Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited to be picking up a Mini Cooper S Works 210 tomorrow, and just looking at insurance, I'm not sure what I should/shouldn't be declaring.

Does the additional power and JCW Pro exhaust count as modifications to the car? It is registered as a Cooper S 210, so in my head it was sold with that kit, so it isn't a modification. Speaking with the salesman that sold me the vehicle, he explained that the warning on the bluetooth remote was relating to insurance, and that insurance companies may not cover me if I have the exhaust valve open.

I brielfy tried to explain it to someone on the phone, who just told me "if they're modifications, you'll have to declare them". Not massively helpful...

What experiences have people had insuring these?

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
I'm getting quotes on my renewal for my Works 210 (try the comparison sites), when i enter the reg it shows as a Cooper S 210 which indicates the remap and exhaust is declared to DVLA and therefor insurance know it's done so no need to explain more.
I did mention mine has black grill and light surrounds fitted which didn't make a difference to price

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it’s a factory build with 210 listed on the V5 then it’s not modified.
What does it say on Askmid?
Had a look on Askmid and it's listed as a "MINI COOPER S WORKS 210 (189)". That should mean I'm all good then?

I'm getting quotes on my renewal for my Works 210 (try the comparison sites), when i enter the reg it shows as a Cooper S 210 which indicates the remap and exhaust is declared to DVLA and therefor insurance know it's done so no need to explain more.
I did mention mine has black grill and light surrounds fitted which didn't make a difference to price
That's the impression I got calling my current insurers, having just updated the car details on my current policy. They said that if it was an option on the car that was fitted by the manufacturer, then that's fine. This was with Admiral.

Thanks for the advice! Loving the car, and not having to worry about the exhaust usage is a relief!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had my black roof resprayed red by the dealer as soon as it arrived from the factory. However, the car was sold to me like that and I picked it up like that so that is not a modification. There's probably a grey area the more severe your mods get, but then again most dealers wouldn't do anything that severe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.