Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After quite a few years away from mini ownership, I have decided to dip my toe in the EV market and plumbed for a Mini Electric.

I’ve spent a while looking at different makes and models such as the Corsa e, leaf, Zoe and when Mini announced the arrival of theirs in March I decided to take a serious look. I organised a test drive with the local dealership and took a level 2 out for what was really a very short drive around the block. Unfortunately, the sales guy had no clue about electric vehicles just what he’d read in the sales blurb and the fact it was quick off the mark!! Then within two weeks, we were in full lockdown and that was that.

However, the last few months of lockdowns have provided some time to do some research looking at forums such as this one and a number of YouTube vehicle reviews that have since appeared. So finally in September I again had the opportunity to visit the dealer but this time managed to speak to a salesman who had been driving one since lockdown and was a bit more clued up than the previous guy. The result was that I placed an order for a Level 2 in racing green with black cosmos wheels but with a proposed delivery of early December.

In the meantime, I have had the opportunity to have a vehicle for a couple of days and this just reinforced the decision to get one, I was smiling for days after and it just reinforces what other have said. You have to have one of these for a couple of days to get a real feel for what it’s like, not just a quick trip around the block!!

The current status is that I’ve had some build update emails from Mini with the latest indicating that it’s soon to ship but nothing from the dealer. I’ve looked at chargers and read a few reviews on BP Chargemaster (Mini linked supplier) and although the product seems good, Chargemaster gets a real slating. In the end, I have gone for a PodPoint, which is scheduled for install on 2nd December. Next step now is to switch energy supplier, which at the moment looks like it will be to the Octopus Go tariff. I understand that you need a VIN number to do this so I would be interested to find out other experiences of the switching process.

Finally, I look forward to posting some updates, once I finally get the car, on its range and general experiences.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Please post a picture and your thoughts. These cars are on many peoples minds :)

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
112 Posts
I got the VIN from the dealer, but your charger installer may be happy to just see the order form as mine would accept either. If you do want to move to OctopusEnergy then use my referral code and we both get £50 off our bills.

share.octopus.energy/ore-mouse-781

You will need a smart meter for the Go tariff. They will also not put you on it right away, you will start on the normal tariff. Send them an email asking to move to Go ASAP and they should do it once they have had some reliable smart meter readings. I was swapped to Go after a few days of joining them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the VIN from the dealer, but your charger installer may be happy to just see the order form as mine would accept either. If you do want to move to OctopusEnergy then use my referral code and we both get £50 off our bills.

share.octopus.energy/ore-mouse-781

You will need a smart meter for the Go tariff. They will also not put you on it right away, you will start on the normal tariff. Send them an email asking to move to Go ASAP and they should do it once they have had some reliable smart meter readings. I was swapped to Go after a few days of joining them.
Thanks Parky14,

I requested the VIN but nothing back from the dealer yet. As you mentioned the charger installer was happy with just the order but you have to submit the registration to OLEV within 28 days of the install, so hopefully no delays with the vehicle!

I'll probably sort the Octopus side closer to install date so I'll be sure to use your referral. We have a smart meter but I think it's the older SMETS1 and so will see if we need an upgrade when they try to read it.

For info for anyone adding a charger. We only have a 60A main fuse (70s house) so part of the prosses of adding the charger is to get the fuse upgraded to 80A, which is done by the network provider. Our installer is sorting this but this can occur after install so if this is the case they will fit a current clamp to monitor and protect the main fuse until upgraded.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did not have to submit anything to OLEV as the installer did all that for me. I used Chargemaster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not have to submit anything to OLEV as the installer did all that for me. I used Chargemaster.
I think this is because I only had the order number to go in the OLEV form. If I can get the VIN number before the install then there's no need to follow it up later as they'll submit.

I should add that one of the main reasons I went with Podpoint is that the tethered unit has a 7.5m lead, which gives me more flexibility than some of the other manufactures without buying another longer lead.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
We are having our pod point charger installed today-no issues not having a chassis number-simply the order form was fine by them-had them not bp as they were so good with father in law last year when he had a leaf.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don’t forget you can also get another tariff from OctopusEnergy called Go Further. It gives you the option to have different start times for the cheaper tariff, as early as 8:30pm and you can have a cheaper or dearer rate depending on how long you want the lower rate to be on, they range from 4.5p per kWh to 5.5p. It is a trial tariff and you have to ask them if you can be put on it, they may say no. I am on it and have the 5p rate for 4 hours from 8:30pm which means I use the dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, and most of my TV watching, lighting at the cheap rate. 😀😀😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update.

Contacted the dealer as a follow up to the email I had from Mini to say the car shipped out of Oxford and it had just arrived at the dealer, so handover is set for 7th Dec.

Also started the switch to Octopus Go. Thanks to Parky14 for the referral code. Hopefully, £50 on the way to you around Christmas. I could only get the fixed tariff for the time being but I'm ok with that.

Charger being installed on Wednesday, so fingers crossed should be all set to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
We had our 'car is on its way from Oxford on Wednesday but it doesn't seem to have arrived in Lincoln yet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had mine last week, strangely the day after they emailed to say they were painting it!!

I was expecting a call at the start of the week but ended up contacting them today. Couldn't wait any longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had mine last week, strangely the day after they emailed to say they were painting it!!

I was expecting a call at the start of the week but ended up contacting them today. Couldn't wait any longer.
Any news yet?

Octopus referral : share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134r

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick update.

Contacted the dealer as a follow up to the email I had from Mini to say the car shipped out of Oxford and it had just arrived at the dealer, so handover is set for 7th Dec.

Also started the switch to Octopus Go. Thanks to Parky14 for the referral code. Hopefully, £50 on the way to you around Christmas. I could only get the fixed tariff for the time being but I'm ok with that.

Charger being installed on Wednesday, so fingers crossed should be all set to go.
You can change to the Octopus Tracker tariff until you can get onto Go which is quite competitive I believe. I'm just in the process of joining Octopus Tracker as it looks like having smart meters installed may take some time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can change to the Octopus Tracker tariff until you can get onto Go which is quite competitive I believe. I'm just in the process of joining Octopus Tracker as it looks like having smart meters installed may take some time!
My switch date is set for the 14th so I was going to have a look if there were options to change. I think at the time I switched there wasn't really a difference in cost between the fixed and tracker so I went for the fixed.

Got a Reg from the dealer as well now, so looking forward to the 7th now :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My switch date is set for the 14th so I was going to have a look if there were options to change. I think at the time I switched there wasn't really a difference in cost between the fixed and tracker so I went for the fixed.

Got a Reg from the dealer as well now, so looking forward to the 7th now :)
We'll compare notes on the merits of Fixed and Tracker when we get up to speed. I'm supposed to be on supply on 9th December. Parky seems to be having some great results with Go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We'll compare notes on the merits of Fixed and Tracker when we get up to speed. I'm supposed to be on supply on 9th December. Parky seems to be having some great results with Go.
My existing supplier had just put their rate up so even on the fixed I'm saving!

A question I have is about how often you should put the car on charge? My work commute is 26 to 32 miles depending on the route and working on a worse case winter range and some social use, I think I'll need to charge around every 2-3 days. Or should I be topping up every day especially if it's cold and some preheating is required?

Does the manual give any details on charging frequency or are we all going to be learning this stuff over the coming month?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts