Mini Cooper Forum banner

Mini cooper hardtops recalled to replace wrong tire placards

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jeremybingham 
#1 ·
Oh boy, here we go again........

MINI COOPER HARDTOPS RECALLED TO REPLACE WRONG TIRE PLACARDS

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/mini-cooper-hardtops-recalled-tire-placards.shtml

February 5, 2015 — The 2014-2015 MINI Cooper Hardtop two door is recalled again, this time for tire placards that contain incorrect information about the maximum weight capacity.

MINI says over 13,100 of the cars have the wrong stickers that indicate a tire pressure that is too low, meaning it would be easy to overload the cars.

In November 2014, MINI engineers took a look at the chassis dynamics in the 2014-2015 MINI Cooper Hardtop two door. Engineers realized the weight capacity and gross vehicle weight rating were wrong. In December 2014, MINI engineers found the incorrect tire placards had been used on over 13,000 MINI Coopers.

Owners of the 2014-2015 MINI Cooper Hardtop two doors should watch for recall notices sometime around March 13, 2015. MINI will replace the wrong labels with corrected labels.

Owners of the recalled cars can contact MINI at 866-825-1525.

Just a month ago MINI recalled the 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door because of crash protection problems. In December 2014, MINI recalled the MINI Cooper Hardtop to fix transmission problems, then another recall was needed to fix seat problems.

See less See more
#6 ·
When i rang a dealer to find out what the pressures should be ( as all of the manuals, printed and in the car memory, tell you to refer to the sticker) they told me 2.2 bar or 32psi all round. I knew this to be wrong so when i checked with another dealer who sensibly took a picture of the sticker from a showroom car and sent it to me, the correct values are 2.7/ 39psi front and 2.5/35 at the rear.

#7 ·
I have mine inflated to the 'correct' values ...ie what's written on the door.....I've always thought the MINI feels quite twitchy at these pressures, maybe they are overinflated then.....interested to see what they should be for the MCS.

#12 ·
#13 ·
In all do respect to your comment, the link you provided does not specify the details of that recall, it only reads to "investigate a potential regulatory compliance issue,” ....this posting by me again explains why their is a new recall. It doesn't mention or source back to my previous earlier posting. I am not sure if the two recalls are even the same, I take them a different. I could be wrong.

#14 ·
I only meant that your other thread and this thread refer to the same issue which is that the labels for GVWR are incorrect on the car and on the tires. I actually talk about it on the other thread in post #2 . This can be verified by calling any MINI dealer in the US as they are also not allowed to sell any of the affected models until the new labels come in.

I don't think MINI has released any details of the recall to customers yet as I believe they are still working out the details between owners of the affected models and the dealer who will have to fix the labels for them.

#18 ·
Looks like MINI has the recall procedure in place as of today.

Owners will be notified if they are affected by the recall and will contact dealer to verify. Service will then order the replacement labels and owners will be again be notified when they arrive. Dealers have to order the parts since they are specific to each car. They'll remove the old labels and affix the new ones to the B-pillar. Once the labels come in, it's a quick fix.

I'm assuming dealer stock and cars that haven't been delivered yet have labels coming soon.

Text copied from another forum, posted by a dealer employee:

Recall Campaign 15V-034: Replace Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Label and Tire Label on Left B-Pillar
MODEL
F56 (Cooper Hardtop 2-door)
SITUATION
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) displayed on the VIN label, which is affixed to the vehicle’s
left B-pillar, is too low.
The vehicle capacity weight value displayed on the tire label, which is affixed to the vehicle’s left Bpillar,
is too low.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Recall Campaign involves F56 Cooper 2-door Hardtop vehicles produced from December 1, 2013 to December 12, 2014.
Customers will be notified by a MINI Recall letter as soon as the replacement labels have arrived.
First check if a Recall Campaign label with a code number 77 is already attached to the B-pillar.
If a code number 77 has been punched out, the Recall Campaign has already been performed and no further action is necessary.
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or with the Key Reader.

CORRECTION
The maximum vehicle load (on the tire label) and gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR, on the VIN label) have been increased.
Note: The photo shows the location of the changed specifications, and does not indicate the correct values.

PROCEDURE
Inform the customer during the initial visit that the information for the new labels must be taken directly from his or her vehicle, and that he or she will be notified when the new labels have arrived.
Place the parts order as specified in the parts information below. Order labels for specific customers’ vehicles after you have confirmed that they are coming into your center for this update.
When the vehicle returns for the correct label installation:
Compare the new label versus the old label to verify that the VINs match and the GVWR is different (has increased) before the old label is removed!
Remove the tire pressure label (upper arrow) and the VIN label (lower arrow) from the driver’s B-pillar.
 Carefully use a heat gun to soften the adhesive backing on each label.
 Remove the label with a plastic wedge.
Remove all adhesive residue from the B-pillar with an appropriate cleaner (brake cleaner, rubbing alcohol).
Apply the new labels at the same position and with the same orientation as the original label.
 Press firmly on the entire surface and all edges for maximum adhesion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.