Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, wanted to introduce myself. We've just ordered a new Mini Cooper 3 with Chilli (+XL Media, Park Assist) stripes and roof. We collect the car next week.

We were offered an absolutely superb end of month deal (on 29th Sept!) on a lovely car but that needed to be bought before the end of September to qualify. In the rush/haze of this deal we missed the one really important extra we'd have picked for a factory order and that is heated seats. My wife is always cold and spends six months of the UK winter freezing in her current car, often with back cramps, so this is an essential for her.

The car has the Chilli pack fitted and comes with the half-leather sports seats. I've read elsewhere that some MINI seats come pre-fitted with the heating elements and an under-seat plug that can be simply connected into the loom with official MINI connection cable. Anyone know if this is possible? Or, does anyone have any experience of retro fitting factory heated seats to the car?

We're in the North West England btw.

Thanks.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello Jujitsoup, I'm really hoping that you found a solution to the problem you posed.
I need to find a way to heat the seats in my wife's Cooper Coupe
It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks, Peter (from an even cooler North East of England �� )

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Hi Guys, wanted to introduce myself. We've just ordered a new Mini Cooper 3 with Chilli (+XL Media, Park Assist) stripes and roof. We collect the car next week.

We were offered an absolutely superb end of month deal (on 29th Sept!) on a lovely car but that needed to be bought before the end of September to qualify. In the rush/haze of this deal we missed the one really important extra we'd have picked for a factory order and that is heated seats. My wife is always cold and spends six months of the UK winter freezing in her current car, often with back cramps, so this is an essential for her.

The car has the Chilli pack fitted and comes with the half-leather sports seats. I've read elsewhere that some MINI seats come pre-fitted with the heating elements and an under-seat plug that can be simply connected into the loom with official MINI connection cable. Anyone know if this is possible? Or, does anyone have any experience of retro fitting factory heated seats to the car?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it's problematic trying to retrofit features to these cars. Many people have made posts asking if various things like LED lights, head units, backup sensors, etc. can be fitted in after the car is built and the answer almost always turns out to be no-- The problem is the wiring loom, which is custom built for every car based on the selected options. If you didn't spec it before production started, none of the infrastructure to support whatever it is you want to retrofit will be present in the car. Adding something like heated seats may be impossible (or not cheaply possible, to be more accurate) because there are no wires for power, no terminals or fuses, and no control circuitry.

That said, I think this is the first time someone has asked about heated seats. Those might be an exception and the default wiring loom may include heated seat support. When you get your car please check back and let us know if you find out that all it takes is to connect two connectors and add a switch.

Good luck

· Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it's problematic trying to retrofit features to these cars. Many people have made posts asking if various things like LED lights, head units, backup sensors, etc. can be fitted in after the car is built and the answer almost always turns out to be no-- The problem is the wiring loom, which is custom built for every car based on the selected options. If you didn't spec it before production started, none of the infrastructure to support whatever it is you want to retrofit will be present in the car. Adding something like heated seats may be impossible (or not cheaply possible, to be more accurate) because there are no wires for power, no terminals or fuses, and no control circuitry.

That said, I think this is the first time someone has asked about heated seats. Those might be an exception and the default wiring loom may include heated seat support. When you get your car please check back and let us know if you find out that all it takes is to connect two connectors and add a switch.

Good luck

Uke, that's very interesting and useful and gives me some hope and encouragement.
I will let you all know if I find that I can get it to work, if we buy the car.
I hope we hear from Jujitsoup too.
Thanks again for your interest and encouragement.

Swinmin

· Registered
181 Posts
Hello Jujitsoup, I'm really hoping that you found a solution to the problem you posed.
I need to find a way to heat the seats in my wife's Cooper Coupe
It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks, Peter (from an even cooler North East of England �� )

http://m.cartronics.co.uk/Mini

These guys can probably do it. They can fit almost anything. But it's costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
181 Posts

We're in the North West England btw.

Thanks.

Speak to these guys. They may be able to help. But it's pricey.

· Registered
79 Posts

Speak to these guys. They may be able to help. But it's pricey.

They wanted 2.5k to fit factory reversing camera!!! I mean come on. That is taking the pi$$. Even if the factory wiring loom doesn't exist to make one up would joy be that problematic as long as you can find a diagram etc.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

· Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, emailed Cartronkcs a bit back about getting my Heated seats to work in my R55 Clubman. Wanted 4hours labour just to look at it before they could even suggest a price to do the job.
Mad4Mini in Leeds figures it out for me.
I know we’re talking newer Mini’s but I bet the architecture of the way the units all plug into each other will be similar.
Yes, we found to our own shock that my Main Loom didn’t have the wife’s for heated seats. The good news is the JBE (where everything plugs into - Fuse/relay Board) had the appropriate internals to deal with it, so we just made the 4 wire loom from information on PIWIS, and installed the hardware needed to operate (the switch panel in mine), and tada!!!!
I’d guess, if you look at wiring diagrams for yours, you’ll see a similar architecture, so it’s just a case of buying the switchgear, and if the seats have the elements already in, a pretty simple fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.