Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, engine check light came on randomly and stays on. Put supermarket diesel yesterday, Sainsbury's. Could that be a reason? Car is running just fine and has about 60,000 miles, did a service about 3,000 miles ago. Fuel consumption is good, so engine running clean. No other messages in the car.

Is there a way to reset it? Or will it just stay on until I get a diagnostics check done.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Did the light come on after you filled up?
Check that the filler cap is tight, if it didn’t click that can make the check engine light come on.

Hi guys, engine check light came on randomly and stays on. Put supermarket diesel yesterday, Sainsbury's. Could that be a reason? Car is running just fine and has about 60,000 miles, did a service about 3,000 miles ago. Fuel consumption is good, so engine running clean. No other messages in the car.

Is there a way to reset it? Or will it just stay on until I get a diagnostics check done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Light disappeared on its own, I personally think it’s because of the very heavy rain I drive in yesterday all day; Water must have gotten into a Sensor somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did your mechanic figure it out?
I haven't bothered going lol, the engine is running fine and so is the fuel economy, I have a service in about 10,000 miles so with my driving that is about 6 months away. Will just get it checked then and update you guys.

If i notice any deterioration in power or anything like that, will get it checked straight away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so finally got round to it!

3 Codes came up:

P4071 Engine Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P006D Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

He checked the Air flow sensor and said it looked loose so tightened it up properly and reset the codes and we went for a test drive for a while with engine on and off a few times and it did not come back up.

So, so far so good, and he said it it comes back on we can always replace the sensor.

Either way he said it's not really a big deal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so finally got round to it!

3 Codes came up:

P4071 Engine Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P006D Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

He checked the Air flow sensor and said it looked loose so tightened it up properly and reset the codes and we went for a test drive for a while with engine on and off a few times and it did not come back up.

So, so far so good, and he said it it comes back on we can always replace the sensor.

Either way he said it's not really a big deal.
And the light is back on again! Back to the drawing board, need to find a way to deal with those codes! Anyway at least I know it is not a serious issue. Will update on progress, and please anyone do let me know if you think you know if you have seen this in the past.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey mate,
I have basically the same error codes, came on in February and yet to get it sorted,
One weekend I'm going to attempt what is discussed in this thread - seems promising?

If you give it a go before me - let me know how you get on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey mate,
I have basically the same error codes, came on in February and yet to get it sorted,
One weekend I'm going to attempt what is discussed in this thread - seems promising?

If you give it a go before me - let me know how you get on?
I did check my exhaust, it's all black with soot so it could be this. It went off after I washed the car for some weird reason and then came back on again!

Still haven't sorted out the light, my next MOT is in Feb, but will get the car serviced before then. Let me know if you get yours fixed!

At least good to know it's not a serious problem, although I am sure the MINI Dealer will try to charge me a crazy amount so would like to avoid that if at all possible!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a long 5 hour drive at high speed last week and the light has been off the past few days. Will keep everyone updated as to progress

1 - 13 of 13 Posts