Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

MINI has introduced its all new Cooper SD, its most powerful diesel model. This new vehicle uses the 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that delivers 125 kW/170 hp as well as a maximum torque of 360 Nm. The MINI Cooper SD is able to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds while using the manual transmission and in just 7.2 seconds when using the optionally available 6-speed Steptronic transmission.

Fuel consumption remains pretty low at 4.0 to 4.1 liters per 100 milometers in each case, with CO2 emissions of 106 to 110 grams per kilometer. In the UK, the all-new Cooper SD will be priced from £19,450.

·
Registered
734 Posts
"Fuel consumption remains pretty low at 4.0 to 4.1 liters per 100 milometers"

A new hybrid unit of distance?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Two months too late for me! When I ordered I was told there was no imminent release of an SD expected. It's what I would have ordered. I test drove a R56 SD, it was brilliant but everything being in the wrong place in the cabin put me off. Hence why I never bought a cheap Roadster SD, Paceman, Coupe etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is great news, the SD finally has the power and torque it deserves.

It will be good to know how well the front wheels will cope with the torque - the F56 combats torque steer much better than the R56, but being FWD it's still easy to overcome tyre grip.

Mating the SD to the forthcoming ZF transmission would be interesting.....

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't know whether I would have chosen it... more performance but with more economy, but more cost as well.

It says available to order from July... but who knows when they will actually arrive :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mating the SD to the forthcoming ZF transmission would be interesting.....
Yes. I have the current SD and am thinking of going back to a justa Cooper for the F56 as I find the SD frequently dropping off the bottom of its power band, even when driving (ahem) enthusiastically. An auto would then be able to do the necessary downchanges, mid-corner or whatever, but adding an auto cost to the SD cost is making me doubt whether it's worth it for fuel saving.

Both the S and Cooper F56s hit peak torque at just 1250rpm (after some monumental turbo lag, no doubt) so they should be really flexible engines, which the old naturally-aspirated Cooper wasn't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad they aren't bringing it to NA. I would heavily consider it if it was. I think its hard to argue with its specs. Seems like a great machine to me.

I feel like MINI has come out with a new model of some kind every week for the past two months. Does anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes. I have the current SD and am thinking of going back to a justa Cooper for the F56 as I find the SD frequently dropping off the bottom of its power band, even when driving (ahem) enthusiastically. An auto would then be able to do the necessary downchanges, mid-corner or whatever, but adding an auto cost to the SD cost is making me doubt whether it's worth it for fuel saving.
Both the S and Cooper F56s hit peak torque at just 1250rpm (after some monumental turbo lag, no doubt) so they should be really flexible engines, which the old naturally-aspirated Cooper wasn't.
Yes and that's what I've felt with every diesel I've driven - torque can be fantastic but it can feel like you're changing gear all the time just to access the torque.... That's why I'd put a performance diesel with quick changing auto so that as you say the car can worry about it for you.
Interesting my F56 MCS doesn't produce max torque from 1,250rpm, it's still building boost at that point which is backed up with what the driving excitement gauges report. 1,500 to 1,600 is more realistic, but then my older R56 MCS was the same. Maybe turbos don't like me :-(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts