Mini Cooper Forum banner

MINI Doesn't do so hot in JD Power Initial Quality Study

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Tiger 
#1 ·
JD Power's Initial Quality Study measures the number of problems customers experience with new cars in the first 90 days of ownership. MINI doesn't do so hot in the study this, finding its spot near the bottom of the ranking.

There are criticisms of the methodology though.

But the survey only measures consumers' impressions of new vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. It doesn't reflect longer-term quality and reliability — J.D. Power conducts separate studies that analyze those. It was based on responses from 86,000 new car buyers who responded to an online survey in May.
A lot of the reported problems also have to do with Bluetooth and audio systems, which are still problems, but aren't as serious as other mechanical problems that could possibly happen.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/fiat-flayed-2014-jd-power-initial-quality-study.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Far too early to determine Serious issues.
The Media issues could have been minimised if BMW had simply provided a Manual eliminating the need for Trial & Error.
Even I am nearly there with Nav,Phone,Radio & Media but it's not been much fun.
A slog but in reality the F56 is a step change in refinement,economy, performance & style.
And I'm not on commission.

#5 · (Edited)
Every car every brand has issues

All range rovers for arguments sake who have premium prices have exceptionally bad issues too likewise Jaguar - maybe not to the extent of the worse offending ones but they do have issues, and looking at Jaguar it's close to the top, land rover hovering with mini - with those prices!!!

The Audi reference and positioning is funny - Every Audi I've owned has had problems of some sorts the last being the worse all factory ordered

I know a lot of friends who have Audis who have problems - so this isn't just one brand kind of nightmare - affects and effects them all

Luck of the draw if you get a car and it's all good

#7 ·
Quick note: a guy at work used to deal with these surveys at Ford. He noted that they have to count anything less than a 5 (in a 1-5 scale) against them. So, if you rank your car as a 4, and note that something (like audio) was less than what you would like, it counts against them.

#9 ·
Do you guys find that there are a lot of problems with your MINIs, or was your experience counter to what JD Power has found in its study?

Its pretty incredible how poorly Fiat does. Even if this study isn't completely accurate, getting a score like Fiat's must not be a very good thing. Fiats sound terrible.

#11 ·
Fiat, and some other Italian cars and motorcyles, used to have issues with their electrics for some reason, and that was when car electrical systems were quite basic. I wonder how they are coping with more modern extremely complex systems.
Perhaps they have managed to escape from that bad reputation now, but the survey would seem to refute that.

#10 ·
With vw, mazda, Mitsubishi, and Subaru also doing badly, I imagine there are some issues with this.

Having said that, I have had a few issues with my new mini. They are common issues, which have now mostly been fixed though. First year of a new car is probably always a bumpy ride.

#12 ·
I don't see this as being necessarily a bad thing. Having spent a big chunk of my time (cough) on this forum over the past few months it does seem like the issues range from minor to catastrophic but as you would hope, the minor ones are far more prevalent than the bad ones.

It's good news that we have what are essentially support groups like this forum and it also means that there's less likelihood of any manufacturer hiding behind a lack of information from the owners side.

We've all still got our warranties so a slightly negative survey reinforces our rights and pushes BMW into sorting out any issues on their dime.

#13 ·
As a former Fiat Owner a 2012 500 Sport and 2012 500 Abarth I never again would own another FCA Product our Sport was in the Shop 23 times before Fiat bought it back under the Lemon Law. My Abarth with 18k on the Clock was ready to loose the Clutch. FCA Dealers never have any Parts in Stock and need to order it most of the time Parts are on Back Order. Customer Service just stinks pardon my French every time I had to talk to them a Root Canal would have been more fun. At least Mini makes an afford to fix a Problem and that is golden to me. I had to fight to get a Loaner with Fiat even to get a Call back from FCA Customer Service was a Joke and any defect on the Car they blamed the Driving Habits of the Owners.

I understand when you bring a new Car to Market you might have some start up hick ups sure some People get bend out of shape when an I phone does not work well with Bluetooth etc etc and blame it on the Mini. I never pay a lot attention to a Survey it might be a good Guideline what counts for me is the Service after the Sale. I am very Brand Loyal drove Mercedes for 22 Years because of the Service I received from my MB Dealers.

So far so good I am happy with the Car and the Service and if my Mini has too many Problems down the Road I just drive the Car out into the Desert and shoot it.:D:D

#14 ·
Well, I guess I'm one of the faithful now, since after all of my pondering and research I put the down payment on my new 2015 JCW (aka "Midnight") yesterday after taking a test drive in a new MCS at my Dealer.

I'm totally hooked! :)

Yeah, I read some of the consumer reports that didn't have some nice things to say about the MINI, but my gut tells me they are still relying on old news, not these F56 MINI's...they are too new for one thing.

This new MINI is awesome, it really doesn't feel bigger, seems more powerful and oh does it "DRIVE".

I'm a Bimmer guy with only rear wheel cars, but after driving the new MCS I realized "this is a front wheel drive machine!"...WOW...didn't even think about that while driving...I guess I was too busy smiling!

If you don't fall in love with this car, well, there's just something the matter with you plain & simple! :nerd:

I'm in the "wait mode" now, as the manual JCW isn't even in production yet, but hopefully it will be by mid-summer!

We'll look past the bad stuff, if there is any! My Dealer was great, outstanding facility and they treat customers right.

I truly believe I'll be in good hands should there be any problems.

Happy Motoring (Life is short, drive with a smile),

John

#15 ·
Having come from a Honda Ridgeline that has been 99% issue free from day one and on for 10 years, the standard that vehicle set is unrealistically high. That said, I'm not a particularly picky person... ok, my phone may not work quite right, there may be a rattle somewhere... little things don't generally bug me at all, but for some folks the little things are a big deal and I totally get that - and those things get reported.

The Mini is kind of a different animal, too. As you look out at the roads, you see a lot of people driving a lot of cars that are merely transportation. They look alike, sound alike, are all painted alike... they get in, turn the key, and as long as it goes from point A to point B they don't think much about it. Mini owners are not those people. You don't buy a Mini to be like everyone else - it's a brand culture of owners that, by and large, are enthusiasts... and like other brands that have owners that are enthusiasts, you can bet are going to expect more than the person that just went out an bought a white Hyundoyotasan Blandana.

As I peruse this forum, I'm seeing a fairly low number of what I consider serious issues... so that's good. I mean, not for the guy who's car is jumping out of 1st gear or the people with the dreaded "clonk", but overall, the vast majority of folk's cars are not leaving them stranded on the roadside or shedding parts or spontaneously decapitating the driver, so I'm encouraged that BMW pretty much has a handle on the car, is getting things worked down to smaller issues, and is responsive even to minor quality control-type problems. And that makes me feel reasonably confident that mine (which just got off the boat last night!) will be be a reliable, safe car and I can deal with a minor issue or two, disappointing as they may be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.