to lock doors etc. Only really wanted to be able to track car in case it was ever stolen.

Saw there was another app on app store. Downloaded it, wouldn't take my VIN.
Removed the other mini app suspecting a conflict. Now neither will accept VIN.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 09.38.18.jpeg
Called BMW as per app instructions only to be told my car was too old and it would not work unless connected to car with a lead. Told him that one app worked yesterday and he said it was impossible!!!

Anyway, after a lot of searching, here's how i got one app working with limited capabilities.

One app only works with cars from 03/2018 onwards. If your car is pre 03/2018, download the 'Mini Connected' app in the picture below. From 03/2018, you can use the 'Mini' app. (I assume it works but can't try)

IMG_4121.PNG

Plug phone (i used an iphone) into USB port in front of gearstick
Put car i-drive screen onto 'Mini Connected'
Set up an account on phone if you haven't done so already.

At this point, i was about to type VIN into app and i saw 3 new lines appear on mini screen.
Then my app moved to a new screen (without having to type VIN). I assume car sent VIN to iphone app.

3 lines disappeared from Mini iDrive screen and app showed my car as below
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 09.39.04.jpeg

Unplugged phone from car and it is now connected when indoors. No need to plug in.

As you can see, very limited capability through app but i hope this helps someone else.

In the meantime, i'll be e-mailing BMW to complain. The car clearly has the capability to be connected but BMW seemingly can't be bothered to provide a proper app.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many thanks for above, I am going to give this a go, as currently I get the below on the Mini App (same in connected app). Car is 2020

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just taken delivery of a 2016 Cooper SD today (F56) and I had the same experience (even down to the BMW customer services telephone conversation). Now that it works, I’ve realised that you can only view the information about fuel left et cetera from when the phone was last plugged into the car (as in, it isn’t live information which is really odd).
I part-exchanged a 2013 BMW for the F56 and the BMW connected app worked perfectly on that so it is odd that the MINI version is particularly useless.
What the BMW customer service agent said to me though is that BMW are working on a new site to correct these issues but that could just be a line they are telling digruntled new customers.

·
Registered
2017 Cooper S
32 Posts
Yep same here 2017 Cooper S with Media XL
Phone has to be physically connected with a cable to a USB port or a snap-in adaptor. It doesn’t refresh via Bluetooth which is a pain.
I've just ordered the wireless snap-in module so I’ll see if that changes anything, but I doubt it will

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s the wireless snap in thing? Would love to know...

Phone has to be physically connected with a cable to a USB port or a snap-in adaptor. It doesn’t refresh via Bluetooth which is a pain.
I've just ordered the wireless snap-in module so I’ll see if that changes anything, but I doubt it will

·
Registered
2019 F55 Cooper S Sport, Solaris Orange, DCT
37 Posts
I have a 2019 Cooper S. When I first got it (new) I set up the MINI Connected app and it all worked fine - I could see fuel level, odometer, remaining range and so forth but only from whenever the car was last connected to the phone (so no over-the-air updates). OK by me.

Now though, neither the MINI Connected nor MINI apps work. They accept my VIN and show me my car, but no operating details.

The whole MINI online experience is dreadful, as I found out today when I tried to access my MINI insurance policy online to face numerous login issues and finally no policy shown on my account.

My wife’s Volvo, on the other hand, is easy to connect to and interact with by mobile app. We use it as a remote external temperature probe to know how cold or warm it is outside before going out. Expensive remote weather station though.

·
Registered
2017 Cooper S
32 Posts
I fitted the oem wirelessly charger but Mini connect doesn’t work over Bluetooth, only with a hardwired connection

·
Registered
89 Posts
hello guys, i wanted to chip in and give some context here.

So i have a Coop 2020 and have been using the Connected app (the old one, the blue one for instance) since almost a year, although not perfect it DID WORK in realtime with the car, with instant updates.

Now, just recently i noticed that something wasn't right, they have released this new app recently (the coloured one) and i think they screwed things up.

Yesterday i tested the new app and on the whole has a nice UI but features are missing, for instance you cannot honk the horn? that was super handy when you are in a big garage and cannot remember where you parked!

so i put back the connected.

Then i noticed that something was off. you do not get anymore "APPS" when you connect the phone with the Connected App on, and in fact when you do launch the app - then the special screen screen does not appear anymore.

What is the special screen?

Well, when you'd have your connected app, the app paired with the car via bluetooth (no cable) and the app was "loaded" correctly, then the car would show a SPECIAL screen saying "please do not operate the app during driving, etc - as in a safety warning, which was also fair enough - now it does NOT happen anymore." if you are able to see the special screen then the realtime updates work.

For instance you would get the same reading as the Board computer with KM left available and realtime fuel reading, literally it would drop one km and immediately the app would update.

I REALLY LIKED THAT FEATURE, for the fuel level actually, because due to bloody C19 we have been driving a lot and i like seeing how many liters i have left when we do a big trip and i can decide when to fill the tank and how many liters, based on that reading that is pretty accurate.

now they screwed up something, the real time connection does not work anymore and as somebody said you need to get the reading once the car is switched off / doors locked. so on a big trip i would have to go hey wait let's go to parking spot, i need to get the reading of the fuel... and then go ahhh ahhh we have XXX liters left - cmon.

Please do complain with BMW because this feature WAS working and the only thing was that sometimes it would not connect and get the instant reading, you'd only have to disconnect and reconnect BT, sometimes 2-3 times but then it always worked.

[email protected] is the main one in Germany, i think.

thanks

·
Registered
2019 F55 Cooper S Sport, Solaris Orange, DCT
37 Posts
I have tried to contact them through various email addresses but no response. The whole thing is a pile of ....

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK it pissed me off and i managed to solve it - until it lasts.

You need to roll back to an older version of Connected App, i have installed now: 6.4.1.6349 from apk pure (tested for malware and stuff) and now i have back the special menu that links the car realtime to the app.

You first need to launch the app with the USB cable for some reason, and you get the "APP" section connected, then i tried without cable and also with only BT connection i get now: telephone, bluetooth audio and app. PERFECT:

Then when you launch the Connected app, you get the special working again. GOOD. as expected sometimes it doesn't work, just switch off BT 1-2 times, then is back.

Then since i was in fixing mode, i also fixed spotify, also to another older version, i saw some BMW people also complained that the spotify app was gone from Mini's, there you go, roll back to 8.5.66.1002 and you get back the spotify app in the mini - it lets you browse albums, fav songs as well as the little pictures for each song which is nice.

So, i am not going to upgrade and install latest versions of these apps for now, until they stop working.

If anybody needs the apps, drop me a DM.
Gabrio

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE = "bagbag, publicación: 846841, miembro: 65279"]
Está bien, me cabreó y me las arreglé para resolverlo, hasta que dure.

Necesita volver a una versión anterior de la aplicación conectada, he instalado ahora: 6.4.1.6349 de apk pure (probado para malware y demás) y ahora he vuelto al menú especial que vincula el automóvil en tiempo real a la aplicación.

Primero necesita iniciar la aplicación con el cable USB por alguna razón, y obtiene la sección "APLICACIÓN" conectada, luego lo intenté sin cable y también con solo la conexión BT que obtengo ahora: teléfono, audio bluetooth y aplicación. PERFECTO:

Luego, cuando inicia la aplicación Connected, vuelve a funcionar el especial. BIEN. como se esperaba, a veces no funciona, simplemente apague BT 1-2 veces, luego vuelve.

Luego, como estaba en modo de reparación, también arreglé Spotify, también a otra versión anterior, vi que algunas personas de BMW también se quejaron de que la aplicación Spotify había desaparecido de Mini, ahí lo tienes, retrocede a 8.5.66.1002 y obtienes el aplicación de Spotify en el mini: te permite buscar álbumes, canciones favoritas, así como las pequeñas imágenes de cada canción, lo cual es bueno.

Por lo tanto, no voy a actualizar e instalar las últimas versiones de estas aplicaciones por ahora, hasta que dejen de funcionar.

Si alguien necesita las aplicaciones, mándame un DM.
Gabrio
[/CITA]
Saludos necesito la version
8.5.66.1002 para mi mini cooper f56 2019. ¿pueden ayudarme?

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi, please drop me a DM with your email and i wlll send you the apps there uploaded somewhere as too large for email

·
Registered
95 Posts
I note the say they are deactivating the old app in June 30th, 2021, which really sucks as the new app doesn't support anything older than March 2018, so you've only got a couple of months.

There is a hint they are going to add support for older cars in future releases of the new app, we'll see.

They did this before. There used to be some really cool things for the R series cars, then they just abandoned them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. I am having the same issue you had. I have a 2016 JCW and can’t get the corresponding app for this year’s model. The old app has been taken down of the Apple App store and the dealership doesn’t know what I’m talking about.
Is there anything you can recommend to me based on your personal experience?
Best regards,
Gustavo

Having read the numerous complaints about people trying to get the app connected, i thought i'd have a go on the wife's Mini Countryman (July 2017) which she purchased a few days ago.

Download iPhone app. Typed in VIN. All connected fine without having to even go to car however, i noticed there were a few things missing like the ability to lock doors etc. Only really wanted to be able to track car in case it was ever stolen.

Saw there was another app on app store. Downloaded it, wouldn't take my VIN.
Removed the other mini app suspecting a conflict. Now neither will accept VIN.

View attachment 71391 View attachment 71391
Called BMW as per app instructions only to be told my car was too old and it would not work unless connected to car with a lead. Told him that one app worked yesterday and he said it was impossible!!!

Anyway, after a lot of searching, here's how i got one app working with limited capabilities.

One app only works with cars from 03/2018 onwards. If your car is pre 03/2018, download the 'Mini Connected' app in the picture below. From 03/2018, you can use the 'Mini' app. (I assume it works but can't try)

View attachment 71392 View attachment 71392

Plug phone (i used an iphone) into USB port in front of gearstick
Put car i-drive screen onto 'Mini Connected'
Set up an account on phone if you haven't done so already.

At this point, i was about to type VIN into app and i saw 3 new lines appear on mini screen.
Then my app moved to a new screen (without having to type VIN). I assume car sent VIN to iphone app.

3 lines disappeared from Mini iDrive screen and app showed my car as below
View attachment 71393 View attachment 71393

Unplugged phone from car and it is now connected when indoors. No need to plug in.

As you can see, very limited capability through app but i hope this helps someone else.

In the meantime, i'll be e-mailing BMW to complain. The car clearly has the capability to be connected but BMW seemingly can't be bothered to provide a proper app.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A new version of AndroidAutoIdrive has been released and seems great so far!
AndroidAutoIdrive on my ID5 system brings back Spotify full control (covers,search, playlists etc) and for first time i can receive all the notification with popups on my car display!

A new version needs to be released to support MyBMW, now that BMW Connected is shutting down this month! There's still a few minor bugs to fix, but here's a Release Candidate:

• MyBMW support, including a trick to help improve the Bluetooth connection reliability
  • Brand new tabbed phone interface, with more room to showcase each feature in its own tab
  • New Spotify interface for the car, providing global coverart in ID5, library browse support
, and catalog search support
  • Notification improvements, including text-to-speech and reply functionality, and bringing back statusbar and popup support for ID5
  • Car nav integration to trigger navigation from other phone apps or by pasting an address
  • Car Information display similar to the BMW Connected information display, especially helpful for cars that MyBMW doesn't support

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK it pissed me off and i managed to solve it - until it lasts.

You need to roll back to an older version of Connected App, i have installed now: 6.4.1.6349 from apk pure (tested for malware and stuff) and now i have back the special menu that links the car realtime to the app.

You first need to launch the app with the USB cable for some reason, and you get the "APP" section connected, then i tried without cable and also with only BT connection i get now: telephone, bluetooth audio and app. PERFECT:

Then when you launch the Connected app, you get the special working again. GOOD. as expected sometimes it doesn't work, just switch off BT 1-2 times, then is back.

Then since i was in fixing mode, i also fixed spotify, also to another older version, i saw some BMW people also complained that the spotify app was gone from Mini's, there you go, roll back to 8.5.66.1002 and you get back the spotify app in the mini - it lets you browse albums, fav songs as well as the little pictures for each song which is nice.

So, i am not going to upgrade and install latest versions of these apps for now, until they stop working.

If anybody needs the apps, drop me a DM.
Gabrio

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve read your post about the new mini app. I purchased a 2016 Cabriolet a few days ago. Ive downloaded the new app, but like all other older car users have been unable to enter the VIN. I‘d like to download the old app but see its no longer on the App Store. I have an iPhone X. Any ideas - I’d be most grateful !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts