Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/terry tibbs!

As above, ordered our f55 mcs with visual boost and connected. What does thus mean? Wife uses an iPhone and I use an android oneplus one.

Yes/no?

1) Bluetooth audio?
2) bt audio controls via headunit?
3) album artwork?
4) screen mirroring via either android or airplay?
5) anything else interesting or disappointing?

Ta!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
/terry tibbs!

As above, ordered our f55 mcs with visual boost and connected. What does thus mean? Wife uses an iPhone and I use an android oneplus one.

Yes/no?

1) Bluetooth audio?
2) bt audio controls via headunit?
3) album artwork?
4) screen mirroring via either android or airplay?
5) anything else interesting or disappointing?

Ta!
1) Bluetooth audio? It is available with Visual Boost, but it is a separate option to check and not all dealers select it when ordering....check your spec sheet! 6NE is the option code. 6ND is the standard Bluetooth without Audio - just phone calls.
2) bt audio controls via headunit? Assuming you do have BT Audio: Yes!
3) album artwork? via BT: hit or miss...via USB: Yes!
4) screen mirroring via either android or airplay? No
5) anything else interesting or disappointing? I love MINI Connected on my MINI, though I am a gadget nerd...

·
Registered
234 Posts
1) Bluetooth audio? It is available with Visual Boost, but it is a separate option to check and not all dealers select it when ordering....check your spec sheet! 6NE is the option code. 6ND is the standard Bluetooth without Audio - just phone calls.
It's called "Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio"
5) I love MINI Connected on my MINI, though I am a gadget nerd...
What exactly is MINI Connected and MINI Connected XL? I have them but have no idea what they are.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It's called "Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio"

What exactly is MINI Connected and MINI Connected XL? I have them but have no idea what they are.
Sounds like you have BT Audio then if you have "Enhanced Bluetooth" - plug your VIN into here though to be sure: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Are you referring to the MINI Connected apps or the radios? When I say I love MINI Connected, I meant the Visual Boost radio, sorry....they call it (or used to call it) MINI Connected here in the U.S.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like you have BT Audio then if you have "Enhanced Bluetooth" - plug your VIN into here though to be sure: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Are you referring to the MINI Connected apps or the radios? When I say I love MINI Connected, I meant the Visual Boost radio, sorry....they call it (or used to call it) MINI Connected here in the U.S.
Well, both, really, I have the app, and from what I can tell it's a companion app to allow you to see the status of the car and use certain apps, like social media, whilst driving. Surely it's more than that for it to be an optional extra?

It's called MINI Connected here too, and I think if you add Visual Boost, you have to add MINI Connected too. There's also a MINI Connected XL, which comes as part of the Media XL pack. I really don't know what the difference between MINI Connected XL and standard MINI Connected is. Oh and what do you get extra with the Navigation XL? I know 3D Maps in some towns, and split screen, but is that it?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well, both, really, I have the app, and from what I can tell it's a companion app to allow you to see the status of the car and use certain apps, like social media, whilst driving. Surely it's more than that for it to be an optional extra?

It's called MINI Connected here too, and I think if you add Visual Boost, you have to add MINI Connected too. There's also a MINI Connected XL, which comes as part of the Media XL pack. I really don't know what the difference between MINI Connected XL and standard MINI Connected is. Oh and what do you get extra with the Navigation XL? I know 3D Maps in some towns, and split screen, but is that it?
The MINI Connected APP is mostly useless - it has some fun stuff you can play with like Dynamic Music, but I've only used it once or twice. If you don't have the Driving Excitement option, the MINI Connected app has the HP/Torque meters too. The 3rd party app integration is nicer - It's cool using Pandora or Spotify from the MINI screen rather than fumbling with your phone.

The differences between the Visual Boost/MINI Connected screen and the Nav Professional/Connected XL screen are:
- Bigger 8.8" screen
- You can split screen it - example: Nav on one side, the normal menu on the other
- Navigation is standard on the XL and yes, you get 3D maps
- XL gets you the built in 20GB hard drive for storing music
- Video file support: You can playback .MKV, .MP4, .AVI, etc movie files from a thumb drive or the built in hard drive. (while stopped, of course)
- The headunit itself uses a faster processor, but I haven't seen any big speed increases moving around the menu

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I see it even with the visual boost option I'm not going to get Bluetooth audio without paying for a further £600 option... That seems a bit tight for a premium brand where the model was launched in 2014! Hey ho, I'll stick with the USB lead then!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The MINI Connected APP is mostly useless - it has some fun stuff you can play with like Dynamic Music, but I've only used it once or twice. If you don't have the Driving Excitement option, the MINI Connected app has the HP/Torque meters too. The 3rd party app integration is nicer - It's cool using Pandora or Spotify from the MINI screen rather than fumbling with your phone.

The differences between the Visual Boost/MINI Connected screen and the Nav Professional/Connected XL screen are:
- Bigger 8.8" screen
- You can split screen it - example: Nav on one side, the normal menu on the other
- Navigation is standard on the XL and yes, you get 3D maps
- XL gets you the built in 20GB hard drive for storing music
- Video file support: You can playback .MKV, .MP4, .AVI, etc movie files from a thumb drive or the built in hard drive. (while stopped, of course)
- The headunit itself uses a faster processor, but I haven't seen any big speed increases moving around the menu
Thank you for the clarification. Is there no way to watch videos whilst on the move? The Mrs would love to watch a movie on some of the longer drives.

They really need to shout more about the built in HDD, because this is an awesome extra. I didn't even know about it until ordering. And it was said like a passing remark. Not shouted about like some other features.

Awesome to hear that some third party apps have compatibility, is there a list anywhere of what apps are compatible, do you know?

As I see it even with the visual boost option I'm not going to get Bluetooth audio without paying for a further £600 option... That seems a bit tight for a premium brand where the model was launched in 2014! Hey ho, I'll stick with the USB lead then!
In the UK, you get Bluetooth as standard, but I know some features aren't available without paying for Enhanced Bluetooth. Some of which are "office" features like reading and replying to SMS messages and checking calendar appointments. I don't know the full extent but here's a snip from the UK configurator.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. Is there no way to watch videos whilst on the move? The Mrs would love to watch a movie on some of the longer drives.

It's possible, but you would have to code it in using ESYS, which if you're pretty computer savvy, will let you do other cool things to your MINI.

They really need to shout more about the built in HDD, because this is an awesome extra. I didn't even know about it until ordering. And it was said like a passing remark. Not shouted about like some other features.

Seems like some sales people don't even know it's there... 20GB isn't a huge amount of storage, but it's plenty for most.

Awesome to hear that some third party apps have compatibility, is there a list anywhere of what apps are compatible, do you know?

Not that I can find, but they include: Pandora, Spotify, Aupeo, MOG, GoPro, Amazon Music, Stitcher, Deezer, TuneIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare.

In the UK, you get Bluetooth as standard, but I know some features aren't available without paying for Enhanced Bluetooth. Some of which are "office" features like reading and replying to SMS messages and checking calendar appointments. I don't know the full extent but here's a snip from the UK configurator.

Yeah, same here, but BT audio is part of that too...I don't know why they don't make that more clear. I think people would be more interested in streaming their music from their devices wirelessly than reading their emails from an expensive snap-in adapter...

Reactions: radiocaf

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's possible, but you would have to code it in using ESYS, which if you're pretty computer savvy, will let you do other cool things to your MINI.

I have no idea what that is, but am intrigued as this is something I would like to do. I would ask for more info but how many questions does it take before someone sends you a link to Let Me Google That For You? Haha.

Seems like some sales people don't even know it's there... 20GB isn't a huge amount of storage, but it's plenty for most.

Definitely more than enough for me, I have an 8Gb iPod Nano that isn't even half full because by the time I discover some more music I like, I'm also wanting to delete older music I'm now sick of.

Not that I can find, but they include: Pandora, Spotify, Aupeo, MOG, GoPro, Amazon Music, Stitcher, Deezer, TuneIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare.

Thank you for the list. I only knew about the GoPro one back when it was first announced. I look forward to trying as many apps as possible!

Yeah, same here, but BT audio is part of that too...I don't know why they don't make that more clear. I think people would be more interested in streaming their music from their devices wirelessly than reading their emails from an expensive snap-in adapter...

You have to buy the snap-in adapter for the Office features? That's annoying, partly because MINI aren't releasing the adapters for newer phones, I think the latest iPhone one is the iPhone 5 adapter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Siriuszero said the most important bit first. I.e. Mini connected app is mostly useless.
I went for the full all singing all dancing, and even changed my phone to an iPhone due to the hype of the sales people (I ordered mine way back before they were released)
Honestly wished I hadn't bothered. The built in SatNav is less useful than a TomTom, which for a tenth of the price shows both speed limits and routes. You need the driving assistant in the Mini to have this, and by all accounts this system is less than infallible, shall we say. And at a hefty additional cost.
The 20gb internal drive is not a must have. You can get usb thumb drives with 3 times as much storage for about £30, which have the same functionality. As far as I know all the cars come with USB connectivity.
also, iTunes playlists aren't supported by the system, so there isn't really any advantage.

if you decide to spend the money make sure that you get a full in car demo, from someone who knows the cars well, so you can judge for yourself whether the money is well spent.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
ESYS is a beast in and of itself. You have to get a special cable (only $20 USD) then track down the software, then you have to know how to code it. There are many tutorials and guides that make it easier, but it's not for the faint of heart.

If you want to take the red pill, check these threads for more info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631884
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f56-hatch-talk-2014/279326-mini-coding-programming.html

You do not need the snap in adapter for office functions - the only extra functionality you get with the snap in adapter is boosted antenna signal. I was making a joke that the snap in adapter is what they're advertising instead of BT audio, which more people would care about. *ba-dum-PISH*

Reactions: radiocaf

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Siriuszero said the most important bit first. I.e. Mini connected app is mostly useless.
I went for the full all singing all dancing, and even changed my phone to an iPhone due to the hype of the sales people (I ordered mine way back before they were released)
Honestly wished I hadn't bothered. The built in SatNav is less useful than a TomTom, which for a tenth of the price shows both speed limits and routes. You need the driving assistant in the Mini to have this, and by all accounts this system is less than infallible, shall we say. And at a hefty additional cost.
The 20gb internal drive is not a must have. You can get usb thumb drives with 3 times as much storage for about £30, which have the same functionality. As far as I know all the cars come with USB connectivity.
also, iTunes playlists aren't supported by the system, so there isn't really any advantage.

if you decide to spend the money make sure that you get a full in car demo, from someone who knows the cars well, so you can judge for yourself whether the money is well spent.
I wouldn't say the 20gb HD is a must have either, but it is nice to not have a thumb drive sticking out of your USB port all the time or to have to plug it in and take it out all the time.

I think MINI and other people focus too much on the MINI Connected aspect of the equipment and not enough on the other things the Visual Boost and XL headunits do.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
out of interest, what does the visual boost do that the basic system doesn't?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the snap in connector in my arm rest in my F56 MCS (£39 off Ebay for the full 308 one for my 4S).

I can get everything in Mini Connected using the usb connector that I can get using the snap in connector

That includes texts, emails, facebook and Twitter so you don't need the snap in connector. It's only handy to keep your phone out of view and charging plus it uses the roof aerial to give a better phone signal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
out of interest, what does the visual boost do that the basic system doesn't?
Has a 6.6" Colour Screen, which allows for video playback and navigation (if added), I'm not sure what else? I know the basic is just the 32 line orange on black screen, if I'm not wrong?

I have the snap in connector in my arm rest in my F56 MCS (£39 off Ebay for the full 308 one for my 4S).

I can get everything in Mini Connected using the usb connector that I can get using the snap in connector

That includes texts, emails, facebook and Twitter so you don't need the snap in connector. It's only handy to keep your phone out of view and charging plus it uses the roof aerial to give a better phone signal.
It'll be nice to have, but like (I think) I said earlier, MINI are not churning them out as quick as they need to be. With the 5 being the latest iPhone they support for the adapters. My Z3 will be a long way off yet, then.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Has a 6.6" Colour Screen, which allows for video playback and navigation (if added), I'm not sure what else? I know the basic is just the 32 line orange on black screen, if I'm not wrong?
No video playback on Visual Boost - You need XL, the 8.8" screen for that.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I think the vis boost gives two extra speakers in the rear sides of the f56.not 100% on this though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the vis boost gives two extra speakers in the rear sides of the f56.not 100% on this though.
I don't believe that is true. I know when you get a Cooper S, you get two more speakers for the ASD.

- Cooper, standard stereo - 4 speakers: 2 midrange, 2 woofers under seats
- Cooper S, standard stereo - 6 speakers: adds 2 more midrange speakers in the rear

- Cooper/Cooper S, Harmon/Kardon - 12 speakers: adds tweeters to front and rear speakers and a midrange+tweeter in the center dash.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't believe that is true. I know when you get a Cooper S, you get two more speakers for the ASD.

- Cooper, standard stereo - 4 speakers: 2 midrange, 2 woofers under seats
- Cooper S, standard stereo - 6 speakers: adds 2 more midrange speakers in the rear

- Cooper/Cooper S, Harmon/Kardon - 12 speakers: adds tweeters to front and rear speakers and a midrange+tweeter in the center dash.
What about F55 Standard? Do you know?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts