Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from Biz News by Nick Hodgson.

There are very few cars that I’m genuinely unhappy to give back. Most are fine, nothing spectacular and will disappear to be forever filed under “Mediocre”. Every now and then though, something truly sticks out, makes you sit up and pay attention. The new Mini Cooper S is one such car and wowed me in two major areas. Before we get into that though, a quick word on stigmas. It seems once a car has gained a certain reputation, nothing else matters and for some reason it’s more often than not, the fun cars that pick them up. My own personal feeling is this is created from good old fashioned jealousy, particularly from those who have to now consider their 2.6 offspring, whose automotive fun has been curtailed and replaced with a practical diesel box. Either way, if you’ve read this far, chances are whatever prejudices exist around the Mini Cooper S or the Mini Cooper in general, you’ve managed to get past them and find out what this car is all about.

201405-P90151973-zoom-origFirstly, driving characteristics. I’m a rear-wheel drive man. Always have, always will be. They’re just more fun, more involving and better balanced. Mostly. The Mini Cooper S really does transcend all the typical front-wheel drive problems and worm its way into your heart as something truly magnificent to drive. OK, I’ll admit it’s not as fast as something like a Golf GTI, but that just doesn’t matter when you’re grinning like a possessed idiot next to captain sensible. Everything about this little pocket rocket just works. Driving position, steering wheel size, gear shift, feel, turbo punch and grip are all sublime, combining into an experience that’s difficult to match. One word of warning though. If you like your spine, rather configure the sport setting for a more comfortable ride as shattered bones are less than ideal on the daily race to work.

201405-P90151722-zoom-origThe second “wow” factor then. Price. Man is this thing expensive! Yeah you can get a base one for around R380k, but that’s hardly cheap as chips to start with. The new Mini has always been about customisation and this one is no exception, coming at a mind boggling cost though. I’m not going to bother to list all the optional extras ours came attached with as no one has the time or patience to read through it all, but needless to say the gargantuan list brought this tiny hot hatch neatly over the R500k mark. You’d have to have some serious screws loose to spend that kind of money, even if this car is marketed as a premium super mini.

So at the end of all this, the new Mini Cooper S is a rather confusing machine. Crazy expensive it may be, but on the other hand it’s such an amazing drive and so much fun that some may even think the price tag is worth it. And you know what. I wouldn’t blame them.

Price: R381 000
Engine: 1998cc four cylinder turbo charged petrol
Power (kW): 141
Torque (Nm): 280
Acceleration (0-100km/h): 6.9
Top speed (km/h): 232
Consumption (l/100km): 5.9 (claimed)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I certainly don't want to say that the price of the Mini is cheap, but when I saw that a similarly equipped Subaru Forester XT was running in the mid $30's and the Jeep Renegade and the Mazda 3s right at $30K that I considered, I didn't experience the sticker shock that I thought I would. And those vehicles' interiors don't hold a candle to my Mini's.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Word. When I bought my current truck, it was pretty reasonably priced. But when I saw how much a new version would cost (after I changed my pants) the Mini loooked like a bargain... even configured with more toys than Honda ever dreamed of putting in the thing. Of course, my cargo capacity has somewhat diminished...

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tiger, maybe we will see the Mini Bus down the Road for them pesty Home Depo Trips.

or you could get the Truck Extension Kit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
LMAO ohhh maaan that is... catastrophically ugly. I half expect Lego people to be in there. The pickup is weirdly reminiscent of the Subaru Brat, tho

·
Registered
998 Posts
i can remember the new mini first arriving & it being the first 'premium' small car, meaning that finally buying small didn't have to mean buying cheap. The problem now is that people still perceive it as a small car & expect it to fit into it's niche and be cheap.

The reality is that size-wise it's more of a medium than a small & priced accordingly. How many times do you hear 'how much? i could buy a BMW series 1 or a golf for that!' yeah, so what? there's lots you could buy for the same price, & it's got most of those attributes plus some.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think a lot of the 'price problem' is because people price up a Mini with all the extras they would like and then compare that to the base price of a bigger car. Stick all the same extras on the price of the bigger car and there's another shock....

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree it is real easy to get carried away with the Mini Option List and than have Sticker Shock :(. Every person that orders/buys a Mini has different wants/needs and it can get pricey real fast. I on the other Hand wanted my Mini as plain as possible and love it that Way. :):)

Sure the S would have been nice but honestly how many Times a Week can you really put the Pedal to the Metal with all the Traffic Cameras Rush Hour Traffic etc etc. :(

·
Registered
505 Posts
That depends entirely on your commute... and thankfully, mine has some choices. I can have 45mph to 60 and twisty (assuming you don't get behind granny going over the mountain), or 70 and mostly straight... not a camera within 100 miles or more. I also have the advantage of tending to be going the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic or am coming or going during non peak times. Cant wait to hit Monte Sano in sport mode with clear road in front of me for the first time bwaaaahahaaa

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm kind of amused at the "crazy expensive" line. One of the multitude of reasons I decided to shift over to a Mini instead of buying another Prius is that an F55 kitted out how I wanted it was considerably less expensive than a new Prius would've been. I just paid off my 2010, and having the drop in payment with the Mini is quite nice.

You know, along with it being more fun to drive and having all the cool tech. :)

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tiger my commute looks like this every Day.:(

How ever we got some nice back Roads towards Northern AZ. I take them once in a while at 3 AM and have a Blast. >:D>:D You just have to watch out for them Critters like Coyotes Rattle Snacks Deer Cows Wild Horses and Aliens.:D

Maybe I need to Mod my Mini with some extra Gooies for that 3 Am Drive.;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure the S would have been nice but honestly how many Times a Week can you really put the Pedal to the Metal with all the Traffic Cameras Rush Hour Traffic etc etc. :(
As many times as possible?:laugh: Honestly I live for a clear on-ramp, so that the petal and the metal (and the sport setting) can all be happy.

Oost

·
Registered
98 Posts
As many times as possible?:laugh: Honestly I live for a clear on-ramp, so that the petal and the metal (and the sport setting) can all be happy.

Oost
Personally I'm much happier with an empty off ramp. Especially one with a nice tight curve to it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts