Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Mini Electric for one week, done 248 miles so far, here are my thoughts...
  • It’s quick, very impressed by the performance
  • It seems well built, nice quality
  • It is cheap to run for sure
Things that are a bit on the cheap side...
  • No door pocket or glove box lining
  • I miss Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Mini Logo puddle projector on drivers side only

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I saw in your one of your earlier posts that you were getting a home charger point, is that right?

Do you mind if I ask how much it costs to get that installed. Also, what sort of range do you get on a full charge and how much do you reckon a full charge costs?

I have no plans to acquire an electric mini, I have a petrol JCW, just interested in the setup. Thanks in advance (y)

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am getting a BP Chargemaster home wall box installed on Weds.

They cost £549 to purchase including installation. That includes a £300 discount from U.K. government (which BP Chargemaster sort out).

Costs of charging depend on your electricity providers tariff, I pay 13.5p per KWh. I drove to Southport and back yesterday, a total of 68 miles, I charged up on my return (using the slow 13amp socket method for now), and it cost me £2.23 in electric. I estimate it would have been £7.00 for the same trip in my petrol car.

My range at the moment is increasing every time I use the car as it assesses your driving style and power usage to report a more accurate range. I have seen a range of 124 miles shown and I believe that is accurate based on my trip yesterday. I did 68 miles with air con on and mid driving mode selected, when I got home I was at 55% charge remaining and 71 miles range remaining. So in theory a range of 139 miles, further if I had used Green mode.

A full charge from 0% to 100% at home should cost around £4.00 for which I will get 120 to 140 miles.
21F1F86F-779F-42EE-B1E2-91E3F771A7A1.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's interesting, thanks Parky. The cost of the Chargemaster is about on a par with a lot of the Mini add-on packs so it looks reasonable. That's very generous of the Govt. to pitch in like that, I can see that they want to incentivise the electric car market.

£2.23 for 60 miles, wow. When I drive mine I can hear the whistling sound as the petrol consumption siphons money out of my current account :LOL:

Presumably the Chargemaster will get the charging time down?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chargemaster should get the time down considerably.

0% to 80% in 3 hours 12 minutes.

In practice it will be quicker as I will never go down to 0%. I have only been down to 55% once. Times before that I have been around 80%.

·
Registered
726 Posts
On the one hand...127 miles makes me nervous. On the other...I don’t actually do more than 127 miles a day so it’d be absolutely fine. Wonder how much that’d drop though with my style of driving. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
On the one hand...127 miles makes me nervous. On the other...I don’t actually do more than 127 miles a day so it’d be absolutely fine. Wonder how much that’d drop though with my style of driving. :)
^^ This.

Also, I'm waiting for the electric JCW 😁

·
Registered
646 Posts
Really interesting stuff. I would be jumping at one of these cars, but for my 170 mile trip to work! Just not possible and those bigger cars with enough range are either not at all cool, or ridiculously expensive.

For now, I’ll follow posts like these in awe!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charger now installed, working great, smaller than I thought it would be.
Great install, very neat inside and out.

IMG_6221.jpg IMG_6223.jpg IMG_6222.jpeg

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mileage so far 411

Very happy with the performance and range to date.
Also pleased to see quite a few free public charging points in my area and places I visit.

For example Golden Square Car Park in Warrington Town Centre has 30 Polar devices with two 7KW charging ports on each device. That is 60 spaces for electric cars and it is FREE to use. Car park is also cheap, 2 to 4 hours £2.20.

I have also visited Quarry Bank Mill - National Trust this week, it has 4 charging ports 7KW each, again free to use. As I'm a NT member it is also free to park and visit.

Bents Garden Centre has a Tesla Charger which has a free charger port, which will charge up to
22 KW.

I have also signed up to Octopus Energy on their GO tariff.
It has a usual 14p per KWh rate during the day, so no difference there, but overnight they provide a 4 hour reduced rate of 5p per KWh, That is quite a saving and it is possible to recharge the Mini to 100% in that time.

Here is what a full charge would cost, I will never be charging from 0%, I have assumed I would be at 30% when I start charging.

Based on the above and not using any free public chargers I expect my annual mileage (8000 miles) to cost me a grand total of £96

Total cost for Year:
Electric: £96
Insurance: £360
Servicing £120

Total: £576

·
Registered
738 Posts
Going on fuel costs alone you are paying about 1.2p per mile, my Clubby Cooper S is costing about 15p per mile. Using 8,000 miles a year the difference is £1,104 for fuel. So in theory if you own the car for 5 years a difference of around £5,500 in initial cost will be made up in fuel savings.

From the Mini website
Basic Mini Electric price is £24,900
Basic Mini Hatch price is £16,200

Interesting to see where the balance point is for features vs running cost vs ownership experience 😀

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going on fuel costs alone you are paying about 1.2p per mile, my Clubby Cooper S is costing about 15p per mile. Using 8,000 miles a year the difference is £1,104 for fuel. So in theory if you own the car for 5 years a difference of around £5,500 in initial cost will be made up in fuel savings.

From the Mini website
Basic Mini Electric price is £24,900
Basic Mini Hatch price is £16,200

Interesting to see where the balance point is for features vs running cost vs ownership experience 😀
Actually that is not a fair comparison.
A better comparison would be a Cooper S Sport in terms of performance, plus you would have to adda few packs and options to get to a similar spec as the Level 2 electric.

My car was £26,900

A Cooper S Sport to the same spec cost £27,900

So like for like (or as close as you can get) the electric is £1000 cheaper.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Be interesting to see how they hold their price. I picked up my MCS for just over 14k at 2 years old with 18k miles on the clock. Its spec would probably have put it around the 26k mark new. A little more actually because it came with the JCW Tuning kit too, but the dealer I got it from hadn’t noticed it before I put a deposit down so it should probably have been priced a little higher. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Parky, when you say these charging points are free to use, do you mean the electricity doesn't cost you anything? I think I've missed something here.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Parky, when you say these charging points are free to use, do you mean the electricity doesn't cost you anything? I think I've missed something here.
Yes the electricity does not cost anything. Free fuel for anyone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts