Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post and I'm looking for advice or information from anyone who has had a similar problem...

I bought my 2 door Mini Cooper hatchback at the end of November 2014 and within the first year it needed a new clutch and a modification to the fuel pump. The latter was part of a campaign. Then this week a warning light came on about driving stabilisation so mini took the car in. They did their tests and said my car was part of another campaign with something to do with the engine on certain cars from that production so needs a new engine! My car has done 22000 miles.

I am not happy at all although the service I have revieved from mini has been excellent! I have asked about extended warranties only to be told this is something they won't do. Howeve, they are looking into it!

Just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience or ideas on what I should do?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
This is the first I have heard regarding the 1.5 engine, there was a recall on quite a few of the MCS 2.0 engines and I think that was an actual engine replacement. There are quite a few threads about it if you do a search on this site and the NAM site as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh I've read some of those posts and wondered if there was any on the Cooper 1.5? The reason the warning light came on from what I can gather wasn't due to the engine campaign but because it had gone in they had found it was part of this campaign! :tired_face:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's intriguing as like @KYDan said, I've never heard it happen to a Cooper before. The gearbox is very common, my F56 Cooper D needed to have that done - so I chose the Auto in my SD to remove the risk.

If you're super unhappy about it then you can go the whole hog and reject the car, I can certainly give you some advice on how to do that as I did it with my Cooper D - but at the same time if you love your car, look at it in the way that you're getting a brand new engine when you've already done 22,000 miles in it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have heard of at least one, perhaps two 1.5l Coopers needing new engines, so it is not only the S models that are affected.

I presume it is due to the same problem ie either the wrong type of crankshaft thrust bearings being fitted in manufacture, or a faulty design in the first place where the bearings are not up to it and wear out too quickly.

Lets hope they have got their act together now.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Pipes, welcome to the forum. I too have a 1.5 built in 2015 like Dan said very very few had a problem and had there engine replaced. They way I look at it your are happy with your Dealer/Mini let them stick a new engine in and enjoy your car. Mine is running like a Swiss clock had just some small stuff fixed( hatch rattled trim piece replaced) Mini is standing behind there product you are happy with the dealer that is hard to find these days. Look at like this you got 22 000 free miles.;) I would buy another Mini in a heart beat just because of the excellent service I get from my dealer and I love the car. Btw mine also has 22k on the clock. Keep us in the loop and post some pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.