Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm trying to install a bov on my mini 1.5 Turbo. The only problem is I just can't locate the place of the bov. The turbo is pretty deep in the engine. Does anyone know how I could locate the place of the blow off valve?

here is an illustration of the engine:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, the dump valve will be somewhere inbetween the charger and the inlet manifold, before the charge cooler normally. I don't see one there...

Why do you want one? Is your turbo stalling?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can look all you want but these engines do not have a diverter valve or blow off valve. They use the wastegate to regulate pressure.

Blow-off valve
A blow-off valve is not used in current models. Pressure peaks, caused by sudden load shedding due to the inertia of the turbine of the exhaust turbocharger, can be avoided by careful tuning of the Digital Motor Electronics software. With foresighted charging pressure control, pressure peaks can be predicted and reduced by quick adjustment of the electrically-adjustable wastegate valve. Assisted by a delayed load control of the Valvetronic (in the minimum lift direction) or the throttle valve (in the closed direction), the remaining charge air which is produced can be routed to the exhaust emission system via the engine. This form of control thus prevents the exhaust turbocharger shaft from being exposed to excessive torsional stress due to high pressure peaks.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Sounds like a little too much trouble and expense for a noisemaker, since it seems to serve no purpose mechanically. I had a Forge diverter/BOV installed on my R56 MCS and liked it a lot, but it served a purpose in that instance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No trouble to install it, taking an hour max. I know it serves no purpose but a lot of people ask the question and I just wanted to answer it. And prove it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have more info on the BOV for F56? I want to install it on mine. Are you selling the kit? Or can you tell me where to get the parts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
good to know, i have the 2014 f56 2.0 turbo. so the car does not have a blow off or waste gate to apply an aftermarket one? not familiar with the bmw engine modding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts