Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

New to this forum. I ordered my new MINI in back in April. I have an R56 at the moment.

My dealer has just told me my car has been built :) but that it was built in Germany rather than Oxford (I'm based in the UK). I didn't realise that MINIs were built anywhere other than the UK and Holland at the moment so am slightly confused.

Do you know if this is right? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
F56s come from Britain or Holland. Countrymen and Pacemen come from Austria. I suspect the dealer has got their European countries mixed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F56s come from Britain or Holland. Countrymen and Pacemen come from Austria. I suspect the dealer has got their European countries mixed up.
Thanks! This is just what I thought unfortunately my dealer definitely said it was waiting shipment in Germany even when I queried it. I wonder now if they are shipping me someone else's rejected order :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Call MINI directly and ask them. I find them to be very helpful and usually very up to date on what is where :D.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! This is just what I thought unfortunately my dealer definitely said it was waiting shipment in Germany even when I queried it. I wonder now if they are shipping me someone else's rejected order :(
If this really is te case, it might be a QC stop-over?

I know that for some models VW ships the cars to Germany for quality control before shiping them to the end customer. This was the procedure couple of years back when I was waiting for my Beetle. Car was build in VW's plant in Mexico, shipped (apparently via US) to Germany (after having another pitstop at Netherlands) for quality control and assurance before shipped to the final destination. (The cars destined for the US market of course did not take the trip to Germany) Could BMW be doing something similar with Mini?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If this really is te case, it might be a QC stop-over?

I know that for some models VW ships the cars to Germany for quality control before shiping them to the end customer. This was the procedure couple of years back when I was waiting for my Beetle. Car was build in VW's plant in Mexico, shipped (apparently via US) to Germany (after having another pitstop at Netherlands) for quality control and assurance before shipped to the final destination. (The cars destined for the US market of course did not take the trip to Germany) Could BMW be doing something similar with Mini?
They do not, preliminary QC is done at the factory and some is done at the VDC where your ship arrives in your country's port.

If your MINI was built in Born, it's possible it may go to Bremerhaven to ship out - I don't know the path Born-built MINIs take to port. What is the 11th digit of your VIN? This will tell you where your MINI was manufactured.

T or 2 is Oxford
3 is Born

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mini VIN = WMW = BMW Germany which is where the confusion lies
I have no idea where mine was built. It's a 2A (WMWXM520502A6*****)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mini VIN = WMW = BMW Germany which is where the confusion lies
I have no idea where mine was built. It's a 2A (WMWXM520502A6*****)
If the last 7 of your VIN starts with a 2, then it's Oxford.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all

I spoke to MINI UK this morning and they've told me the car was built in Regensberg. I guess they know what they are talking about so there must be a small production line there.

Looks like I have another 2 week wait now for it to be shipped back to the UK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Regensburg doesn't build MINI... Oxford, Netherlands and Austria do.

Austria: R60/R61: Countryman/Paceman
Netherlands: F56
Oxford: F55, F56, R57.

Factory is shown by a number or letter at the last 7 digits of the VIN: 3xxxxxx, Txxxxxx, 2xxxxxx. The 3 is Holland, 2 and T are Oxford. WMW is the WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) and WMW stands for MINI (don't believe me? Google is your friend is this one)

If MINI UK is saying Germany, I guess even the people at the factories don't know or MINI UK saying something that isn't right at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm.... They are building the 2-series active tourer, which shares the platform with Mini... Funny coincidence...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Curiouser and Curiouser

Born is directly on the German border so while a trip though Bremerhaven is not out of the question it would be a long detour compared with the more direct routes through Antwerp or Rotterdam.

Regensburg builds a lot of BMWs and manufactures parts for a lot more that have final assembly in other BMW factories. But it doesn't list the 2 series active tourer as one of them - that is (theoretically) all done in Besuchen.

That said...the facility at Regensburg is enormous and touts it's ability as a contract manufacturer of automobiles and automotive products. They certainly could build them there if demand for the new F56/F55 is exceeding capacity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
According to https://www.bmw-besuchen.com/en/index.html, active tourer is being manufactured in Regensberg.... Might it be that they misheared part of the VIN? I would suspect that it would be quite an investment to ramp up the production to a new site just to solve some temporary manufacturing capasity issues. Everything is of course possible...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regensburg builds a lot of BMWs and manufactures parts for a lot more that have final assembly in other BMW factories. But it doesn't list the 2 series active tourer as one of them - that is (theoretically) all done in Besuchen.
According to https://www.bmw-besuchen.com/en/index.html, active tourer is being manufactured in Regensberg....
What a dummkopf I am! (And of course you are right).

I looked up Regensburg and found...
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_b...erk/produktionsstandorte/werk_regensburg.html
...which makes no mention of the active tourer.

I then looked up 'active tourer' and found a post that gave Besuchen as the site of production and showed a www.bmw-besuchen.com webpage.

'Besuchen' isn't a town...it means VISIT!

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
83 Posts
:)

But the mystery still remains.... Could it really be that Minis are (currently) manufactured in Regensburg? Could it be a QC visit? Could it be that the cc misheard the VIN for something pointing to Regensburg? Or is some significant pre-assembly done there and then the car is shipped to UK/Netherlands for final touches/assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all

Hi all, I think I've been able to clear up the mystery...

I have the VIN now (rather than just the order number) and it indicates a Holland build however (and I think this is where confusion has arisen with my dealer and MINI UK) it seems to have been shipped via Germany (Bremerhaven near Hamburg I think).

The dates certainly support this as it was build mid-April and only went to sea at the end of last week.

So, the wait goes on.... my dealer says another couple of weeks (as I think it has to go to Thorne first).

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Holland plant doesn't decide on the transport routes. BMW does it all. Bremerhaven is used a lot by BMW...

Concerning the 2 series Active Tourer and shared platform: BMW has developed a new platform with is used by a lot of models. It differs in size for different models and each model has individual parts on it as well. Regensburg COULD build MINI, but it would take a lot of work in the shops to get the MINI to fit on the production line.

QC is done at the plants and the plants produce their own parts or get som subassemblies from suppliers. The complete car (from bodyshop, to paint, to assembly) is build at the plant the VIN shows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.