Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

MINI, together with its parent company BMW, is a master of creating more niches and sub-classes. The MINI Cooper 5-door is a perfect example, an answer to a question nobody seemingly asked. It looks quite awkward too, and begs the question: how do you differentiate and segregate between this and the Clubman?

https://motioncars.inquirer.net/49641/mini-cooper-s-5-door-practical-just-fun

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love my 3 banger F55 in volcanic orange. The four doors have practical advantages, if only for loading stuff. In a narrow garage, the doors are easier to open. The rear doors look a lot shorter than the Clubman plus the Clubman has a square tail end with the two doors. I've driven around some with the (shorter)nwindow open, and if you open a rear open, you don't get buffeted.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If they had offered it in full JCW trim, I would have definitely gone for the F55. For little extra cost, it delivers a lot of added practicality.

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
But the f54 just looks and feels sooo much more ..... Elegant! Love them all though!

Reactions: mikeswagon

·
Registered
677 Posts
The F55 is a great car, drove mine for 40,000 miles and never had a problem.
I didnt expect to like the F55 but our test drive was in an F55 Cooper S and i thought the five door variant looked well / worked well. If i'd needed a five door i'd have no qualms about going for one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too wish they made this in the JCW trim however I own a 2016 and love it. Most fun car I've ever owned. (Ive had a Z4, Z3, RX-7, MGB and a Fiat 850 Spyder) Will most likely trade it in for a 2019. They look great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have F55 with JCW Pro and am going to go F56 next time.

- 5 door is 60-65kg heavier than 3 door ('every gram counts')
- Window frame rubbers on the doors look ugly to me on my car

Windows are all glass to the edge on F56, although this means more fingerprints if you hold the doors like I do lol.

You can kinda see the matte rubber squares in the OP photo.

I've moved house now, so... going 3 door. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts