Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I thought I would try a nice gentle drive, no mad acceleration, stick to speed limits, use Green mode to see what happens to the range, etc. Here are the stats for my drive.

At 6.0 miles/kWh I should have a range of 173.4 miles..... based on a usable battery capacity of 28.9kWh

6.0 * 28.9 = 173.4 miles. I think I can see a longer test in the near future, watch this space.

My drive was 70% of distance at 30mph with 10% at 20 mph, the rest (20%) was at 60mph. So a mixed journey, typical for me and one I will do on a regular basis (to my parents and back). The figures above were just for the return journey, the outward journey was actually better, but there were some boy racers at the lights on the way home and I could not resist....... ;)

Registered
I have read that the SE from a stop/start is surprising quicker off the mark than other cars with higher performance simply cause the electric motor is quicker. So will beat other cars at the lights even though it is slower to the 60mph mark. I am sure with time govts will add taxes to recover the revenue they lost from petrol taxes to pay for roads. I am more interested in the real world range and how long to top up half a tank. For me the range is still shy of what I would require or feel comfortable with living in the country and a trip to the city being right on the SE stated range. If I can topup half a tank at service station pit stop (10-30 minute) then it could do. But the electric charging stations are still fairly thin on the ground at least in Australia. Making it difficult option also as a road trip car. For it to be a practical option for me. But great execution by Mini, I do wish they had a option to add another 100 miles of range for rural drivers. The fact maintenance costs are practically nil makes it compelling option. There is no oil or water to worry about like in a traditional car. Thanks for posting your experience with the SE.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Topping up the 鈥渢ank鈥 from say 50% should be possible in 30 mins on a 50 kWh rapid charger. When I actually get around to needing a rapid charger I will report back and let you know how long to top it off.

There is still water in the washer bottle, no escaping that bit of maintenance :D

0 to 37 mph is done in 3.9 seconds, and real world tests put the 0-60 time at 6.9 seconds. It is just so surprising how quick and smooth it accelerates. Especially as there is no thinking about and then changing gears ( as it has none).

As for maintenance I am also expecting to never need replacement break pads as the only time I seem to use them are when other drivers do something unexpected. I can drive whole trips of 30 miles or more and never use the foot break due to the excellent regenerative breaking.

Registered
What are these like on the motorway? still plenty of go for overtaking etc. My commute is 20 miles each way but most of that is done on the M60 and i've heard that motorway speeds really hammer the range.

Registered
Actually that is not a fair comparison.
A better comparison would be a Cooper S Sport in terms of performance, plus you would have to adda few packs and options to get to a similar spec as the Level 2 electric.

My car was 拢26,900

A Cooper S Sport to the same spec cost 拢27,900

So like for like (or as close as you can get) the electric is 拢1000 cheaper.
That's why it is interesting to do all the comparisons

The Mini offers make it even more confusing
Mini Electric Level 2 - 拢4,500 deposit, 拢329 per month, 5.9%APR. Final payment 拢10,794.75
Mini Hatch Cooper S Sport or Exclusive - 拢2,000 deposit, 拢290 per month, 3.9%APR. Final payment 拢8,614.53

Guess it depends on al the factors for each individual. It is good to hear how the electric is working for a real owner using it in the real World rather than all the car reviewers who have one for a week or so.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What are these like on the motorway? still plenty of go for overtaking etc. My commute is 20 miles each way but most of that is done on the M60 and i've heard that motorway speeds really hammer the range.
On the motorway it is just as impressive, it takes off from 50 or higher with just as much zest.
It hits the top speed of 93 really quickly and it is then limited in software.

Registered
In conversation with a friend who is a retired engineer and Nissan Leaf user, what 鈥榟ammers鈥 electric vehicles on motorways is the high discharge rate which happens at high speed. He took his Leaf on a trip from Reading to Edinburgh (and back) and found that although it was manageable it did heat up if he kept it much above 60 MPH for too long. The batteries got so hot that the car self-limited itself to 30 MPH as he was coming into Glasgow; fortunately he was off the Motorway by then. The cooling system on the Leaf is larger than a typical ICE car of its size and has two fans.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
In conversation with a friend who is a retired engineer and Nissan Leaf user, what 鈥榟ammers鈥 electric vehicles on motorways is the high discharge rate which happens at high speed. He took his Leaf on a trip from Reading to Edinburgh (and back) and found that although it was manageable it did heat up if he kept it much above 60 MPH for too long. The batteries got so hot that the car self-limited itself to 30 MPH as he was coming into Glasgow; fortunately he was off the Motorway by then. The cooling system on the Leaf is larger than a typical ICE car of its size and has two fans.
That's a specific problem with the Nissan Leaf which has no Battery Thermal Management.
The Mini Electric has Battery Thermal Management so it is not an issue.

From Mini.....
"The motor and battery utilize a water / glycol mixture for heating and cooling. Separate circuits are used, utilizing a heat pump system.

Registered
That's a specific problem with the Nissan Leaf which has no Battery Thermal Management.
The Mini Electric has Battery Thermal Management so it is not an issue.

From Mini.....
"The motor and battery utilize a water / glycol mixture for heating and cooling. Separate circuits are used, utilizing a heat pump system.
Interesting, thanks.

Registered
Chargemaster should get the time down considerably.

0% to 80% in 3 hours 12 minutes.

In practice it will be quicker as I will never go down to 0%. I have only been down to 55% once. Times before that I have been around 80%.
3hrs+ though could be inconvenient if you were low but needed to go out? Still on the fence with any EV myself ...

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
3hrs+ though could be inconvenient if you were low but needed to go out? Still on the fence with any EV myself ...

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
That is why you should always put on charge when you get home. ABC - Always Be Charging.

You could go to a rapid charger and get to 80% from 0 in 35 mins

Registered
I've had an electric Mini for a little ride. It's an impressive car. The 0-60 figures are rather strange: I had the impression to ride a much more powerful car.
The only thing I can say: try one !

Super Moderator
Totally agree Mini M we had one yesterday and bought one. It feels far far far faster than our 228bhp clubman jcw, just got out grinning from ear to ear.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Most car tests online have Mini Electric performance levels much better than the manufacturers stated times. I wonder if MINI are stating a slower 0-60 time time so they don鈥檛 affect sales of the ICE models, or get bad press for having slower ICE performance cars?
I have seen reviews where they have managed 6.7 secs for 0-60. I think it is also the complete lack of gear changes and the one continuous application of power that impresses.

Registered
I am getting a BP Chargemaster home wall box installed on Weds.

They cost 拢549 to purchase including installation. That includes a 拢300 discount from U.K. government (which BP Chargemaster sort out).

Costs of charging depend on your electricity providers tariff, I pay 13.5p per KWh. I drove to Southport and back yesterday, a total of 68 miles, I charged up on my return (using the slow 13amp socket method for now), and it cost me 拢2.23 in electric. I estimate it would have been 拢7.00 for the same trip in my petrol car.

My range at the moment is increasing every time I use the car as it assesses your driving style and power usage to report a more accurate range. I have seen a range of 124 miles shown and I believe that is accurate based on my trip yesterday. I did 68 miles with air con on and mid driving mode selected, when I got home I was at 55% charge remaining and 71 miles range remaining. So in theory a range of 139 miles, further if I had used Green mode.

A full charge from 0% to 100% at home should cost around 拢4.00 for which I will get 120 to 140 miles. View attachment 70066 View attachment 70066
Have you had any problems with your chargemaster?

I'll be getting one free so I've been doing a bit of research and the reviews aren't good. From long wait times for installation to poor after sales service and app issues.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts