Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is changed/checked when a full service is carried out on your Cooper S? Has anyone done this by themselves before?

My car is four and a half years old and done 20k miles. The car has been serviced by the previous owner but never by Mini. I have been quoted £579 for a full service by my local Mini dealer.

I am not a mechanic but I do work in engineering and I technically minded so I am confident I could carry out a service without any issues. I would be replacing any parts using proper OEM materials. I just want to make sure I cover every aspect of what would be done in a full service. Does anyone know what is checked/replaced in a full service or know where I can get my hands on this information?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
It is very easy-spark plugs, oil and oil filter, air filter possibly brake fluid pollen filter-and that's it-they might glance at the brakes for thickness. The car is also plugged into the computer -scope-to make sure there are no upgrades or errors so that is the only thing you'd struggle is-really easy job. If you're not bothered re main dealer SH or warranty it's a no brainer. For the money you save you can do extras-eg every 4 years or so change the gearbox oil and the coolant! Which they say are for life, but most definitely are not.

Reactions: pilotwoo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jeremy. I think I would be able to handle that no problem. I am planning on keeping the car as a commuter for the long term so when it gets to moving it on in the distant future main dealer SH will make next to no difference to the resale value as the car will be relatively old by then.

I would be looking at fitting uprated spark plugs from the OEM ones and as boy racer as it sounds I would likely fit a "performance panel filter". The brake pads and sensors were all replaced a year ago and the car has done 6k miles since then and 80% of them have been on the motorway. The air con was also recharged and the oil filter was replaced and oil changed by the garage before I bought the car a year ago.

I would just keep the receipts of everything I have done as a kind of SH for any future owner of the car.

I would still like to get my hands on a Mini service manual so I know I am not missing anything obvious.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
I'd agree imaginative. I can guarantee that is all mini do. You can do far better as above. Brake fluid gear oil coolant and more regular oil changes for far far less. Fuel filter is the only other thing that comes to mind but no idea where that is. Mini don't change it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The coolant doesn't look too fun to change. I wish the radiator had a drain plug vs. pulling off a hose. Mine will be due for a coolant change next year and since it's still under CPO warranty i'll just let the dealer do it to cover my butt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes took ours to dealer. They didn't want me to waste my money so had to reason with them.
I'm sure my dealer will claim it's lifetime coolant and not needed, but are they going to buy me a new cooling system when the coolant goes south and stops protecting?

I guess I could vacuum it all out of the tank, run it for a week after filling and keep doing this for a few weeks until I feel good about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts