Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've hooked up the Mini Connected App and all is working great; Calendar, Forcemeter and Sports Instruments and iPhone pre-installed supported apps such as TuneIn Radio and such...

However, question though...

My car hasn't got the built in sat-nav but I've noticed that the Streetwise app feature clearly displays a nice graphical map as I drive along. It looks like a limited sat-nav of sorts? I know what it does (journeys and such) but surely it could be a full blown sat-nav.

So, is there a sat-nav app (official or non official) which could be projected in the same way onto display driven by iPhone? Surely looks absolutely possible but probably disabled on purpose?

Hackers anyone? :) Google maps hack?

·
Registered
226 Posts
As far as I know that's what streetwise is...I'm pretty sure it uses data from your connected phone to make it work...

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as I know that's what streetwise is...I'm pretty sure it uses data from your connected phone to make it work..
I only tried streetwise a couple of times before deciding it was useless, so I might have misinterpreted, but I thought it just lets you record your route as you drive it, while showing your location on a map. You could drive a completely ridiculous circuitous route and it would happily record it.

If you're going to a place for which you don't have a prerecorded route, it doesn't provide any guidance.

So it's really nothing like a GPS that adds intelligence and guidance - it just lets you record and replay a route you've figured out on your own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep unfortunately that's right. Streetwise ain't that wise at all. I can't believe we can't pump a satnav app (like Sygic or TomTom) directly onto our screens.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you using the new Connected app or the Classic? I just downloaded the new Connected and it appears to let you search for a destination and send it to your car.... no idea what that means. Will go test drive when I'm home.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you using the new Connected app or the Classic? I just downloaded the new Connected and it appears to let you search for a destination and send it to your car.... no idea what that means. Will go test drive when I'm home.
No luck. It lets you look up an address on your phone, and send it to your MINI, but if you don't have nav your MINI can't do anything useful with it. It's still pretty pointless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smartphone NAV onto Visual Boost?

Just bough new mini with Visual Boost but not NAV. Tried the android app - nothing. Bought an iPhone 6 - got the new Mini Connected App. Checked mini software - up to date. OK - so now I can connect via USB and Bluetooth but what I want to do is get my navigation on the screen.

So - my question is:
I can load my route in the app. This will load onto the mini. When I press 'Navigate' - nothing happens. Should it? I'd really like this to work!! It just seem madness that it is not possible to use the power of the smartphone with the screen in the mini.

At the moment I have overcome the problem with blu-tac - I use it to stick iPhone over the the top of the mini screen and just use the iPhone stand alone for navigation - clearly ridiculous.

Any advice would be very welcome - mini connected driving me mad - is there anything useful it can actually do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If we were able to use on-screen navigation through our smartphones, why would anyone bother opting for the very expensive satnav? To me it seems obvious that MINI doesnt want us to use our smartphones for navigation on the screen in the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry if this is slightly OT, but we have Media XL and are a little disappointed that it doesn't have RTTI traffic flow (red / amber / green coloured roads) like the BMW navigation on which it is based. Is there another option above Media XL which adds that?

Can the connected app send a destination to a car with Media XL, just like the BMW equivalent? I assume not as I think BMW use a data SIM built in to the car, which I imagine our MINI doesn't have. It clearly has a SIM of some kind with its emergency call feature, but perhaps it's phone only and not data.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry if this is slightly OT, but we have Media XL and are a little disappointed that it doesn't have RTTI traffic flow (red / amber / green coloured roads) like the BMW navigation on which it is based. Is there another option above Media XL which adds that?

Can the connected app send a destination to a car with Media XL, just like the BMW equivalent? I assume not as I think BMW use a data SIM built in to the car, which I imagine our MINI doesn't have. It clearly has a SIM of some kind with its emergency call feature, but perhaps it's phone only and not data.
Not sure why yours doesnt have traffic conditions but mine by defaults shows me the color coded traffic condition when in the navigation section. When an iphone is used, the traffic is even more accurate in the traffic info list section as well, admitidly doesnt work well with android though, very sore spot for me as I cant seem to ever really move away from apple apparently.

As far as send a trip from my connected app to the car hasnt been an issue at all. Simply set up on the app on my phone, connect in the car and it uploads, then choos3 when i want to start it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

While the MINI nav system is not quite as sophisticated as the BMWs (since it does not have internet connection, as you mentioned, though you don't have to pay for Connected services), there is a way to kind of get what you'd like.

For the traffic flow colors, from the map, tilt the iDrive knob left to pull up the side menu and scroll down to the traffic icon, select it and turn on Traffic flow map. You will now see slower traffic indicated more clearly with yellow and red lines. Keep in mind, RTTI in the MINIs is not like Advanced RTTI on BMWs, but I find in Seattle at least it seems to do a good enough job.

You can send addresses from your phone to the nav system via the new MINI Connected app though it doesn't work wirelessly on the current headunits. You can look up an address on your iPhone, use the share function to send it to the MINI Connected app and the next time you plug it into the car and launch the app, you'll be able to see a list of the shared addresses with an option to send it to the nav. The upcoming touchscreen nav units will work the same, minus the plugging in part.

Reactions: BMWfan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts