Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved MINIs since my dad came home in one after work in 1972 but I've never owned one till now.
I really like almost all of our car and have only the minorest of gripes.
I think the SE designers failed with 2 things.
1. Ride height - treat us like adults and let us decide how we traverse speed bumps - I get that the battery is right under there but it would look sooo much better if it was 30mm lower.
2. The rear apron looks awful - I submit my evidence below of how they should have done it.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle White Automotive lighting

Discuss.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've always loved MINIs since my dad came home in one after work in 1972 but I've never owned one till now.
I really like almost all of our car and have only the minorest of gripes.
I think the SE designers failed with 2 things.
1. Ride height - treat us like adults and let us decide how we traverse speed bumps - I get that the battery is right under there but it would look sooo much better if it was 30mm lower.
2. The rear apron looks awful - I submit my evidence below of how they should have done it.

View attachment 78675

Discuss.
I guess styling is also personal choice. The Leaf styling works with the rest of the car. Putting it on a Mini wouldn’t work in my opinion… and would no longer look like the Mini retro styling

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. Agree on the ride height. Thankfully they make lowering springs and coilovers.
2. Disagree, would not look right with the rest of the car. The back end carries a more "business" look to it which blends with the overall profile of the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess styling is also personal choice. The Leaf styling works with the rest of the car. Putting it on a Mini wouldn’t work in my opinion… and would no longer look like the Mini retro styling
To each thier own for sure. I just feel that the price we pay here in Oz is a premium one but those couple of things let it down.
For sure I could pay to lower it (my wife won't let me) but the rear valance feels cheap and there is no easy way to fix it. It looks like the designers grandad dropped in to see him and did the rear design 🤭
The leaf one looks good on the leaf wasn't suggesting it would look good on the SE but if nissan can do a sporty looking one on the leaf then MINI could have too.
Here's my better idea that wouldn't have cost them any more to make could increase range (aero and all that) and might even reduce the dust pickup on the rear as well. I might start a crowd funding page to get an aftermarket one made 🤔 anyone got a free wind tunnel I can use?

Automotive lighting Water Wood Window Flooring

At least it looks awesome from every other angle, I just need to get the missus to back into the garage 😃

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
I actually like the increased ride height; looks great imo -not too high, and the ride is night and day compared to the petrol versions; one reason why we moved to the Clubman was the better ride/handling compromise for UK roads.It's rough here in rural Lincs. I know the ride is improved by the weight of the car and tyres but my f56 was on 17 non runflats like this SE but it's night and day. Far superior for our cart tracks.

Reactions: Red Mini

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
311 Posts
I get the point about the rear apron (or valance) but wonder whether or not this is about fashion. Many sports models have been given the rear apron treatment in recent times. For me the modern Mini has always been about "Mininess" and capturing the essence of the original 1959 vehicle. Applying too much by way of fashionable styling would spoil the whole concept.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
I have to say I've never looked at the rear bumper and felt it lacked anything. I find the moustache of the newest version a little challenging but am getting used to it!

·
Registered
973 Posts
some users from the german f56 mini forum reported another design flaw.
The red cable from the 12 battery is rubbing against the plastic cover.
Modifikationen am MINI Cooper SE
Thanks for mentioning this.

I asked the dealer to take a look at this (along with a few other little things) whilst it's in for the instrument cluster replacement. When they called earlier with an update, they said it had indeed started to show signs of wear from rubbing against the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts