Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Going to get my new mini soon and have read that the mini connected isn't fully functional in Australia. I was wondering whether there is a hack that could be used to get it working?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, If you could please send me any information on MINI Connected as well, it would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
And another one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys - I had a chat with someone at Mini this morning. He had recently been to a conference where the subject of Connect came up. Apparently the Mini sales people were complaining about the fact the BMW has Connect working and Mini Connect is still not working here. He was told that BMW have updated their modems to support 4G which is why BMW Connect works and has been approved. WIth Mini the modem is 2G which is why it has not been approved. It seems that Mini will not be updated for another 18/24 months. The other thing to note is that Telstra will be switching off 2/2.5G shortly and they are the only ones currently offering 2/2.5G.

I wonder whether this is true?
If so and presuming the Telstra switch off is true, it it actually worth paying a pretty high cost to hack the system? (What do you get with Mini Connect that we don't get here?)

As an aside I also talked to him about the snap on adapter phone holder that fits in the armrest. The only benefit is *possibly* improved reception due to connection to the outside aerial and provides access to TWO microphones in the car, as opposed to just one microphone not using the adapter. He advises against buying it - I think it costs around $350.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this, especially from those who have some techie knowledge and/or have already hacked their system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cumon guys- there must be someone out there who knows about these things...how about those who have already hacked their system. Does the connect work properly? Any issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Singapore, the local transport authority is not ok with it as it may cause distraction. But I need the info nevertheless, will contact twadds :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats twadds! What features are now activated?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats twadds! What features are now activated?
Apps such as spotify and Audible work with connected interface which is much nicer whilst driving, you also get the XL Journeymate, Forcemeter, streetwise, calendar plus others. Once you open TuneIn radio app it also then feeds into the connected interface, but you have to manually do this each time to get it to appear, just do it at the start of your journey if you like listening to internet radio.

Because the mini connected app gets activated in Australia you do miss some functionality such as Online search, Facebook, twitter, Driving excitement, minimalism, mission control and news.

If there is a way to trick the app into thinking that you activate it in the UK or US, short of taking your phone over there then this may be possible to enable those other apps. I briefly tried using a VPN but this didn't help, I will try doing some more research on this aspect.

I like spotify and audible so it was worth it for me for the user friendly interface

·
Registered
100 Posts
Because the mini connected app gets activated in Australia you do miss some functionality such as Online search, Facebook, twitter, Driving excitement, minimalism, mission control and news.
Sorry this is available, I was confused.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i am looking to enable Mini connected in Melbourne? Could someone help?
I don't know anyone in Melbourne (or Sydney) for that matter, but from WarpedDriveServices is on the other side of the world and can remotely connect to your car (via local laptop running the software and connected via OBD-II) and get it done.

Cost for installation of new software (eg Mini Connected apps) and tweaking vehicle setup (eg removing disclaimers etc) is ~USD300

He's easy to deal with and my most recent dealing with him was to update my Australian maps to the latest version (about 1/4 the cost of the local Mini dealer).

DJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry this is available, I was confused.
I've also enabled mini connected with warpeddriveservices and he was excellent.
I'm not able to get online search happening though. Have you managed to get this working? I'd really like to do things like send locations to my car from my iphone but can't find a way to do it yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've also enabled mini connected with warpeddriveservices and he was excellent.
I'm not able to get online search happening though. Have you managed to get this working? I'd really like to do things like send locations to my car from my iphone but can't find a way to do it yet.
I couldn't get this to work in Australia.

I think there would be a work around however. Apparently the app registers the country where it was installed and also where it is at that current moment when it is opened. It then enables the features appropriate (and legal) to those regions. If you can spoof your location - this is possible I believe with a jailbroken iPhone and the correct app, you can google for this (most likely with android too). I have not jailbroken my phone for many years so have not tried this.

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 31 Posts