Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have a few questions about the car

1) How heavy is the steering? I prefer a car with heavier steering on the motorway or faster roads. My F56 is good in sport mode, is it as heavy as that?

2) How good is the parking pilot? Is it just a novelty to show friends or can you rely on it? Asking as I can’t parallel park to save my life

3) Can you have run flat tyres on the electric Mini? I can’t see an option but maybe you can choose it at the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts

1) How heavy is the steering? I prefer a car with heavier steering on the motorway or faster roads. My F56 is good in sport mode, is it as heavy as that?

2) How good is the parking pilot? Is it just a novelty to show friends or can you rely on it? Asking as I can’t parallel park to save my life

3) Can you have run flat tyres on the electric Mini? I can’t see an option but maybe you can choose it at the dealer.

Thanks!
3) Mini SE's shipping to the USA do NOT have run flats, and they are not an option. I don't know if UK residents have different options. One of the non run flat tires shipping from the plant is hankook ventus s1 evo3 205 45r17 on the SE.

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
607 Posts

Thanks!
Can’t comment on the steering as I have not driven other Minis.

As parking pilot was not an option when I got my car I can’t comment. I probably would not order it though as I never used it on other cars.

My car came with Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 3 tyres as standard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In sport mode, the steering wasn’t far off my JCW. Tighter and firmer. Bit more precise.
Run flats are standard on the SE ( just as they were on my JCW) but the ride is a lot more comfortable I’ve found. Not as heavy.
The parking pilot is excellent. Try it out somewhere out of the way. I used some of my mates cars in an empty-ish car park to try it. It is weird, always wanting to grab the steering, but follow the instructions on screen, and it works fine.

·
Super Moderator
7,714 Posts
As far as I am awareAkanaten runflats are not on UK Mini EV-LEVEL 1-ours certainly doesn't have them. No reason why you shouldn't fit them if you like them and some other levels MAY come with them- but I was very glad not to have them. The steering firms up in a similar way to any mini when put in sport mode-the press did criticise the EV steering for being sticky round the centre but that's very nit picking in my opinion-the feel is a bit different to the ICE mini as it's a heavier car but really not much different and you may prefer it-total hoot to drive-can't speak for park pilot at all.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
98 Posts
I've been scratching my head over whether or not my Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 205/45R17 K127 tyres are run flat types. Neither the Mini nor the Hankook website is very definitive on the subject. However, after some further research I believe that K127B tyres are run flat but plain K127 tyres are not. Some sources also suggest that Hankook run flats are marked 'HRS' which mine are not. My conclusion is that my 2020 Level 2 car isn't fitted with run flat tyres despite the fact that the owner's handbook seems to imply that Mini Electrics are fitted with them.

Alan

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The parking pilot worked well on my previous car - when it worked. Sometimes you would activate it but it would do nothing. Used it 3 times in as many years. I would only spec it now so I didn't have a blank toggle switch :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

Reason I’m asking is I am trying to decide whether to go for the level 2 or level 3. I am looking at getting the car on Motability which means it is only £1,000 to upgrade from L2 to L3 as opposed to the £4,000price difference that a private buyer would have to pay. I guess £1k for the panoramic roof and leather seats is worth it regardless of whether the parking pilot is any good lol. Also want the runflats because I find them more convenient as I struggle with sorting the tyre out if needed so being able to just drive to a garage is really useful.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have parking pilot on my Clubby, use it more to make sure a space is big enough than the actual parking. Has got me into a tighter spot than I would have thought possible on 1 occasion. It is also a talking point as quite a few people don't believe you when you say the car can park itself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been scratching my head over whether or not my Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 205/45R17 K127 tyres are run flat types. Neither the Mini nor the Hankook website is very definitive on the subject. However, after some further research I believe that K127B tyres are run flat but plain K127 tyres are not. Some sources also suggest that Hankook run flats are marked 'HRS' which mine are not. My conclusion is that my 2020 Level 2 car isn't fitted with run flat tyres despite the fact that the owner's handbook seems to imply that Mini Electrics are fitted with them.

Alan
I went down the exact same rabbit hole 2 months ago when I got my SE. My salesman said it had run flats, but I knew from reading forums that it most likely did not. I agree - K127B would be run flat, and the SE comes with K127.

·
Super Moderator
7,714 Posts
Usually runflats are clearly marked with the makers code Visit the New and Improved etyres but can't see hankook here who label theirs HRS so if it hasn't got that on them they are ordinary (and all the better for it!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts