Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only drive autos now as my left leg doesn't work fully but I've yet to see a positive review of the 2014 mini automatic. Can anyone help please?

·
Registered
53 Posts
@davewave, what sort of help are you looking for? I loved the auto on the MCD but then I am not a speed demon. I found it smooth and it does the job. If you're looking for responsiveness and speed then I'm not the person to comment.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Wait until next year. There is going to be a new 9 speed auto on the MINI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sillyman, thanks for the input. It's good to know that the Mini autos can be good.

My experience of autos is that I had a BMW 330D with an 8 speed auto which was faultless but I changed job role and I work from home now so it became a bit pointless. I now have a Golf 6 GT DSG which is very good and pretty smooth but aging. Most testers seem to have a downer on the VW DSG box but I think it's really good. As testers also seem to have a downer on Mini autos I'm thinking that it's probably as good as the DSG but would like to hear some experience from users.

Hi Washy, thanks for your input too but I want a car now and I while I saw those rumours I wonder why they would bother in a small, light car that already has a high torque engine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yup you might as well wait for that automatic transmission mentioned, at least with that you should have a good amount of fun!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Motoring file have been complimentary about the revised six-speed auto. It won't be as good as next year's 8/9-speed box, but it is supposed to be a big improvement on the existing auto transmission. I haven't driven any of them however.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Cooper Auto

I've had mine a week ('cos of a dodgy knee). It's fantastic! It has a manual-type option which is fun, and the 'sports-mode' is breath-taking! I love it! And my other vehicle is a motorbike, so that's saying something...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll definitely be going for the auto option too. When I do a test drive I will let you know what I think :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had an F56 auto S for 'the day' on Sunday.

Wife & I are currently driving an Alfa TCT and a Nissan Micra auto interchangeably. I've driven DSG / Stronic & BMW 1 series 8 speed 1 series stuff previously too.

Driving Modes adjust the throttle response as you'd expect. The car 'adapts' to your driving style also. As with any auto, you can confuse it into not quite being in the right ratio but just flick the the lever over to the left and you have Sport / Manual mode so you're then in control. Paddles on the JCW wheel were handy but not essential on a Cooper.

Now watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5O4oQ17fQ

While the BMW jobby is very smooth with a diesel (drove a 118d Sport and a 218d M sport), if not careful, it either wants to rip your head off in Sport and chokes in Economy.

So, long story short, it's as good as any auto on the market & we've ordered a Cooper Auto.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I've read somewhere that the automatic Mini has a "launch mode" where it will accelerate the car at its quickest performance.

Similar to what was on the BMW M series a while ago.

It requires a precise sequence involving the DSC switch to get it in that mode. Then you fully press the gas pedal and when you release the brake, the car launches.

If you're looking for fun with an automatic transmission, that might do it ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all :)

I have a question, is it the same steptronic Box in the ordinary Cooper vs Cooper S?

I have only seen videos of the Cooper S With auto, not seen any of the normal Coop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called my BMW/MINI dealer, and they did say the new mini use an all new BMW drive with the steptronic box. Previous year they used PSA. And he did also say it is noticable quicker at changing gear. I need to find the time to testdrive one :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mistake, dealer never said it had steptronic. But it was an upgraded version of the old one pared with new drive and engine from BMW (previously PSA). Same engine and drive that you will see in the new bimmer 1 series coming later this year. He also said the manual had been updated to be better and lighter weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But you did test the normal Mini cooper with the automatic Dave?
How would you compare it to DSG forexample?
I heard that on the normal cooper, when you put it in sportsmode since you dont have padles, you have to use the stick to change gear up/down.

What happens if you do break down fast from high speed while in sportsmode, will it downshift automaticly for you?

-Im sorry, im really not a car tech guy :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tested a cooper auto and thought it was so good so I ordered one. My Golf GT DSG has paddles and my F30 330D did too but after the novelty wears off (about 2 weeks) I hardly ever used them as the auto in Sport mode does a much better job.

In all the autos I've had if you forget to change up or down and the engine is either screaming it's head off or about to stall the box goes back into auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there -

I have had my new 2014 Mini C ooper auto for 2 weeks now and it is fantastic. I was actually going to post a question in the forum but I mas as well do it here (if it's the wrong area, apologies in advance). I've noticed a slight fluttering noise when you accelerate, sort of like a very, very, quick flapping sound with the engine. I was curious if this was normal (as it is a new engine), has anyone else experienced this or should it be completely smoothe and noise free?

All the best and thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts