Mini Cooper Forum banner

Mini Cooper S 300HP Build - Is it possible?

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Robby Vrs 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

A little bit of context, I hate the Seat Cupra, ugly car, doesn't handle near as well as the Mini, and it's ugly (Had to put it in there twice). Nevertheless, its got a way beefier engine than that of our 4 banger F56S, which let's be honest, that 100 HP difference is a bit much.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to close the power gap between the two on stock internals? I know these cars are not meant for drag racing but I'm in Mexico so, no track days like you guys in Europe or the States, only completely legal street drag racing scene over here. I can only come up with the usual suspects: Bigger IC and downpipe, a tune, coilovers, maybe replacing some rubber in the engine bay and tires to keep that power down.

Anyone on this forum ever hit close to 300 WHP on stock internals? Cheers.

#3 ·
The JCW has different internals, etc so can handle more power than the S which is why they can be mapped to over 300bhp safely
Most tuning companies restrict the S the around 270bhp and 400lb/ft as this is deemed safe for the engine power wise and above 400lb/ft will be hard on the clutch meaning a replacement is recommended.
A Reeve performance are popular for tuning Minis and this is their limit (unless you tell them to max out), some other companies such as Dervtec offer higher figures but some Mini owners have complained on the facebook pages about engine and clutch problems.

It's not all about figures when it comes to performance, you can get your car remapped so it's faster than a Cupra, doesn't have to be 300bhp either

If you do want big power then you'll need to forge the engine, fit intercooler, de-cat (or sports cat), upgrade filter, clutch, you'll then want to upgrade brakes and suspension to cope - the list goes on.
At the end of the day it depends on how deep your pockets are or how reliable you want the car to be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.